Just got Hired on at Futureshop (BestBuy Canada)

Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Omega

So I just got back from my interview. I was hired immediately after the interview and went to the back room and filled out the paperwork officially making me an employee.  I'll be working the Entertainment dept.

Here's the thing though, I was hired on for seasonal. So after January 1st I'll be done. But they didn't give me a start date, they just said they'd give me a call when the time comes. I should have asked what the time frame might be, but I got caught up in the rush to get all the paperwork signed that I forgot to ask. 

So my question is to any Futureshop, Best Buy, Wal-mart, any employee really who might know when seasonal employees usually start.
 It would give me peace of mind to know when I might expect the call. A few days? weeks? next month?

Thanks for any help anyone might be able to give me.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By rjaylee
@Omega: 
Just call them and ask when. My best guess is that those places all hire seasonal employees just to cover the holiday gift-buying rush, but it's pretty early, so maybe you'll get some hours to work way before that holiday season kicks in. Regardless just call them. You're not going to look dumb or anything, just tell them you don't think it was mentioned and you forgot to ask when you'd expect some hours. It's not unreasonable to ask this or anything. 

And if you're in Southern Ontario, hook me up with employee discounts. :)
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By keyhunter
@Omega: Dude, they're not gonna call you until christmas shopping starts. Find another job. Get as far away from that peasant ass retail shit as possible.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jeffsekai
@Omega said:

Seasonal at my Future Shop (for back to School) started begging of August. So Im guessing begging of November they will give you a call.

Just call n ask them tho.

Any other questions feel free to post em / PM me and I'll try to answer them
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JJOR64
@Omega: Good luck with your new job!
Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Omega

Thanks for the help guys, I figured it might be sometime in November (though I wouldn't mind starting by mid October), but I think you're right in that it would be best if I called to check myself.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Seedofpower

When I used to work at target, season employees started around the beginning of November or week before the end of October.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By Cube

Nov-Dec. 

Working Boxing day at futureshop was fucking insane when I was in Entertainment.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cube
@Xeiphyer: Sup, we worked together.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Xeiphyer

@Omega: I worked at a futureshop last christmas =P I didn't start until the 31st or so of october, but I wasn't in the first wave of employee's to get hired and trained. So I would say you will probably have to go to mind control during the 2nd or 3rd week and start working later that week.

I hope you are an outgoing charismatic person =P Starting wage is $11/hour for where I was working, which is alright... But you are required to do a ton of work, way more than at most other job places, so the only real way to make it good is to be pro at selling your PSP/ PRP and make sure you know your product specs =P Also if you are given the choice for what part of the department to work, aim for the games part (Assuming your futureshop has the DVD/CD part included in entertainment) CDs are usually terrible, its almost impossible to find shit in there and it gets super mixed up really quickly, and DVDs are not too bad, but evenutally you will have to find that one copy of Face to Face you still sell, and its nowhere to be found, but they drove from Redeer and it must be your fault for not calling in advance. 

Err and yeah, answer the phone :) Our futureshop was extremely bad for that, cuz the phone was in a weirdish spot and nobody was ever really around it.

Oh so yeah, the reason you want to work the actual videogame portion of entertainment is because when you sell somebody a console, you can offer them the extended warrnety (Its so easy to sell for xbox 360s obviously! Just tell them how often they break, they will usually have heard of somebodys breaking.. so bam!) And when they buy that warrenty you get 12% of the price of the warrenty, which works out to $8-10 (12 for ps3s) for you. I was making $25/hour over xmas break, Its great seeing your paystub say you got $800 pay, and an extra $400 or so from PSP, 

Oh and PSP is Product Service Plan, not the obvious one haha. 

On Boxing Day, try and get your manager to position you near the 360s, you will kill, if the recession doesn't hit it as bad as last year (which it wont) you can easily make 2 weeks of pay in a single day :) If not more.

Uhhhmmm,.... You will inevitably have to put away a billion CDs, DVDs, Games and all that, not to mention tons of repricing throughout xmas holidays, so if you get good at selling the PSP/PRP then you can get your ass on the evening shift, which means no putting away, just selling and making money =) Its great! 

Good Luck haha. Also where are you working in Canada? 

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Cube: Reallllyyy?
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Cube
@Xeiphyer: Yep. Good times.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Cube: Lol :P
Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Omega
@Xeiphyer: Wow thanks for all the info.

I'll keep that in mind. During the interview I expressed exclusive interest in the video game section. But I think the way my local store is run everyone in entertainment is responsible for every aspect of that section. So I'll need to be up on music movies and Games. But I'm not completely sure about that I still need to go through orientation which I assume will happen when the season starts. 

To answer your question I'll be working at a store in southwestern Ontario.
lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By lemon360

I fucking hate futureshop. Those fuckers screwed me over.
masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By masternater27

At Bestbuy (US) we've already done all of our seasonal hirings, and some people are already out working the floor. 

edit: @Xeiphyer: damn, I wish we got commission on PSPs here (Geek Squad Black Tie Protection now).

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Omega: Haha yeah, I said just videogames too, and normally all entertainment covers all sections, but for christmas holidays it can get really crazy, my manager ended up splitting everyone up, so the gamers could focus on selling the gaming stuff because every PSP counts because the store makes a ton of profit off of them so putting the most knowledgible people on games makes sense =P

We actually ended up getting aditional training and re-designated from entertainment employee or whatever it was, to Gaming Expert. Good stuff. =P Of course I had one side of my nametag changed to read Lumberjack of all trades. Because its a play on words and lumberjacks are awesome =)

People gave me weird looks, so it was good.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#18  Edited By iam3green

i would say wait until they call. hope that they call u lol. wait a week and then ask when u are going to start ur job. 

when i worked at a seasonal place January was a slow month of barely any work.