Just purchased my college computer

trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Edited By trav3ler

Well, I'm off to college in August, so I decided to upgrade.  My old desktop is faring pretty poorly these days (it can run Left 4 Dead at fairly high quality, but that's about it), and I found a good deal, so I decided to go for it.  Placed the order today with Xotic PC, so it will come in 2 weeks or so.  Can't wait!

Here's the old computer's specs and the new computer's specs for comparison.

The old Desktop, "Sparky"
Intel P4 3.0GHz single-core processor
Secondhand XFX GeForce 9600GT 256MB, DX9.0c compatible (upgraded last year from a Sapphire RADEON X300XT 128MB for cheap)
1.5GB DDR2 RAM
Onboard Sound
120GB 5400RPM Hard Drive (completely full)
500GB 5400RPM External Hard Drive (not very full, I intend to keep this and use this in college)
19" Widescreen LG LCD Monitor, default resolution 1440x900 (also upgraded last year, the only part of the computer I still like)
Fugly beige case w/ Apple sticker on the side (added by my friend as a joke)
Broken, barely functional Linksys Wireless Router (802.11g compatible
Windows XP Home Edition
4 years worth of random spyware, viruses, and other fun things that slow it down.
No Warranty

The new Laptop, as yet unnamed (Leaning towards Charlie Tunoku, open to suggestions)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz processor
nVidia GeForce 9800M GTS 1,024MB video card, DX10 compatible
4GB DDR2 RAM
Still Onboard Sound (I don't care enough to blow the extra money on a sound card)
320GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive (plus the external equals 820GB of total storage, roughly 100 of which is currently used on the external)
17" Laptop LCD screen, default resolution 1920x1200 (makes up for the 2 inches lost)
Integrated Fingerprint Reader (by far the coolest part)
7-in-1 card reader
Built in Wireless, Bluetooth
BLUE-RAY compatible DVD/CD Combo Drive (YES)
TV Tuner compatible with Analog, Digital, and HDTV
Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit
Very Very sexy looking case, with no Apple sticker attached:

No Caption Provided

Total price for this: 1400$

What do you think, internet?  Good deal/bad deal/should I have gotten something else instead?
trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By trav3ler

Well, I'm off to college in August, so I decided to upgrade.  My old desktop is faring pretty poorly these days (it can run Left 4 Dead at fairly high quality, but that's about it), and I found a good deal, so I decided to go for it.  Placed the order today with Xotic PC, so it will come in 2 weeks or so.  Can't wait!

Here's the old computer's specs and the new computer's specs for comparison.

The old Desktop, "Sparky"
Intel P4 3.0GHz single-core processor
Secondhand XFX GeForce 9600GT 256MB, DX9.0c compatible (upgraded last year from a Sapphire RADEON X300XT 128MB for cheap)
1.5GB DDR2 RAM
Onboard Sound
120GB 5400RPM Hard Drive (completely full)
500GB 5400RPM External Hard Drive (not very full, I intend to keep this and use this in college)
19" Widescreen LG LCD Monitor, default resolution 1440x900 (also upgraded last year, the only part of the computer I still like)
Fugly beige case w/ Apple sticker on the side (added by my friend as a joke)
Broken, barely functional Linksys Wireless Router (802.11g compatible
Windows XP Home Edition
4 years worth of random spyware, viruses, and other fun things that slow it down.
No Warranty

The new Laptop, as yet unnamed (Leaning towards Charlie Tunoku, open to suggestions)
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz processor
nVidia GeForce 9800M GTS 1,024MB video card, DX10 compatible
4GB DDR2 RAM
Still Onboard Sound (I don't care enough to blow the extra money on a sound card)
320GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive (plus the external equals 820GB of total storage, roughly 100 of which is currently used on the external)
17" Laptop LCD screen, default resolution 1920x1200 (makes up for the 2 inches lost)
Integrated Fingerprint Reader (by far the coolest part)
7-in-1 card reader
Built in Wireless, Bluetooth
BLUE-RAY compatible DVD/CD Combo Drive (YES)
TV Tuner compatible with Analog, Digital, and HDTV
Windows Vista Premium 64-Bit
Very Very sexy looking case, with no Apple sticker attached:

No Caption Provided

Total price for this: 1400$

What do you think, internet?  Good deal/bad deal/should I have gotten something else instead?
Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Hamz

Specs for the new laptop and its visual appearance look rather smashing. Hope you enjoy it :)