我们学普通话吧 (Let's study Mandarin Chinese!)

Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Hausdog

The literal translation for that, in case you're wondering, is [1st-person pronoun][plural marker] study universal communicate speech [polite suggestion]

Anyway, the following thread:
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/if-you-could-be-fluent-at-2-foreign-languages/234737
reminded me that I fell off the Chinese-studying wagon. So I decided that I would blog about my Chinese-learning exploits. The book I'm using, titled Chinese the Easy Way has 17 chapters of actual language learning (the first two are a primer to the tones and sounds of the language), covers multiple grammatical points in each chapter, and will eventually teach me over 600 words and phrases. I am going to be starting from chapter 3 and covering roughly one chapter per day, which means I'll have the book finished in 17 days. What the book does NOT teach is the writing system. They throw in a little token gesture in the last chapter, but the book is really geared toward the student of the spoken language. Fair enough, let's go.

Vocab list:

English     |Pinyin   |Hanzi
----------------------------
mouse |lǎoshǔ |老鼠
good |hǎo |好
I, me |wǒ |我
no, not |bù |不
to be |shì |是
teacher |lǎoshī |老师
sorry |duìbuqǐ |对不起
you |nǐ |你
hello |nǐ hǎo |你好
mom |māma |妈妈
your mom |nǐ māma |你妈妈
s/he |tā |他(male), 她(female)
very |hĕn |很
dad |bàba |爸爸
how about...|phrase+ne|呢
also |yĕ |也
busy |máng |忙
question wd |ma |吗
you(formal) |nín |您
bye |zàijiàn |再见

Grammar notes:
Chinese's is Subject-Adverb-Verb-Object.

You use 是 (be) with nouns only.

subject |adverb|verb|object
你 妈妈 | |是 |老师
nǐ māma | |shì |lǎoshī
your mom| |is |teacher

In Chinese, adjectives qualify as verbs and MUST be preceded by an adverb. The dummy adverb, if an adjective needs no modification, is hĕn.  For instance, you'd say

你 妈妈 |很 |忙 |
nǐ māma |hĕn |máng|
your mom|very |busy|

but not
你 妈妈 |是 |忙 |
nǐ māma |shì |máng|
your mom|is |busy|

because "is" is a verb, not an adverb.
When "hĕn" is spoken before an adjective and it doesn't mean "very," it loses its tone. So "Your mom is busy" actually SOUNDS like nǐ māma hen máng

So far, we've only dealt with simple, positive, declarative sentence structures. We still have negation, "also," and questions to deal with.
Just like in English, "not" and "also" are considered adverbs and therefore fill the adverb slot in sentences.

Let's cover negation first.

你 妈妈 |不 |忙 |
nǐ māma |bù |máng|
your mom|not |busy|

In front of falling-tone words (such as shì), bù becomes bú as in
你 妈妈 |不 |是 |老师
nǐ māma |bú |shì |lǎoshī
your mom|not |is |teacher

Let's cover yĕ!
yĕ means "also"
subject |adverb  |verb|object
你 妈妈 |也 |是 |老师
nǐ māma |yĕ |shì |lǎoshī
your mom|also |is |teacher

It can also mean "either" as in "Your mom is not a teacher either." It stacks with bù like so:

你 妈妈 |也 不 |是 |老师
nǐ māma |yĕ bú |shì |lǎoshī
your mom|also not|is |teacher

If you're gonna use it with an adjective, you have to stack it with hĕn. For instance, you have to say

subject |adverb   |verb|object
你 妈妈 |也很 |忙 |
nǐ māma |yĕ hĕn |máng|
your mom|also very|busy|
Finally ma turns any statement into a yes/no question if added onto the end ("Ni mama shi laoshi ma" means "Is your mom a teacher") and "phrase+ne" means "and how about phrase" ("Wo shi laoshi. Ni ne" means "I am a teacher. And how about you")

That about covers it. Feel free to ask questions, after all the times I've studies this exact material I've pretty much got it down pat. Also, tell me if you like this at all, or if you'll be back. I don't want to be talking to myself after all. And if any native speakers want to lend their talents to proofreading or practice, that'd be great too. Thanks everyone!
Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hausdog

The literal translation for that, in case you're wondering, is [1st-person pronoun][plural marker] study universal communicate speech [polite suggestion]

Anyway, the following thread:
http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/off-topic/31/if-you-could-be-fluent-at-2-foreign-languages/234737
reminded me that I fell off the Chinese-studying wagon. So I decided that I would blog about my Chinese-learning exploits. The book I'm using, titled Chinese the Easy Way has 17 chapters of actual language learning (the first two are a primer to the tones and sounds of the language), covers multiple grammatical points in each chapter, and will eventually teach me over 600 words and phrases. I am going to be starting from chapter 3 and covering roughly one chapter per day, which means I'll have the book finished in 17 days. What the book does NOT teach is the writing system. They throw in a little token gesture in the last chapter, but the book is really geared toward the student of the spoken language. Fair enough, let's go.

Vocab list:

English     |Pinyin   |Hanzi
----------------------------
mouse |lǎoshǔ |老鼠
good |hǎo |好
I, me |wǒ |我
no, not |bù |不
to be |shì |是
teacher |lǎoshī |老师
sorry |duìbuqǐ |对不起
you |nǐ |你
hello |nǐ hǎo |你好
mom |māma |妈妈
your mom |nǐ māma |你妈妈
s/he |tā |他(male), 她(female)
very |hĕn |很
dad |bàba |爸爸
how about...|phrase+ne|呢
also |yĕ |也
busy |máng |忙
question wd |ma |吗
you(formal) |nín |您
bye |zàijiàn |再见

Grammar notes:
Chinese's is Subject-Adverb-Verb-Object.

You use 是 (be) with nouns only.

你 妈妈 | |是 |老师
nǐ māma | |shì |lǎoshī
your mom| |is |teacher

In Chinese, adjectives qualify as verbs and MUST be preceded by an adverb. The dummy adverb, if an adjective needs no modification, is hĕn.  For instance, you'd say

你 妈妈 |很 |忙 |
nǐ māma |hĕn |máng|
your mom|very |busy|

but not
你 妈妈 |是 |忙 |
nǐ māma |shì |máng|
your mom|is |busy|

because "is" is a verb, not an adverb.
When "hĕn" is spoken before an adjective and it doesn't mean "very," it loses its tone. So "Your mom is busy" actually SOUNDS like nǐ māma hen máng

So far, we've only dealt with simple, positive, declarative sentence structures. We still have negation, "also," and questions to deal with.
Just like in English, "not" and "also" are considered adverbs and therefore fill the adverb slot in sentences.

Let's cover negation first.

你 妈妈 |不 |忙 |
nǐ māma |bù |máng|
your mom|not |busy|

In front of falling-tone words (such as shì), bù becomes bú as in
你 妈妈 |不 |是 |老师
nǐ māma |bú |shì |lǎoshī
your mom|not |is |teacher

Let's cover yĕ!
yĕ means "also"
你 妈妈 |也 |是 |老师
nǐ māma |yĕ |shì |lǎoshī
your mom|also |is |teacher

It can also mean "either" as in "Your mom is not a teacher either." It stacks with bù like so:

你 妈妈 |也 不 |是 |老师
nǐ māma |yĕ bú |shì |lǎoshī
your mom|also not|is |teacher

If you're gonna use it with an adjective, you have to stack it with hĕn. For instance, you have to say

subject |adverb   |verb|object
你 妈妈 |也很 |忙 |
nǐ māma |yĕ hĕn |máng|
your mom|also very|busy|
Finally ma turns any statement into a yes/no question if added onto the end ("Ni mama shi laoshi ma" means "Is your mom a teacher") and "phrase+ne" means "and how about phrase" ("Wo shi laoshi. Ni ne" means "I am a teacher. And how about you")

That about covers it. Feel free to ask questions, after all the times I've studies this exact material I've pretty much got it down pat. Also, tell me if you like this at all, or if you'll be back. I don't want to be talking to myself after all. And if any native speakers want to lend their talents to proofreading or practice, that'd be great too. Thanks everyone!
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

What a useless list. How am I supposed to use that to try and make up sexual innuendo? :P
Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Optiow

This is extremely confusing...

Hausdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hausdog

Well, if you said "wo3 hen mang2... GEN1 NI3 MA1MA" You would be saying "I am busy... WITH YOUR MOM" and you only have to learn one new word.
Also, cao1 ni3 ma1 means fuck your mother. Can you tell I'm sick as fuck of formatting my posts?

Edit: Confusing? I promise you that is not my intent at all. Maybe I should've started from the beginning. There are approximately infinity videos on Youtube explaining the four tones, but the number that explains how they interact with each other (It's not nearly as hard as I'm making it sound, I promise) is approaching 0. All you have to know is that words in the first tone, such as mā, are high and level; words in the second tone, such as máng, start with the midrange of your voice and go up; words in the fourth tone, such as shì, start high and go lo reallyreallyfast; and words in the third tone deserve their own paragraph which is the one right after this sentence.

The third tone before other tones is spoken like a second tone. Before non-third tones, it starts almost at the bottom of your voice and then it falls. When it's the last syllable before a long break such as the end of the sentence, it starts low, dips, and rises. I'm trying to find a clip on Youtube of the phrase "Ni Hao" by a native speaker to demonstrate, but they're all a bunch of white people. I can't vouch for the quality of pronunciation either. Oh well.

Optiow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Optiow
Hausdog said:
"Well, if you said "wo3 hen mang2... GEN1 NI3 MA1MA" You would be saying "I am busy... WITH YOUR MOM" and you only have to learn one new word.Also, cao1 ni3 ma1 means fuck your mother. Can you tell I'm sick as fuck of formatting my posts?Edit: Confusing? I promise you that is not my intent at all. Maybe I should've started from the beginning. There are approximately infinity videos on Youtube explaining the four tones, but the number that explains how they interact with each other (It's not nearly as hard as I'm making it sound, I promise) is approaching 0. All you have to know is that words in the first tone, such as mā, are high and level; words in the second tone, such as máng, start with the midrange of your voice and go up; words in the fourth tone, such as shì, start high and go lo reallyreallyfast; and words in the third tone deserve their own paragraph which is the one right after this sentence.The third tone before other tones is spoken like a second tone. Before non-third tones, it starts almost at the bottom of your voice and then it falls. When it's the last syllable before a long break such as the end of the sentence, it starts low, dips, and rises. I'm trying to find a clip on Youtube of the phrase "Ni Hao" by a native speaker to demonstrate, but they're all a bunch of white people. I can't vouch for the quality of pronunciation either. Oh well."
It is still confusing...
But interesting.