Metal Gear Solid tiki drink?

DrinkMoxie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hello! So I've been slowly working on my little tiki bar during lockdown. The other night I made a Painkiller, then put a little Venom Snake figure next to it and took a picture. Painkiller - Phantom Pain... get it?

So I started thinking about a Phantom Painkiller drink, and how to make a MGS inspired tiki cocktail. Here's what I've got so far:

There's a cocktail called a Phantom, which uses Licor 43. I don't know if Licor 43 is used in a lot of tiki drinks, and I've never had it, but it claims to be made with "43 herbs, fruits, and spices, including vanilla and citrus" which sounds reasonably tiki to me.

No Caption Provided

Could it be as simple as adding Licor 43 to my Painkiller recipe? Who knows? I'll have to try it and find out. Posting this in case anyone is interested, or has some ideas for any other MGS tiki drinks. Or drinks in general. Let's drink

sakesushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've only started messing around with cocktails for a few years now and I typically fall on the non-tiki side of things (I have some rums but can't be bothered to have all those juices around when I'm usually leaning away from the fruity), so I'm not familiar with any of the drinks and liquor you mentioned above. Naturally, Google informed me a bit, and apparently Licor 43's very vanilla-forward, followed behind by some fruity and some cinnamon. This sounds weird in the Painkiller recipes I looked up, like the whole flavor would just get muddy in the end? One site did suggest adding the 43 to a screwdriver, so maybe it's not out of the question.

But hey, if you have the ingredients, it's always worth a shot! I wouldn't have found out a mule using Kahlua is a disgusting idea if I didn't go for it!

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

Please please please turn this into a series! I am 100% down with you creating a series in which you attempt to create odd cocktails from video games and/or video game adjacent properties.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this idea! Please keep making and sharing cool cocktails on here, as I am just getting into cocktails and find this to be potentially motivating to experiment.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Some drink with an egg in it could by a reference to the sunny side up egg recipe from MGS4. I would never touch a drink with a raw egg in it mind you, but it’s an idea. I think you put one in a Red Eye? (Possible Raiden reference)

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

No Caption Provided

I few years back, I bought this semi-insulated Coconut drinking cup from Amazon. The inner part under the top is white too.

Its very simple and very tough. Sadly, the don't make them anymore, they sell online used for twice as much.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

Made a Brave Bull recently, like a Black Russian but you switch the vodka with tequila blanco. I kinda like it.

DrinkMoxie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DrinkMoxie

When I was thinking about this, the thing that stuck in my mind for some reason was the phantom cigar. Snake's herbal vape thing, I think it had wormwood or whatever. So I was looking at my bar and thinking about how to add an herbal flavor to my stupid MGS-themed tiki drink with spending 20 some-odd bucks on another bottle I don't have room for. My mind turned to my freezer. I've been trying to get Jagermeister to catch back on as a digestif, so I usually have some. Jager has a real herbal flavor, along with citrus and spice, and those things are all building blocks of tiki drinks. Plus, the Frank Jaeger?Gray Fox connection is right there. Not one, but TWO tenuous connections to Metal Gear? Good enough for me!

So here's my first whack at my MGSV Phantom Painkiller

-2oz Rum: Look up 10 different recipes, and they'll tell you 10 different rums. Use Pusser's if you're a purist, use whatever you have if you're not. I used dark spiced rum.

-3.5oz Pineapple Juice: I cut back on this to try and not overpower the Jager. More on that later.

-1oz Orange Juice

-1oz Cream of Coconut

-.5oz Jagermeister: I figured a little of this stuff would go a long way, but it was at odds with all the fruit juice. Going forward I would use 1oz.

Shake with ice, serve over shitty ice from your fridge's ice dispenser, garnish with grated nutmeg. Not exactly creating a new drink so much as slightly modifying an existing one, but there you go.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9  Edited By Nodima

@drinkmoxie said:

Not exactly creating a new drink so much as slightly modifying an existing one, but there you go.

You might enjoy a book called Cocktail Codex by Alex Day and two others. It's a bit pricy ($40 MSRP) but it's very well made and super approachably written for both professional bartenders like myself and laymen like yourself. It's essential argument is that there are only six cocktails, and everything thereafter is really just a riff on those core recipes. The Six: Old Fashioned, Martini, Daquiri, Sidecar, Highball and Flip. The easiest example one can point to, because they lead with the Old Fashioned, is: but wait! The Manhattan is as fundamental as it gets! But actually, it's just a Whiskey Martini with sweet vermouth subbed for dry.

I recommend it to all of my peers but I think it's an essential own for the home bartender as well because it can help expand your idea of what a cocktail can or should be without just throwing a bunch of shit in a mixing glass and hoping it works out okay. By the time you're through the Daiquiri section of that book, most aspiring bartenders should be able to move on from "I hope this works" to "I hope this is as great as I'm fairly certain it will be". It also doesn't just throw a ton of recipes at you, it explains why the recipe they prefer was arrived at, and in each section once they've broken down the essential ingredients for the root cocktail they break it out into several recommended spirits and how that spirit would affect the drink - for example, Elijah Craig bourbon vs. Rittenhouse rye in an Old Fashioned.

VVarbler89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You have to consider that there are many MANY people without resources right now. Had you even considered a stripped down version of the drink, perhaps utilizing listerine and five alive, with a maraschino cherry? No? Any person in the world can tell I'm being salty but what I wouldn't do for a dogdick spritzer and a Julio Montoya nightcap....

Simply delightful!