Is The Fast and the Furious the best film series of all time?

• 130 results
BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't think Fast and Furious even gets close to be one of the best series, let alone be the best.

But I do agree with you opinion on Marvel, Harry Potter and horror movies. I would easily put Fast and Furious (and so many others) above those.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

I think you wouldn't like them so much if you hadn't watched them with commentary from the duders. That's how I feel about them anyways. Never watched any of them, then watched them all for the first time with their commentary. I've re-watched 5 & 6 without commentary and have seen 8. 5 is pretty fantastic and the back half of 6 is as well. The rest I don't think I would be able to enjoy without the memories of the duders commentary in the back of my head. But me and a friend are going to watch them for his first time and I'm sure that'll be fun.

Ok sure why not. Mission Impossible got fun while Marvel got less fun--Iron Man trilogy is the best they've done. No idea how well LoTR holds up. I'm pretty negative on Star Wars. So ya sure F & F is the best series, cop.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'll let you have that opinion but you're not correct. At best the 4 "good ones" are anywhere between great action movie to "that was alright" (with enthusiasm) action movie.

I do enjoy the Marvel movies even though a lot of them are mostly meddling. The Harry Potter series I respect a lot given how hard novels of this reverence are to adapt to film and doing that mostly well. LotR is great no caveats (The Hobbit not so much but there is some good there with a lot of bad). Star Wars while hit and miss is a groundbreaking series. Mission Impossible is a unique series with each film incredibly different and showcases the diversity of directorial vision. The Godfather is The Godfather. And finally The Matrix I actively enjoy despite the "bad ones." These are the series I think are better then FandF off the top of my head.

Slaps2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Harry Potter is lame.

What detail! What reasoning! You, sir or madam... are amazing.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Haha, nah.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slaps2 said:
@flasaltine said:

Harry Potter is lame.

What detail! What reasoning! You, sir or madam... are amazing.

I'm very well spoken.

InternetDotCom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Air Bud got to Space before Fast and Furious

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

It's hard to decide how to weight bad movies in a series. Like, do a good and a bad movie cancel out, like 1 and -1 or is more like and 80% good movie and a 40% good movie average out to a 60 % good movie so net positive? Anyway, if we're talking 4 movies plus and requiring the same characters it's a pretty short list. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Middle Earth, arguably Iron Man (since he's in the avengers movies and Civil War). But how about X-Men? 1 & 2 were both pretty strong, 4 was great, 3 was awful, 5 was average... probably still better than Fast and Furious?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lord of the Rings is the correct answer.

But just off the trip of my head,

Rocky

Die hard

Alien

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#60  Edited By big_jon

No, it's terrible.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still have to watch any of those movies, but no.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hard to decide how to weight bad movies in a series. Like, do a good and a bad movie cancel out, like 1 and -1 or is more like and 80% good movie and a 40% good movie average out to a 60 % good movie so net positive? Anyway, if we're talking 4 movies plus and requiring the same characters it's a pretty short list. Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Middle Earth, arguably Iron Man (since he's in the avengers movies and Civil War). But how about X-Men? 1 & 2 were both pretty strong, 4 was great, 3 was awful, 5 was average... probably still better than Fast and Furious?

I think we weight bad movies on the "So bad it's good scale". Basically the watchability scale.

2 Fast gets a +1 for that. I'd say Fast 4 gets a 0.

Star Wars prequels get -1 because they are just boring

Still haven't seen the X-Men movies but they are comic book stuff so -1 to all.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By MocBucket62

Naw, the earlier movies hold it down, unfortunately. The best film series either goes to The Lord of the Rings or Toy Story. Godfather would be up there had the third film wasn't something that people want to forget about its existence.

I was gonna bring up Batman considering Burton's and Nolan's movies (heck throw in the Lego Batman Movie too), but Schumacher's films disqualify Batman from contention.

EDIT: How can I forget about James Bond? That's another worthy contender.

Avatar image for librorumprohibitorum
LibrorumProhibitorum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's the greatest story ever told.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

007....../thread

jsnyder82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Movie series that are absolutely better than FF:

Romero's Dead trilogy

The Ernest Franchise

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean, I've seen 3 films in this series and I've disliked all of them. So that's not a good start. That being said it's not like there are a lot of film series that are good or have kept up in quality, let alone improved over time.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah, the real answer is Planet of the Apes.

Everyone praised Fast & Furious 6 for how it used its own timeline problems to its advantage, well I give you Escape from the Planet of the Apes, which did it forty years earlier.

I'm only sort of kidding.

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm not enough of a movie buff to argue otherwise. Also I've fallen asleep on any attempt to watch LOTR past the first movie. The arc of F&F is what really makes it. I say it wins by default.

Pilgore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can't be serious....

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Fast and The Furious movies are mostly awful. I get liking them for being so dumb and progressively over the top, but come on. That said I don't think there are many film series I would consider consistently good enough. One exception would be Evil Dead. Those are all fantastic movies. Mad Max would be a solid choice as well.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#74  Edited By ArtisanBreads

Not even in the top 10. I don't think the series is ever remotely near any greats even at its best too so I don't have it highly ranked. Even with some shitty later movies, Alien and Aliens are both so, so much better than any FF movie. I would say the same about Star Wars, Terminator, Rocky, Die Hard, Indiana Jones, Batman, etc.

spiceninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

Absolutely not. And this comes from someone who hasn't seen any of them.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Absolutely not. And this comes from someone who hasn't seen any of them.

That is not how the "and this comes from someone" qualifier works.

talacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By talacho

Well...

"OK. Here we go"

Loading Video...

But seriously ROCKY is the best series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fast movies have really gone down hill since 6 and it's been boring ever since for me at least.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This reminds me; I should start a thread called "Is Fall Out Boy the best band of all time?"

Retris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pink Panther is the best long running movie series ever, I will fight anyone who claims otherwise.

As for F&F? I'd say the series has about the same batting average as the Police Academy movies and I don't see anyone claiming that Police Academy is the best movie series ever

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

They're making a Toy Story 4, so once that comes out, it will probably legit be the best movie series with more than 3 films in it.

For now I would say it's Rocky though.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They're making a Toy Story 4, so once that comes out, it will probably legit be the best movie series with more than 3 films in it.

For now I would say it's Rocky though.

That was my exact thought coming into this due to the criteria of requiring more than 3 films (so I guess that means a minimum of 4) so I too went with Rocky. Afterwards I thought maybe Evil Dead but the Rocky series probably holds the test of time a bit better.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By Ezekiel

@gnomeonfire said:

I can't even remember the previous three that well. I don't like CG animation very much. It doesn't look as good as traditional animation. I rented Wall-E a few weeks ago and still haven't watched it. I last saw it in the cinema when it came out and wasn't that impressed with it. As I'm looking at the Blu-ray version, I'm thinking, "This would look better drawn." CG is sterile. Even in live action movies, it's usually better in moderation, often to enhance what's already there. I wish Disney started drawing movies again. The latest 2D movies didn't do poorly because they were 2D, they did poorly because they weren't very good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@j_unit2008: Like F&F, Fallout Boy has 2 really good entries: Take This To Your Grave is an amazing pop-punk album, and From Under The Cork Tree is a great alternative rock album--for lack of a better term.

elyhaym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By elyhaym

Hah, no.

Welding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are all pretty bad. Half the series is fun. The other half is ironically fun.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#88  Edited By BBAlpert

If you were to take the standpoint that "the market is always right, so the film series that has made the most money is the best film series," then (I think) F&F would be among the best (if not THE best). Those movies have made CRAZY amounts of money worldwide. I'm not 100% sure but I think somehow more* than Marvel, Star Wars, LotR, James Bond, and* Harry Potter. I vaguely remember hearing some explanation for that success being partially due to the fact that even though some of those franchises do better in specific territories, F&F movies do at a bare minimum "pretty well" just about everywhere.

*I don't remember if this took inflation or merchandising into account

**Not combined, of course.

*edit: I seem to have been mistaken, and was probably thinking of some headlines about how as of when Furious 7 came out, it had the 2nd biggest box-office opening weekend.

KirkyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love F&F - Tokyo Drift GOAT - but... For me, the best - super long/prolific - series is probably the Star Trek movies, even though a fair few of them are, well, kinda awful. (And, honestly, the franchise is much better suited to television than it ever will be cinema.)

I like/love:

The Motion Picture

The Wrath of Khan

The Search for Spock

The Voyage Home

The Undiscovered Country

First Contact

Insurrection (Yes, really. I even like the bit with the singing.)

Beyond

I either dislike or outright despise:

The Final Frontier

ST2009

Into Darkness

Nemesis

Generations

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert said:

If you were to take the standpoint that "the market is always right, so the film series that has made the most money is the best film series," then (I think) F&F would be among the best (if not THE best). Those movies have made CRAZY amounts of money worldwide. I'm not 100% sure but I think somehow more* than Marvel, Star Wars, LotR, James Bond, and* Harry Potter. I vaguely remember hearing some explanation for that success being partially due to the fact that even though some of those franchises do better in specific territories, F&F movies do at a bare minimum "pretty well" just about everywhere.

*I don't remember if this took inflation or merchandising into account

**Not combined, of course.

I would like to see proof of that statement, since that seems highly unlikely to me. At least in regards to marvel, star wars and james bond.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By BrainScratch

@gnomeonfire said:

I don't think Fast and Furious is even close to being one of the best movie franchises out there, but Fast and Furious would easily be a best movie franchise faster than Toy Story. The only redeeming quality of Toy Story 3 was it's animation because the rest of the movie is pretty much just a copy of Toy Story 2 but even worse in every way. And Toy Story 2 was already pretty below average to begin with.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@zeushbien: I just looked it up and I was off on a number of things. Depending on which numbers you look at and how you look at them, F&F isn't above Marvel, Bond, Star Wars, etc, but it is still somewhere in the top 10-20 highest grossing franchises.

I think what I may have been thinking of was something about biggest opening weekends, and it was probably some time around when Furious 7 came out. As of F7's opening weekend (early April 2015), it was the second highest-grossing opening weekends worldwide (the first being Deathly Hallows pt 2).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_openings_for_films

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert said:

@zeushbien: I just looked it up and I was off on a number of things. Depending on which numbers you look at and how you look at them, F&F isn't above Marvel, Bond, Star Wars, etc, but it is still somewhere in the top 10-20 highest grossing franchises.

I think what I may have been thinking of was something about biggest opening weekends, and it was probably some time around when Furious 7 came out. As of F7's opening weekend (early April 2015), it was the second highest-grossing opening weekends worldwide (the first being Deathly Hallows pt 2).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_openings_for_films

Fair enough. Thanks for clearing it up. I'm sure F&F is really popular, but that just seemed a tad too much ;)

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By kcin

Is The Fast and the Furious the best film series of all time?

no

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

No, no it isn't.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Rocky (Rocky V is not enough to pull the series down)

Toy Story

Lord of the Rings - none of those films are bad, they are just less good than the others (I am not including The Hobbit series in this, though those films are good too, there should have just been 2 films instead of 3)

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

There are like 3 decent movies and the rest are garbage. No chance.

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By Ungodly

They are fun and a good distraction, but not much more than that.

Also do people really like Tokyo Drift? Lucas Black has next to no charisma for me, and just seems like a poor man's souther style Paul Walker... Also the movie as a whole, just felt like the Karate Kid II in my opinion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The entire franchise is stupid trashy bullshit, but that's why I like it.