looking for more round-table style podcasts

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By nintendoeats

So I have just started commuting to university, and I figured I should start listening to podcast again. I used to listen to the Hotspot back in the day, as well as "The Skeptic's Guide to the Universe" and a couple of things that the CBC posted.

Unfortunately right now all I have is the Bombcast, which seems to last about a days traveling. I'm looking for some other good, fairly relaxed, round-table style podcasts. In particular, I want one about retro gaming.

I can see now that this is a pretty open-ended request. To focus things a bit, here are a few random topics that interest me: Video Games (duh), music (wide-ranging, but generally indie-ish I guess), Science, Guitar playing and gear, Geeky PC hardware...warhammer 40k... George Orwell

I think thats all I've got. If you know any good ones that don't fit those categories feel free to mention them.

CactusJack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By CactusJack

I like Weekend Confirmed with Jeff Cannata, Garnett Lee, and Brian Layhe. (Sp?).  They don't discuss alot of Retro games, but I still enjoy it.  It's the most Bombcast-y one I can think of right now.  

Gamescoop from IGN is good, In This Thread from 1Up, and SlashFilm are my other favorites.  You didn't list movies on your interest, but I thought I'd throw slashfilm in there.  Also, the Tested and Screened podcasts are really good. 

Hope this helps.
FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FluxWaveZ

The Geekbox, maybe.

allenibrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By allenibrahim

Rebel FM for fun chats about games, Weekend Confirmed for very professionally done discussion (it's Brian Laehy by the way). G4TV's Feedback is literally round table discussion. Geekbox is for very specific tastes. If you are looking for other topics though, Slashfilm is alright and Major Spoilers is fantastic for comic book fans.

Carnage1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Carnage1290

Gotta throw more love in for Weekend Confirmed, easily my second favorite podcast right now (after the bombcast, of course).  If your in to WoW then The Instance is the best WoW podcast.  The Gamespy Debriefings is good but can get wildly off topic which usually leads to hilarity (it can also be incredibly explicit, just fyi).  Rebel FM is good if you like those guys.  Also if you into WoW, Respec Radio is really good but doesn't come out that frequently.  Out of the Game was really good and I think their trying to start it back up again but it's been on a really long break.  If your into Starcraft then The Creep and Starcast are good.  For film I'd also recommend giving Film Sack a listen, they pick one movie a week and make fun of it for an hour.  I would suggest trying out This American Life, I can see that being very polarizing of a show though, either you'll love it or hate it.  Irrational Behavior is good but also not very frequent.  And we can't forget A Life Well Wasted, although that comes out incredibly infrequently but are always really good when they do.   

Edit:  Also forgot to mention Final Score, more stuff from the guys who do The Instance, The Creep, and Film Sack (the frogpants network).  Another decent show about video games as a whole rather than one specific game.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

As far as round-table discussions go on podcasts, bitmob's mobcast is the king. There are no conventional segments like "what have you been playing?" or "news", there are simply 4 dudes (including guests quite regularly - Jeff has been on in the past, and Brad has been on twice), each of whom bring a discussion topic to the table, and they discuss those topics.

stryker115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By stryker115

I'm going to have to recommend Weekend Confirmed and Rebel FM also for games talk. I'm not a huge fan of Gamespy Debriefings to be honest, but those guys can be pretty funny. If you're into cars in the slightest, try out NPR's Cartalk, which is really funny too. And also the new 8-4 play podcast with Mark Mcdonald of 1up is pretty awesome.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

Personally I like the BonusEXP podcast, I can agree with everything that Andy guy says!  Not a ton of retro discussion though.

It's not that I hate Weekend Confirmed, but I think they have horrible flow.  I can't agree with those guys enough and they don't make up for it with humor like the Giant Bomb dudes.

wobag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wobag

Its not retro gaming, but I would recomend Gamers With Jobs and the Player One Podcast

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By nintendoeats

muahaha! I came back from work to find many answers! thanks guys, I'll try and sort through all these suggestions in the next few days.

Bloopa79Aus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Bloopa79Aus
@Diamond said:
" Personally I like the BonusEXP podcast, I can agree with everything that Andy guy says!  Not a ton of retro discussion though.  It's not that I hate Weekend Confirmed, but I think they have horrible flow.  I can't agree with those guys enough and they don't make up for it with humor like the Giant Bomb dudes. "
I thought that the Andy guy was the worst one on that podcast ;) other than him its an ok podcast  

j/k
CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By CharleyTony

I got some suggestions, mostly gaming podcasts 

Talkradar (gamesradar.com) & geekbox ... those are roundtable recordings 

but ones that are skype based that I would totally recommend: 

Engadget, joystiq (& MBMBAM) 

the other ones I listen to are mostly whiskey media podcasts so you must already know about them...
fjordson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fjordson

No one has suggested Drunk Tank yet? GB community, I'm disappointed.

MDKazuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#14  Edited By MDKazuo

Check out Pineconeattack.  I found  http://pineconeattack.com/ while looking at tutorials for modding a Madkatz fightstick.  I started reading articles on the site, enjoyed the humor, and decided to check out the podcast.  Not for everybody, but I enjoy it.  Odd side note: I saw one of the guys from Pineconeattack on Pawn Stars fixing a Pac-Man cabinet, so you know they are professionals.    

Also, check out Fast Karate for the Gentlemen at  http://www.daveandjoel.com/.  Fast Karate is half about anime and half about videogames, but mostly about food and the eating there of.  If you are not into anime, don't worry about it and listen anyways.  The anime talk is usually about how ridiculous and terrible anime can be, but sometimes how ridiculous and terribly good it is.  Fast Karate has to be one of my favorite podcasts ever.  Check it out.  If you don't want to grab a full episode, I think you can grab their Parsec Awards submission, which has some great condensed tidbits from the podcast, off of their website.  They also have some promos from older shows up there somewhere.  Also, Dave of the aforementioned Dave and Joel listens to the Bombcast.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By penguindust
Weekend Confirmed is probably my favorite round-table podcast (even more than the Bombcast) so I'd recommend that.  Additionally, I like The Oddcast from 1Up and Joystiq Podcast.  Both of them cover games in a similar format to WC and the Bombcast, but they also tend to derail and ramble off-topic.  The Gamespy Debriefings is pretty funny too as of late.  In addition to having former 1UP alums, Ryan Scott and Anthony Gallegos on the podcast there are also a couple of IGN comedy writers on the show so it's a very loose format that occasionally ventures into gaming.  I know it's controversial here on GB, but IGN's new podcast "Girl Fight" isn't a bad listen, either.  I never used to listen to any of IGN's branded podcasts, but I tried this one out and it's not bad.  It features 4 female co-hosts each week sometime including Jessica Chobot.  As was stated by someone, G4TV's Feedback with Adam Sessler is a really good round table video cast, but the Itunes podcast version is always a few weeks behind the site posted version.
burtless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By burtless
@allenibrahim: I was a big Geekbox fan but they lost me, also I hate Burn Notice.
KeepThisKoupon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By KeepThisKoupon

Mega64 is pretty good

jeremyharder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jeremyharder

I enjoy the jumping the shark podcast (from www.gameshark.com) as well as the GWJ conference call.  Not too much about retro gaming on either of those, though.

Videogames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Videogames
@KeepThisKoupon said:

" Mega64 is pretty good "  

Mega 64's podcasts are great, but don't really go in expecting any good talk about video games. But if comedy is your thing, then defiantly check them out.
Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#20  Edited By Mystyr_E

Feedback on G4. Probably only time I see them act intelligent

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nintendoeats

its a shame that Feedback is a video podcast, because I am a big fan of Sesslers. Not of X-Play obviously (oh no, that show hasn't been watchable for years). But I really like him.