It's that time again: Winter Driving

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By FrankCanada97

Well, for some of us GiantBombers, the snow has arrived in full force. This means the expected chore of winter driving. Are you prepared? Sure, some of the lucky ones may never get snow due to your geographical area, but for others winter driving raises everyone's ire. What are your experiences with winter driving? For me, it is a chore because of slowing commutes and the sudden appearance of bad drives. Well, GiantBomb, are you ready for winter driving?

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By RipTheVeins

This will actually be my first winter driving experience... I've managed to avoid it, thus far, but now I'm not so lucky.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By FrankCanada97
@RipTheVeins: Really? Where do you live? If it's somewhere will snow is a rare occurrence, it may very well be a painful experience.
RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RipTheVeins
@FrankCanada97:  In DeKalb, Illinois.  It actually gets a substantial amount of snow every year, I've just never had to drive anywhere in winter before since I used to just walk to school--but now I have to drive to school, now that I go to college.
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By gingertastic_10

As @RipTheVeins said, this is also my first winter driving. Here in Indiana we haven't had any snow yet (at least where I live). But it's really cold though.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Hooray for the slight possibility of snow storms that could make days-off happen.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By DanielJW

Mhm. My town got hit full force with snow this weekend. It was clear as day Thursday night, then snowed from Friday morning straight through to night.  

It's picking up again now, I believe.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#8  Edited By vager
@RipTheVeins said:

"This will actually be my first winter driving experience... I've managed to avoid it, thus far, but now I'm not so lucky. "

My first time involved successfully dodging a spinning car. Scary stuff.  

I live in Winnipeg, also known as Winterpeg.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Xeiphyer
@FrankCanada97: Where 'aboots' do you live? I'm in Calgary, AB, and we got some unholy amount of snow.. like a foot and a half or so..
Plus we have -20 all week lined up.. tomorrow a high of -20, low of -28 (celcius)

So its been terrible!
toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By toowalrus

It's snowing in Michigan again. My car started to slip a little, and I was like... Oh, yeah. Winter.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FrankCanada97
@Xeiphyer: Toronto, we've been lucky so far no snow for all of November, but I think it's on the way coming next week. It seems that most Toronto drivers are horrid in the snow. I guess we are so innately afraid of the snow, that we've blocked out everything having to do with winter from our minds, including winter driving. I'm sure you have also heard how our former mayor, Mel Lastman, called in the Canadian Armed Forces to shovel snow in Toronto.
nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By nick_verissimo

I'm in Ottawa and we're about to get our first storm on Wednesday.  Reports are saying that we're going to get 20+ cm's of snow, but that's not even that bad compared some of the storms we've had in the last couple years.  Thankfully I'm a 20 minute walk from my university, so I'm good for that, but when I go home for Christmas then I get to deal with the torture of winter driving.

ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By ninjakiller

Yeah, it snowed here on Thursday and I had to chant in my head: go slow, don't drive like a jackass, this shit is dangerous.  I hate winter driving.

Avatar image for livingitlarge22
Livingitlarge22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Livingitlarge22

I use to live in Winnipeg, so I know all about this. I now live in Vancouver and I have to say it is probably even more dangerous to drive here without the snow than it is to drive in Winnipeg WITH the snow. Fuck the west-coasters do not know how to drive. Stop signs and Red lights here are optional and even though the speed limit in Vancouver never goes above 50km (even on multi-lane highways, except the trans-canada which goes up to 80) people drive 80 klicks everywhere. Fuck! I one day was walking to the nearby train station and had to use two crosswalks at steetlights and I saw THREE CARS run the stop lights and almost hit me. At least when it snows here people are too terrified to drive so the roads remain a little bit more sane, if you can believe it.

Satune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Satune

Cold winds, snow fall, and bad drivers, the 3 worst thing about winter.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FunExplosions

I love driving in the snow, it's just the other drivers that make it a problem. When we got our snow Friday and I was on my way to work, I was actually able to go 20 mph faster on a major highway than normal. Usually it's incredibly crowded, and I start imagining car-raping the bumper of any old woman in front of me. When I finally got to some side streets, though, it was like people were driving on an inch of ice over a river. The road could be as flat and as straight as possible, and people will still drive 15 mph under the speed limit and react at a frighteningly slow pace. But yeah, hell yeah I'm ready for some winter driving.

vager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#17  Edited By vager

I forgot to mention this. Though I was the a passenger not the driver. 

Me and a college buddy were going down a bridge when the breaks decided it didn't want to work anymore(I think the break fluid was frozen). 
So we were going down the bridge increasing in speed where in front of us were a bunch of cars waiting on a red light.  
My buddy decided not to hit them so he turned left, went up and over a snow bank and crashed into the side of a gas station. 

We could see the washroom and some dude came out of the stales. He said he shit his pants but I think he meant it as a figure of speech. 

No injuries, other then popping a few blood vessels in my hand, thankfully.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Xeiphyer
@FrankCanada97: Lucky you haha, the city did a terrible job getting rid of the snow.. basically they did nothing for 2 days, we had really bad winds too.. so some neighbourhoods caught all the snow and had over 6 feet in some places haha.
Dirty_Harry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dirty_Harry

man, i have had only about 3 snow day's so far! and all the snow is gone once again.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Seedofpower

Sucks man, Thank god its 45+ degrees here year round.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Cube

Calgary is a bunch of bullshit, I do not know why I live here.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By Brendan

Oh Ontario, you make me want to live in Ohio (only in the winter, and not actually Ohio, it just rhymed).
JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#23  Edited By JackiJinx

I had to drive in the stuff on Saturday, very thick. And there were still people going above 55 on the high way. Insane since I had to crawl between 35 and 45 on my whole hour+ drive back home.  

One year, my anti lock breaks decided they didn't want to function, so I did an incredibly dramatically slow front hit into a side road sign. Left a mark on my car that's still there.  

Snow's only good to look at. Otherwise, I hate the blasted stuff.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By JJWeatherman
@FrankCanada97:  Last year was terrible where I live. On my way to my grandmas house on christmas eve there's an enormous hill that is steep on a good day and down right treacherous in the snow. We ended up getting up it but only after a giant SUV powed up ahead of us and made some good ruts in the snow. Man that was rough. Glad to report that we've gotten no snow as of yet this year. However the temperature is suppose to drop to 14 degrees fahrenheit tonight which is damn cold.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iam3green

yes, i am ready for snow. it actually just snowed like an inch very small. the only problem was getting up my driveway. it is on a hill so it will be hard to do. i just hate driving when it's icy because some people crash. 

in high school as i waited for the bus to come it was great watching people going through a stop sign. i would see people going like 30 and now stopping because of sliding. then crashing into a snow bank.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#26  Edited By Hailinel

After last year, I dread the coming of snow.  Our mayor's bungling of a major snow storm here in Seattle is just one of the reasons he did not win reelection this past November.  I mean, really:

1.  He didn't deploy the entire fleet of snowplows the city has.
2.  Those that were deployed were mainly deployed to the area of Seattle he lives.
3.  He didn't allow salting the sidewalks for environmental reasons.

End result:  Seattle was shut down for two weeks because no one could get anywhere.

It doesn't help that a lot of residents around here have no idea how to drive in the snow, either.

NickL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#27  Edited By NickL

i find it interesting that this was posted today, first day of snow here in reno nevada, looks like the roads are gonna be nice and icy tomorrow... yikes

edit: of course, not having a tv i dont watch weather reports so i dont know how big the snow storm was so it could be all over i guess...

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FrankCanada97
@Hailinel: At least he didn't resort to calling in the Army to shovel snow.
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ahriman22

Goddamn it.... Montreal still has no snow :/

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RetroIce4

Oh god. Thanks for helping me build my confidence up since I just am starting to drive and I saw 6 cars get in a wreck today.

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FrankCanada97

How are people's driving thus far? Toronto has had barely any snow, and when we do, it melts a few days. That makes my winter driving so far this year more like autumn/spring driving.