Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Who do you think will win?

• 129 results
DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Poll Mayweather vs Pacquiao. Who do you think will win? (533 votes)

Floyd Mayweather, Jr. 33%
Manny Pacquiao 32%
How should I know? I only pay attention to important stuff, like video games. 36%

• 
Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

@mirado said:

What do you know, a Mayweather fight that looked exactly like a Mayweather fight. Pacquiao barely landed anything, had surprisingly unimpressive volume, and spent far too much time going head on with Mayweather, who was more then happy to let him walk directly into his jabs.

Mayweather's defense remains frustratingly impenetrable, and I keep making money off of people who bet with their heart and not their head. Shame, really; while I didn't expect otherwise, I wish Pacquiao could have landed a few more punches like the one that stunned Mayweather early, and pulled out the upset. Alas, I guess.

Its pretty great getting all this free money thought right?

Made 1000 on this fight, beautiful.

Only 1 more fight of free money to go I guess.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Apparently Pacquiao fought with an injured shoulder.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#103  Edited By SchrodngrsFalco

@m1k3: he decided to fight after thinking about post-poning it. He should have saved face and not said anything about it (or whoever did say it) because at least people like PacMan. If he was truly injured enough for it to be the reason for a loss, he would have post-poned the fight. Other words, he felt good enough to walk into the ring, no injury excuses when you walk out with a loss. Either way, floyyd was a better fighter tonight.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

I've gotta say i'm disappointed. If boxing insists on not giving the aggressor points then its destined to always have passive dickheads like FM. This statistics nonsense(% of punches landed) needs to stop... it hides the most interesting aspects of boxing, who cares about percentages if the punches in question are whimpy.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotta say i'm disappointed. If boxing insists on not giving the aggressor points then its destined to always have passive dickheads like FM. This statistics nonsense(% of punches landed) needs to stop... it hides the most interesting aspects of boxing, who cares about percentages if the punches in question are whimpy.

Yes, boxing should be rock em sock em cave man fighting. Everyone should be aggressive because that's how you score right? No, there is a beauty to great footwork and defense as well and you have obviously not been hit over a 100 times in the head if you want to call the beating Pacquiao took for 12 rounds whimpy. Say what you will, Floyd fights smart.

Regardless I don't personally like Mayweather either, but you cant discredit his win here, I am sorry.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By hassun

This fight demonstrated quite well why Pride rules were so important.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tothenines: No you are right, I have never seen anybody take 100 punches to the head. You know why? Because in the real world, where people don't know how to punch and are in weaker shape than these two(but also don't wear boxing gloves), people get knocked out after 3-4 punches to the head. So whenever you have a sport that works out like this, its less interesting because it is domain dependent. Aka I am not convinced who would win in a real fight.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Strife777

I didn't watch the fight because 1. Boxing is booooooring and 2. $100? Get the fuck outta here!

I'm not taking anything away from those two, skills wise, but once you've tasted MMA, I really don't see why you would bother with boxing. Isn't the whole point to prove who's a better fighter? Boxing is so restrictive. That whole clinching bullshit is stupid when used as a defense. I mean, I realise there needs to be rules and regulations, otherwise we might as well have "bum fights", but the UFC is doing perfectly fine in that department, but is vastly more entertaining.

The aggression argument is a valid one. Again, I know these aren't "real" fights, they're sport, but it's still a sport trying to simulate those conditions. Playing a defensive game is only going to help you for so long, you need to be active.

Also, fuck Mayweather and his (allegedly) wife-beating, child-harassing ass.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamefreak9: It's not boxing, but read this. The story of a man that took a beating to his head to win matches. The story of Kazuyuki Fujita's skull.

Avatar image for waltercrunkfite
WalterCrunkFite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mayweather is an utter genius.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

You know people complaining about this only reinforce to me why ProWrestling is and will continue to be more entertaining than MMA or Boxing. Even if a PPV or show is handled badly wrestling is still almost always entertaining even if its a bad show.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By koolaid

So... the fight was hyped up as the biggest boxing event of the decade. And everybody tuned in. I guess ESPN forgot to tell the casual fans that Mayweather is undefeated due to his impenetrable defense. Mayweather executes a technically impressive win that lacks any explosive action. Casuals complain that the fight was boring. They blame Mayweather but not the sport itself, which rewards % of punches landed over explosive action. Now the world will grumble and move on.

I mean, I'm pissed off too. But mostly because I wanted to see Pacquiao beat the shit out of this guy.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

If you were really upset about this match from a boxing point of view, I'd strongly recommend you to tune into next weeks fight between Canelo and Kirkland, or check out Premier Boxing Champions, which is free on regular TV next Saturday (CBS). PBC is trying to revive boxing for the mainstream, and has had a lot of solid shows so far.

I don't think most people here are going to care because it was never about boxing, it was about Floyd Mayweather vs Manny Pacquiao and the whole spectacle of it all. Which is fine, I get that, but I just wanted to say that boxing doesn't start and end with Floyd Mayweather.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strife777: I would agree with you that MMA is more fun except when they start hugging on the floor it gets REALLY SLOW.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@koolaid said:

I mean, I'm pissed off too. But mostly because I wanted to see Pacquiao beat the shit out of this guy.

Didn't everyone?

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the reason this fight was so hyped? I get that both boxers are top notch, but don't they fight eachother all the time if that's the case? Or are they in seperate leagues or something?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: There wasn't really. A few years ago this was very hyped up. Champion vs Champion kind of deal. But the promoters and fighters couldn't get to an agreement. Flash forward 5 years later and they finally got it all sorted out.

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm far from an expert, but I believe the reason this fight was "boring" is the same reason Mayweather is so good. If you want a show, watch wrestling. If you want to see people getting beat up, go to worldstarhiphop or something. Watching two of the best boxers means you're watching two guys playing it safe, not taking chances, and trying to be accurate. Entertaining boxing matches aren't necessarily "good". Mayweather came in, kept up his incredible defense, and focused on landing punches. That isn't "fun" to watch. He's amazing at what he does, but he's not an entertainer. I didn't go in expecting an exciting match where I'm cheering and yelling. I knew this would be a very technical and deliberate win for Mayweather. There is no advantage to taking risks in boxing, even if it's fun for the audience. Mayweather will likely retire in the next year, and probably remain undefeated. Nothing wrong with boxing smart. He was objectively better this fight. No controversy or excuses needed. He out-boxed Pacquiao, period.

The majority of the people that I talked to (myself included) before and after the fight said the same thing. Everyone knew Mayweather would win, even though they wanted Pacquiao to take it.

Avatar image for insane_shadowblade85
insane_shadowblade85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carryboy said:
@mirado said:

What do you know, a Mayweather fight that looked exactly like a Mayweather fight. Pacquiao barely landed anything, had surprisingly unimpressive volume, and spent far too much time going head on with Mayweather, who was more then happy to let him walk directly into his jabs.

Mayweather's defense remains frustratingly impenetrable, and I keep making money off of people who bet with their heart and not their head. Shame, really; while I didn't expect otherwise, I wish Pacquiao could have landed a few more punches like the one that stunned Mayweather early, and pulled out the upset. Alas, I guess.

You made $1000 on this fight? I made $1000 on this fight too!

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Onemanarmyy

@hassun: So it takes 5 years till people see the two top dogs fighting it out? Doesn't boxing have some sort of season / league setting? Or are those two guys from different leagues which prevents them from fighting eachother on a regular basis?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed8c7c6e043f
deactivated-5ed8c7c6e043f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at the pole, I think a lot of people confused who they want to win with who they think will win. Whether you just dislike Mayweather or outright hate him, he is the most dominant boxer in his weight class at this moment.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: Boxing is crazy like that. It's all about fight promoters and managers and making deals. Professional boxing has been a huge mess for a long time. When competitors and in different weight categories or organizations it gets even worse.

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm far from an expert, but I believe the reason this fight was "boring" is the same reason Mayweather is so good. If you want a show, watch wrestling. If you want to see people getting beat up, go to worldstarhiphop or something. Watching two of the best boxers means you're watching two guys playing it safe, not taking chances, and trying to be accurate. Entertaining boxing matches aren't necessarily "good". Mayweather came in, kept up his incredible defense, and focused on landing punches. That isn't "fun" to watch. He's amazing at what he does, but he's not an entertainer. I didn't go in expecting an exciting match where I'm cheering and yelling. I knew this would be a very technical and deliberate win for Mayweather. There is no advantage to taking risks in boxing, even if it's fun for the audience. Mayweather will likely retire in the next year, and probably remain undefeated. Nothing wrong with boxing smart. He was objectively better this fight. No controversy or excuses needed. He out-boxed Pacquiao, period.

The majority of the people that I talked to (myself included) before and after the fight said the same thing. Everyone knew Mayweather would win, even though they wanted Pacquiao to take it.

Pretty much. This was not a heavyweight fight between power punchers. Mayweather's game is to play defense, counterpunch and squirt out of corners. That's what we got.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gamefreak9:

Sounds like you need to watch Hajime no Ippo. It'll give you plenty of the absurd brutal full-power beatdowns you love, and make you respect the "wimpy" light punches as well.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pierre42: Anime? I will add it to my summer list. Though its not quite what I had in mind.

Carryboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@carryboy said:
@mirado said:

You made $1000 on this fight? I made $1000 on this fight too!

High Five!!!

Lets shower ourselves with our new found wealth.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: So it takes 5 years till people see the two top dogs fighting it out? Doesn't boxing have some sort of season / league setting? Or are those two guys from different leagues which prevents them from fighting eachother on a regular basis?

thats not how boxing works (but it should). Boxing is an event more so than a sport. 99% of the time promoters, coach and the boxer themselves need to come to an agreement whether or not this or that fight should happen. Then they sign papers and agree on money splits. Which is why mayweather was/is never a champion in many people's eyes. This guy show a pretty consistent record of picking fights he can win and ONLY ones he can win. Actually he said so as much himself. 5 years ago when pacman have all the fire and ferocity of youth, mayweather turn the offer to fight him down because of obvious reasons. He was too fast and his punch too powerful. 5 years later an in fighter like pacman lost a lot of his fire and his growing age does not help a brawler like him. Compare to Mayweather's defensive style that is possible to be maintain even with growing age. Mayweather sign the deal, again for obvious reasons.

People are saying regardless of his character mayweather is a smart boxer. That is true and also he clearly win this fight but he will NEVER be a true champ in a lot of people's eyes. As a champion you dont dodge fighting tough enemies and pick on ones you can beat then proclaim yourself champion. That is what a villian does. Compare to Mike Tyson (brawler) or Ali (technician) in their youth, same questionable characters but those men fought like champions.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinjin977: Wow that sounds pretty crazy. How to keep your sport relevant if theres no regular competition to follow and the events can be cherrypicked by the topdogs?

Thanks for giving some background information.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well now after someone at work saying "so did anyone watch the fight" and we all go "huh" and she said "I didn't expect anyone here to know what's going on," well, now I know.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: It's one of the reasons pro boxing has not been relevant for a very long time.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

You know people complaining about this only reinforce to me why ProWrestling is and will continue to be more entertaining than MMA or Boxing. Even if a PPV or show is handled badly wrestling is still almost always entertaining even if its a bad show.

No Caption Provided