Is there a "Pray for the Iranian Voters!" wagon going around?

LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By LeoMinor

If so, it must have skipped my town.  I'm seeing alot of younger people either on TV or online (even here) acting interested and pissed about the election they had over in Iran.  And I think it's more of a fad for teens to cling to and act passionate about then people actually giving two shits about what's going on over there.  These are probably the same people bitching that the lady at Starbucks didn't put enough whipped cream on her coffee.  Just wondering if anyone else noticed this?

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By LiquidPrince

Maybe you are too young, but if the election results stay as it does, both America and Israel will have major beef with Iran that could lead to heavy warfare.

Supermarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Supermarius

Well having people care about democracy and freedom for a couple weeks is better than them ignoring it totally. A fad is way better than nothing.

LeoMinor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By LeoMinor
@LiquidPrince: My argument is against the people my age jumping on the "fad wagon" and acting like they give a shit about these countries in front of TV cameras.  I never said anything about my view on the election itself.   
Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Drebin_893
@LeoMinor said:
" If so, it must have skipped my town.  I'm seeing alot of younger people either on TV or online (even here) acting interested and pissed about the election they had over in Iran.  And I think it's more of a fad for teens to cling to and act passionate about then people actually giving two shits about what's going on over there.  These are probably the same people bitching that the lady at Starbucks didn't put enough whipped cream on her coffee.  Just wondering if anyone else noticed this? "
How dare they be scared about all out warfare and empathise with fellow human beings! People have a range of opinions on a range of subjects.
LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince

Maybe they give a shit because they don't want World War III with nucleur bombs flying all over. All three countries stated have some sort of nucleur technology. America itself could probably destroy the world if it entered full scale war.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Suicrat

I'm seeing a few confusing presumptions being made. First of all, the notion that if people in the Occident (I am tired of saying 'West', but that's another matter) express their support for the challenger (as opposed to the incumbent) in a middle-eastern country's election, you are sending the message that you don't want war.

When Oceanians demonstrate a clear pattern of supporting incumbents in (relatively) friendly places and supporting the opposition in (relatively) hostile places, the message is sent that we don't want stability in the middle east (especially when support for the opposition drives people to equivocate when the opposition causes social disruption), we want chaos. And let us not pretend that Occidental support for regimes outside their realm is trending along the lines of embracing human rights. Allies of the Occidental Orthodoxy realm (EU, USA, NATO, every where they intersect, and elsewhere as well -- i.e., Australia) are just as blatant violators of individual/human rights as the places which are hostile.

People in North America have gravitated to Mousavi for superficial reasons: he appeals to youth, he campaigns with his wife, and he is the most popular opposer of Ahmadinejad. Perhaps the 'free-thinkers' in Iran who voted for him did so strategically, because he is just as much a part of the political orthodoxy as Ahmadinejad is, he just projects an Occident-friendly image. Which, combined with this realm's support for him and those who voted for him merely add to the perception among those who oppose him that he is a Western puppet.

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mikevanpwn
@LiquidPrince said:
" Maybe you are too young, but if the election results stay as it does, both America and Israel will have major beef with Iran that could lead to heavy warfare. "
America wouldn't commit military force over a fixed election.  

------------

And I'm with LeoMinor, people have latched onto support for the Iranian people, which is awesome, but I feel that no one really knows whats going on over there.  In the end it wont matter who's president as long as they have that Supreme Ruler, Ayatollah Ali Kahmenei, the guy who really holds the power of the country.

I will now predict the future.  Iran further pursues its nuclear program. The UN pushes new "drastic sanctions" on Iran.  Israel bombs Iran's Nuclear reactors. 
demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By demonbear
@LiquidPrince said:
" Maybe they give a shit because they don't want World War III with nucleur bombs flying all over. All three countries stated have some sort of nucleur technology. America itself could probably destroy the world if it entered full scale war. "
Thats bullshit, if they were really afraid of nuclear threats, we'd be fighting North Korea by now...
Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By Gunner
@mikevanpwn said:
"
@LiquidPrince said:
" Maybe you are too young, but if the election results stay as it does, both America and Israel will have major beef with Iran that could lead to heavy warfare. "
"
we did over invisible "weapons of mass destruction".

hopefully the obama administration is smarter than that though.
vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By vidiot

Can I please, be able to honestly have hope for a group of people that are currently on the streets screaming for some form of democratic process to work, without an overabundant amount of sarcastic skepticism? Your going to get bandwagons regardless, but I've been following this election since the debates. I don't know how far I have to go, in order to have legit concerns for the people over their.

Yes, I know that there is only one real vote that matters there.
Yes, even if the opposition is elected, Iran may/will probably still pursue their weapons program.

But eight people died yesterday for protesting. Their own government practically bragged about it on state news. My god.
My hat goes off to the people on the streets.

I hope something dramatic, and positive happens to the Iranian government after all this.

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mikevanpwn
@Gunner said:
"
@mikevanpwn said:
"
@LiquidPrince said:
"
we did over invisible "weapons of mass destruction". hopefully the obama administration is smarter than that though. "
The Iraq issue is beyond black and white, I'm not defending the war, but the issues that led the US to invade Iraq are more complex than they are percieved.  Iran is also a complex issue, but its a completely different ball game.  In reality, the Iranian President doesn't hold the true power of the country, so the US wouldn't go to war over a domestic issue involving a fixed election to an office that really doesn't matter that much in the big picture.