Moving to a new state in six days. Any advice?

DriveupLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By DriveupLife

This Saturday I will be moving from Miami Florida to Lexington Kentucky for my new job that's starting june 27th. I'm taking only what I can fit in my four door hatchback. I have a 2/2 townhouse waiting for me when I arrive (650/mo), so at least I don't need to spend a few days in a hotel apartment searching. Any advice for a fresh out of college grad moving away from home? Moving tips, where to get furniture, ways to meet new people in a new city etc. Anyone else doing a move any time soon?any and all comments appreciated.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Subjugation

I heard IKEA is all the rage. As for meeting people, that'll likely happen at your job. If it doesn't turn out to your liking try finding groups/clubs for social activities. Or bars I guess if drunk people are your thing. Once you find one cool dude or dudette you like you tend to get exposed to their circle of friends and their friends' circle of friends and so on and so forth. Getting your foot in the door is the hard part.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

Don't be a pussy and enjoy your new town. 

Hit the bars on weekends to get to know the locals, and as it is Kentucky I'm assuming it's kinda country-ish.  Don't get your friends to move, they don't wanna do it.  Get furniture from the local Ikea, dunno if Kentucky would even have one so find the best thing like it.    

Just enjoy your new town and meet people.  Don't say inside.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta

moving to a different city sucks, I've lived in 6 cities in my 19 years (Portland, Gresham, Salem, Reno, Eugene and Las Vegas) and if you already have a job lined up, meeting people there will be the easiest. It's also good to explore places within a 1-2 mile radius or so, and to try hitting up local food spots that aren't chains.

as for friends I still haven't made any here in vegas ;_;, but that's because I have social issues that I assume you don't have. overall, moving to a different place can be fun. dependant on the city, obviously, but...

Avatar image for christiancastillo
ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ChristianCastillo

I'm actually moving from New Jersey to West Palm Beach, Florida in a month or two.  I'm moving with my entire family and this is the first time we ever move.  It's probably going to be difficult at first but I bet we will soon get situated. Best advice I can think of is to get to know the place where you're going to live.  Look around and find things to do.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6  Edited By JasonR86
@DriveupLife

It depends on the furniture you want.  If you want high quality I don't know if I can help.  But simple things that are solid but will likely last you can find at retail stores like Target.  I'm sure there's places near where you are going that are furniture-only stores that will have good stuff at reasonable prices.  As for moving your stuff, you probably can't afford a moving company so just try to get as much shit in your car that you can.  For meeting people, go to bars or night clubs.  Use your job as a place to meet new people as well.

Good luck.
mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By mikemcn

I can only imagine gun laws are way less strict in Kentucky, so, you know what to do from there.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mesklinite

Online dating, meet girls and get to know your city that way, much more interesting to do ;)

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By VisariLoyalist

get some kfc and giggle to yourself

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MariachiMacabre

@VisariLoyalist said:

get some kfc and giggle to yourself

This is a good idea. Do this.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By sopranosfan

Get a lot of University of Louisville items and display them proudly.  That will allow you to meet a lot of people while in Lexington.

Fajita_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Fajita_Jim

Don't spend any money you don't have to for a few months. Figure out what your expenses are going to be first. It's always a shock the first time moving out and realizing how much shit you didn't have to pay for.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By iam3green

i don't know if Kentucky has it but ikea. it's the place to buy young people furniture. hope that your work has your age people. go out to a bar to find some one.