Kneeling and other unconventional chairs!

astonish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By astonish

Anyone out there use a kneeling style chair for gaming?

I have an OK leather chair for my PC (gaming and work) and although I couch it sometimes I really prefer my Ikea "Poang" chair for medium to long sessions in front of the TV... Although I thankfully have no back issues, sitting seems to be the new smoking in terms of health and I'm tempted to try a kneeling chair. Although I already make sure to get up and take breaks, from what I understand these kneeling chairs are more like standing in terms of your back/insides...

Anyone here have experience? Recommend a good one?

tehbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By tehbull

I had one of those when I was a kid and my stepdad was huge into forcing me away form the computer. Again, this was 8 years ago and I made it work, they are really pretty comfortable once you get used to them. When you get in you know you are ready to get something done. I don't want that at home myself, because I relax in many different way in front of my monitor so I want arms and a chair, but for getting work done, I have no problem at all with kneeling chairs. Also, my chair didn't seem to have that amount of incline that the chair you pictured does. It was still weird but I conquered it.

theodacourt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By theodacourt

It almost certainly is better for your back but it could be worse for your knees and there's no way to just use good posture to get out of that problem. Getting up regularly probably negates both problems equally too so I guess it doesn't matter much in your case!

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By north6

lol chairsadvisor

*edit* oh man, now it looks like i bumped this.

paulwgraham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By paulwgraham

I switched from sitting a desk to a standing only desk because I felt like I was crushing my insides by sitting all day. It's worked out well for me. I added a tall bar stool for when my feet and legs can't take it anymore but I don't use it much because I find my back can start to hurt after sitting for awhile. I think the ideal solution for me would be one those motorized desks that can covert from sitting to standing at the touch of a button. But I haven't gotten around to getting one yet.

The part that's relevant to you is that I find I can't really game (I play FPSes) when sitting on the bar stool. It changes the angle at which my arms and hands engage the mouse and keyboard too much. Its actually physically uncomfortable. It's much better when I'm standing but still not as good as when I'm sitting in a normal chair in front of a normal desk.

So I suggest you take into account the angle that your arms will forced into by a particular chair. It can have a big impact.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Ry_Ry

I'd rather sit on the floor than use a kneeling chair. I personally have a standing desk with a stool so I can either stand or sit throughout the day. It's been working out very well for me.