Avatar image for wallacethegreat
WallacetheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 17

Edited By WallacetheGreat

Here are a few of my thoughts on the games I have been playing/have played recently.

Saints Row 2

Oh no you di'int!
Oh no you di'int!
While I won't go as far to say that Saint's Row 2 is better than GTA4, I will admit I had a more enjoyable experience (at least terms of gameplay). The realism in GTA4 really detracted from the fun outside of Niko's story. I remember that after completing the last mission, I felt that there was not much else to do. Sure there were collectibles and other things, but I never felt compelled to seek out those distractions. And while the plot of Saint's Row 2 cannot compare to the srsnss of its open-world cousin's, the extra content and absurd gameplay elements make it feels more like GTA: Arcade Edition.

Fable 2

The first few hours of Fable 2 did not win me over, but once I got used to some of the game's "quirks" it became clear how good the game was. The main quest is not the greatest I've ever seen, and the ending is humorous as long as you don't "jump the gun." The thing that really surprised me is how well crafted some of the side quests are. Albion itself does not seem as large or full as I thought, but that may be because the in-game maps are terrible. Above all that, being able to have a gay marriage to a prostitute named Larry assures that this game will stay on my shelf for a long time.

Fallout 3

They blew it all up, DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!
I'll come out and say this immediately: I don't think Fallout 3 is a first-person shooter. When your accuracy is dependent on a virtual dice roll and not your skill, the game is not a real FPS. While VATS is an acceptable alternative, I can't help but feel that it was used as an excuse to keep their stat-based accuracy idea. If Fallout 3 used more structured shooter conventions (i.e. linear segments and gunplay based on the player's accuracy) I would have considered this more than just Oblivion-with-guns. Sorry if I have offended you, but it needed to be said. Other than that, and the poorly timed scripted sequences, the game is pretty good. The world seems a bit empty, but what would you expect after a bomb destroyed everything. Some side quests are fun, and yield some interesting lootz and costumes. The main quest itself is surprisingly good too, but having an open world that can't be explored after the main quest is completed (no matter what ending you receive) seems a bit odd.

Far Cry 2

I have mixed feelings about Far Cry 2. While I really like the immersion and detail put into the environment, but the actual game mechanics are my main complaint. The constant patrols and guard posts can become a definite annoyance over time, and the weapon degradation system is downright ridiculous. Sadly I have not been following the story (if it exists) but what I have read from the loading screens hasn't excited me at all. Even though it sounds like I hate Far Cry 2, I am having a good time. The elements I like thankfully outweigh all of the disappointing parts, but once I'm done with the campaign this might be a trade-in.

Resistance 2

From what I've played, this game is a good substitute to those who still refuse to buy an Xbox 360. The campaign seems pretty "meh" but co-op and competitive multiplayer are an great improvement over the original.

Gears of War 2

Better than Gears 1 in every way. It's fantastic, pure and simple. The only thing I've found to be odd, and funny, is the dialogue. Cheesy lines abound, and the moments when I see Marcus and Dom act like anything other than badass soldiers makes me physically laugh out loud.

Dead Space

I cannot express in words my need to play Dead Space. I so badly want to play more, but the holiday rush has put it on the back-burner. Extreme sad-face.

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to make up for the long absence.
Avatar image for wallacethegreat
WallacetheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By WallacetheGreat

Here are a few of my thoughts on the games I have been playing/have played recently.

Saints Row 2

Oh no you di'int!
Oh no you di'int!
While I won't go as far to say that Saint's Row 2 is better than GTA4, I will admit I had a more enjoyable experience (at least terms of gameplay). The realism in GTA4 really detracted from the fun outside of Niko's story. I remember that after completing the last mission, I felt that there was not much else to do. Sure there were collectibles and other things, but I never felt compelled to seek out those distractions. And while the plot of Saint's Row 2 cannot compare to the srsnss of its open-world cousin's, the extra content and absurd gameplay elements make it feels more like GTA: Arcade Edition.

Fable 2

The first few hours of Fable 2 did not win me over, but once I got used to some of the game's "quirks" it became clear how good the game was. The main quest is not the greatest I've ever seen, and the ending is humorous as long as you don't "jump the gun." The thing that really surprised me is how well crafted some of the side quests are. Albion itself does not seem as large or full as I thought, but that may be because the in-game maps are terrible. Above all that, being able to have a gay marriage to a prostitute named Larry assures that this game will stay on my shelf for a long time.

Fallout 3

I'll come out and say this immediately: I don't think Fallout 3 is a first-person shooter. When your accuracy is dependent on a virtual dice roll and not your skill, the game is not a real FPS. While VATS is an acceptable alternative, I can't help but feel that it was used as an excuse to keep their stat-based accuracy idea. If Fallout 3 used more structured shooter conventions (i.e. linear segments and gunplay based on the player's accuracy) I would have considered this more than just Oblivion-with-guns. Sorry if I have offended you, but it needed to be said. Other than that, and the poorly timed scripted sequences, the game is pretty good. The world seems a bit empty, but what would you expect after a bomb destroyed everything. Some side quests are fun, and yield some interesting lootz and costumes. The main quest itself is surprisingly good too, but having an open world that can't be explored after the main quest is completed (no matter what ending you receive) seems a bit odd.

Far Cry 2

I have mixed feelings about Far Cry 2. While I really like the immersion and detail put into the environment, but the actual game mechanics are my main complaint. The constant patrols and guard posts can become a definite annoyance over time, and the weapon degradation system is downright ridiculous. Sadly I have not been following the story (if it exists) but what I have read from the loading screens hasn't excited me at all. Even though it sounds like I hate Far Cry 2, I am having a good time. The elements I like thankfully outweigh all of the disappointing parts, but once I'm done with the campaign this might be a trade-in.

Resistance 2

From what I've played, this game is a good substitute to those who still refuse to buy an Xbox 360. The campaign seems pretty "meh" but co-op and competitive multiplayer are an great improvement over the original.

Gears of War 2

Better than Gears 1 in every way. It's fantastic, pure and simple. The only thing I've found to be odd, and funny, is the dialogue. Cheesy lines abound, and the moments when I see Marcus and Dom act like anything other than badass soldiers makes me physically laugh out loud.

Dead Space

I cannot express in words my need to play Dead Space. I so badly want to play more, but the holiday rush has put it on the back-burner. Extreme sad-face.

Sorry for the long post, but I needed to make up for the long absence.
citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 106

#2  Edited By citizenkane

I definitely need to check out Dead Space.  I'll give it a rental.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Black_Rose

PINK SPIDER!

Pleasureizmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Pleasureizmine
caption
caption
super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By super_machine

Dead space was great. I didnt  expect to play it as much as I did.