#1 Posted by FirebirdINF (275 posts) -

I'll give a made up title of a scientific study and you guess which common sense/folk wisdom/proverb it proves. Everyone can play.

Purpose-deficient investigation correlated with increased risk of feline mortality?

#2 Posted by IBurningStar (2190 posts) -

Curiosity killed the cat.

#3 Posted by Patman99 (1633 posts) -

/thread

#4 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19395 posts) -

Scientific study highlighting the inversely proportional relationship between the degree of one's happiness and one's amount of knowledge.

#5 Posted by Dourin (234 posts) -

Ignorance is bliss.

#6 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Dourin said:

Ignorance is bliss.

It's actually, the less you know, the happier you are.
#7 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19395 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@Dourin said:

Ignorance is bliss.

I was gunning for "Ignorance is bliss".

#8 Posted by Dourin (234 posts) -

@MikeGosot: Eh, same thing, really.

#9 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Dourin said:

Ignorance is bliss.

Oh. MINE MAKES MORE SENSE! *cries*
#10 Posted by Chroma_Auron (112 posts) -

Scientists prove that gravity is real. Dumb person still thinks it's not real. "you can't prove it's gravity and not something else."

#11 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Also, this is the worst forum game ever. What the fuck.

#12 Posted by FirebirdINF (275 posts) -

Next round: In diurnal avian groups, the top 1% of light-sensitive individuals consumes 40% of the group's daily consumption of non-anthropoid invertebrate animals.

#13 Posted by believer258 (12301 posts) -

@MikeGosot said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

@MikeGosot said:

@Dourin said:

Ignorance is bliss.

Oh. MINE MAKES MORE SENSE! *cries*

Same thing.

@FirebirdINF said:

Next round: In diurnal avian groups, the top 1% of light-sensitive individuals consumes 40% of the group's daily consumption of non-anthropoid invertebrate animals.

Er... the rich prosper while the poor get poorer?

#14 Posted by pyromagnestir (4344 posts) -

@FirebirdINF said:

early bird catches the worm

#15 Posted by FirebirdINF (275 posts) -

@pyromagnestir: bingo!

#16 Posted by Geralt (339 posts) -

So many big words...head hurts.

#17 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2140 posts) -

A novel indication technique for the highlighting of redundant data in growing bodies of social information, for the purposes of future data elimination and heightening of social data integrity.

Take a guess OP :P

#18 Posted by ShaggE (6809 posts) -

Test subject Mick Jagger shows extreme adverse reaction to the proposition of Plantae Bryophyta acquisition.

#19 Posted by Patman99 (1633 posts) -

@ShaggE said:

Test subject Mick Jagger shows extreme adverse reaction to the proposition of Plantae Bryophyta acquisition.

A Rolling Stone gathers no moss?

#20 Posted by Xeiphyer (5614 posts) -

This is actually pretty amusing in a weird nerdy sorta way.

#21 Posted by ShaggE (6809 posts) -

@Patman99 said:

@ShaggE said:

A Rolling Stone gathers no moss?

Nailed it. Mick Jagger kinda gave it away, but I couldn't pass up the pun. :P

#22 Posted by kindpixel (2862 posts) -

I suck at this stuff, but it would be really cool if the OP (@FirebirdINF) collected the questions and answers from everyone and included it in the main post.

#23 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician: something to do with mining ? hmmnnnnnnn damn you

#24 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2140 posts) -

@envane said:

@ShiftyMagician: something to do with mining ? hmmnnnnnnn damn you

I'll be honest and say I'm cheating here as I was not referencing a common sense phrase. I was merely poking fun with the OP and the study title basically amounts to 'IMMA FLAG YOU'. To be clear, the title translates to 'Flagging you so that it will be removed in the future, reducing forum clutter', where forums can be seen as bodies of social information.

Also to be honest I did flag this and regretted it momentarily after. This thread has good merits to get people thinking even if there is no initial discussion value. I hope the mods don't lock this as I've grown to like it. If I could unflag an item I certainly would do it. There's probably some logical reason from the engineers as to why there is no ability to take back a flag, but it's a shame I cannot flip some boolean variable back.

#25 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2140 posts) -

To contribute properly, here's one:

Understanding the application of various techniques found in various aves relating to the acquisition of lumbricus terrestris during early morning scenarios.

#26 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician: damnit .. i was working hard ont hat one .. hehe ...

otherwise , how is this bad for off-topic?

#27 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2140 posts) -

@envane said:

@ShiftyMagician: damnit .. i was working hard ont hat one .. hehe ...

otherwise , how is this bad for off-topic?

If I had continued to think the way I did before, I would have argued that since there isn't enough content on the OP to warrant a discussion it should be locked. However I had a change of thought as this would be a neat geeky way to get dudes thinking and having a little bit of internal forum fun. I wouldn't be surprised if a mod still locked the thread under my previous thought, but I hope it doesn't.

#28 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

@ShiftyMagician: if thats the early bird gets the worm then i think you did it wrong , hopefully its just me thats wrong eheh ..

#29 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

I clicked on this expecting stupidity.

I got pounds of nerdy awesome.

#30 Posted by Inkerman (1455 posts) -

"Resume your location of preferred reclination and discontinue in your contribution to this dialogue"

#31 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2140 posts) -

@envane said:

@ShiftyMagician: if thats the early bird gets the worm then i think you did it wrong , hopefully its just me thats wrong eheh ..

Probably did hehehe. Yes it was 'early bird gets the worm' though I didn't form it specifically as the phrase on purpose. I always thought a study title would also include some form of action to be done on a certain thing or scenario. Wouldn't put it past me to not phrase things properly at times.

#32 Edited by envane (1164 posts) -

A Study on Laughter : Long-Term Analysis proving Direct Correlation between Sequence and Duration

or how about , a research paper on "the disproportionate value perceived by bird watchers versus bird owners"

#33 Posted by Xymox (2128 posts) -

Defiance from domesticated equine: an indepth study of the psychosocial behavior expressed when brought to bodies of water

I tried.

#34 Posted by thebipsnbeeps (564 posts) -

@Xymox: Throwing a shitty pet horse to an ocean will make you crazy. LOGIC.

Hefty nominee for forum thread of the year: jus' sayin'.

#35 Posted by Bogitt (202 posts) -

@Xymox: You can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink?

#36 Posted by Xymox (2128 posts) -

@Bogitt said:

@Xymox: You can bring a horse to water but you can't make it drink?

Ha, there you go.

#37 Posted by Brodehouse (10239 posts) -

Conclusive economic report on the value and viability of midday consumption of food and beverage lacking immediate associated financial compensation.

#38 Posted by PeteyCoco (103 posts) -

A good scientific study title shouldn't be worded like these :p

#39 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

"A formal study to reconfirm the accepted societal non-significance of carelessly placed dairy products and how humans emotionally react".

#40 Posted by Xymox (2128 posts) -

@Scooper said:

"A formal study to reconfirm the accepted societal non-significance of carelessly placed dairy products and how humans emotionally react".

don't cry over spilled milk?

#41 Posted by jaycrockett (505 posts) -

@envane said:

A Study on Laughter : Long-Term Analysis proving Direct Correlation between Sequence and Duration

or how about , a research paper on "the disproportionate value perceived by bird watchers versus bird owners"

He who laughs last, laughs longest? Though isn't the phrase actually "laughs best"?

A bird in the hand beats two in the bush? Although it's not the perceived, but actual value.

#42 Posted by jaycrockett (505 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Conclusive economic report on the value and viability of midday consumption of food and beverage lacking immediate associated financial compensation.

There's no such thing as a free lunch?

Fun thread.

#43 Posted by Scooper (7881 posts) -

@Xymox said:

@Scooper said:

don't cry over spilled milk?

Boosh!

#44 Posted by SpheriQ (86 posts) -

Dissertation on the Theory of Cardio-Residential Coincidence

#45 Edited by mikeeegeee (1577 posts) -

Studies show: Lager lapped prior potent potables yields prodigious puke.

More alliterative than scientific, but what the hell.

@SpheriQ said:

Dissertation on the Theory of Cardio-Residential Coincidence

Home is where the heart is.

#46 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

@jaycrockett: yeah i dunno .. i like to think i was close enuff

@mikeeegeee: beer then grass youre on your ass ? hehe

#47 Posted by Akrid (1356 posts) -

A study of the corellation between demonstration and it's illustrative qualities in comparison to the spoken word.

#48 Posted by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

The earth is flat because I say so!

#49 Posted by envane (1164 posts) -

@Akrid: a picture is worth a thousand words ? :)