My 360 musing - will I or won't I?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Edited By oldschool

Forgive me whilst I indulge in my mental musing about the Xbox 360.  You see, I have been a major critic about the hardware for a long time and with good reason.  However, to deny the library for it would be ignorance in the highest degree.  I have been swayed of late (since late last year) because there were supposedly hardware changes (the falcon motherboard?) that should have rendered the high failure rate to one that is more normal for any electronic hardware.

As of today, I was paid a substantial bonus for work (several thousand dollars), so I decided it was time to treat myself to my second console this generation (actually, from a technical point of view, it would be my third as I have 2 Wiis - PAL & NTSC).  Yes, I could have gone with the PS3, but no.  Whilst the PS3 is without a doubt, a much better console in every way, it is still too expensive at $700 and the library is still light on for games that interest me.  When talking about games, it also must be considered the significant number of cheap games, both new and used, available for the 360.  With the $300 saving on the 360, I could easily add  at least 10 games to play.

Once I made the decision that it would be a 360, the next decision is about the reality of the games library.  Yes, it is big, but it isn't about size, it is about interest.  To this end, for 2 nights I gave the library a good study and was rather surprised by how little I was interested in.  It shouldn't have been that big a surprise really.  Looking back at last generation, the Xbox had the least interesting library for me.  Even though I have near 60 games, it is only the Gamecube and PS2 games that I am still playing.  Fact is, I don't care for shooting games.

So what games am I interested in and do they justify a purchase.
  1. Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
  2. Bioshock
  3. Blue Dragon (the game I want the most and quite possibly a system seller for me)
  4. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  5. Enchanted Arms
  6. Eternal Sonata
  7. Fable II
  8. Infinite Undiscovery
  9. Lost Odyssey
  10. Mass Effect
  11. Resident Evil 5
  12. Star Ocean: The Last Hope
  13. Tales of Vesperia
  14. Viva Pinata
  15. Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise

..... and that's it.  Not a lot really, but still than a PS3 list would be.  As it is, my Wii library is over 50 games, but if that was narrowed down to the games I REALLY wanted, as opposed to those I bought cheap, it will still number about 20.  So, is that sufficient to get one?  I say yes.  That yes is supported by a decent number of games that I know I can get cheap, cheap enough to class them as good value.

Still looking good then.  So what model should I get?  I had a quick look around today and discovered the best deals are at EB Games.  It seems that the only Sku department stores are interested in selling is the Arcade pack.  It certainly is the only that gets promoted.  Thing is, why would I get it?  No hard drive.  It comes with games I could care less about or have (Sega Superstars Tennis, Kung Fu Panda or Indiana Jones seem to be the norm).

The two choices I have is a Pro Bundle at $400 (the RRP for the 360), with bonus games of Halo Wars and Assassin's Creed or the Resident Evil 5 pack (red console) for $569, with a 120Gb HD and the games Resident Evil 5, Streetfighter IV and Halo Wars.

Whilst I like RTS, Halo Wars can only be considered an average game.  I would play Assassin's Creed, but it means nothing to me.  Streetfighter IV has very limited appeal to me.  Resident Evil 5 is on my list.  The extra $170 for the RE5 pack just doesn't grab me.  I do know the owner of the EB store, so I might be able to choose different games to Halo Wars and Assassin's Creed, it is worth asking.

Lastly in my thinking, a rumour from left field hits me.  The 360 is about to get an upgrade and price drop.  Should I wait?  The rumours are about a small price drop ($20US, a larger hard drive and an included HDMI cable.  Rumours are not normally all that reliable though.  I'm thinking that waiting isn't really worth it as even if true, the addition of bonus games would probably disappear and leave me in the same position, price wise, anyway.

One extra last musing, I bought my first 360 game today.  Yep, I have a game and no console.  Now I have to buy one right?  No prizes for guessing the game.  It was Blue Dragon.  As it was a clearance line, I wasn't going to miss the opportunity.

A new Xbox 360 it is for me then.  It better not disappoint.  Of course, anything could happen between now and my next visit to EB.  I have been known to change my mind a lot :-)
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By oldschool

Forgive me whilst I indulge in my mental musing about the Xbox 360.  You see, I have been a major critic about the hardware for a long time and with good reason.  However, to deny the library for it would be ignorance in the highest degree.  I have been swayed of late (since late last year) because there were supposedly hardware changes (the falcon motherboard?) that should have rendered the high failure rate to one that is more normal for any electronic hardware.

As of today, I was paid a substantial bonus for work (several thousand dollars), so I decided it was time to treat myself to my second console this generation (actually, from a technical point of view, it would be my third as I have 2 Wiis - PAL & NTSC).  Yes, I could have gone with the PS3, but no.  Whilst the PS3 is without a doubt, a much better console in every way, it is still too expensive at $700 and the library is still light on for games that interest me.  When talking about games, it also must be considered the significant number of cheap games, both new and used, available for the 360.  With the $300 saving on the 360, I could easily add  at least 10 games to play.

Once I made the decision that it would be a 360, the next decision is about the reality of the games library.  Yes, it is big, but it isn't about size, it is about interest.  To this end, for 2 nights I gave the library a good study and was rather surprised by how little I was interested in.  It shouldn't have been that big a surprise really.  Looking back at last generation, the Xbox had the least interesting library for me.  Even though I have near 60 games, it is only the Gamecube and PS2 games that I am still playing.  Fact is, I don't care for shooting games.

So what games am I interested in and do they justify a purchase.
  1. Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
  2. Bioshock
  3. Blue Dragon (the game I want the most and quite possibly a system seller for me)
  4. Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
  5. Enchanted Arms
  6. Eternal Sonata
  7. Fable II
  8. Infinite Undiscovery
  9. Lost Odyssey
  10. Mass Effect
  11. Resident Evil 5
  12. Star Ocean: The Last Hope
  13. Tales of Vesperia
  14. Viva Pinata
  15. Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise

..... and that's it.  Not a lot really, but still than a PS3 list would be.  As it is, my Wii library is over 50 games, but if that was narrowed down to the games I REALLY wanted, as opposed to those I bought cheap, it will still number about 20.  So, is that sufficient to get one?  I say yes.  That yes is supported by a decent number of games that I know I can get cheap, cheap enough to class them as good value.

Still looking good then.  So what model should I get?  I had a quick look around today and discovered the best deals are at EB Games.  It seems that the only Sku department stores are interested in selling is the Arcade pack.  It certainly is the only that gets promoted.  Thing is, why would I get it?  No hard drive.  It comes with games I could care less about or have (Sega Superstars Tennis, Kung Fu Panda or Indiana Jones seem to be the norm).

The two choices I have is a Pro Bundle at $400 (the RRP for the 360), with bonus games of Halo Wars and Assassin's Creed or the Resident Evil 5 pack (red console) for $569, with a 120Gb HD and the games Resident Evil 5, Streetfighter IV and Halo Wars.

Whilst I like RTS, Halo Wars can only be considered an average game.  I would play Assassin's Creed, but it means nothing to me.  Streetfighter IV has very limited appeal to me.  Resident Evil 5 is on my list.  The extra $170 for the RE5 pack just doesn't grab me.  I do know the owner of the EB store, so I might be able to choose different games to Halo Wars and Assassin's Creed, it is worth asking.

Lastly in my thinking, a rumour from left field hits me.  The 360 is about to get an upgrade and price drop.  Should I wait?  The rumours are about a small price drop ($20US, a larger hard drive and an included HDMI cable.  Rumours are not normally all that reliable though.  I'm thinking that waiting isn't really worth it as even if true, the addition of bonus games would probably disappear and leave me in the same position, price wise, anyway.

One extra last musing, I bought my first 360 game today.  Yep, I have a game and no console.  Now I have to buy one right?  No prizes for guessing the game.  It was Blue Dragon.  As it was a clearance line, I wasn't going to miss the opportunity.

A new Xbox 360 it is for me then.  It better not disappoint.  Of course, anything could happen between now and my next visit to EB.  I have been known to change my mind a lot :-)
Steve_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Steve_Evil

Well you've got to get one now you've bought Blue Dragon. You might want to have a nose through your profile though as it specifically states in there, and I quote:

"I will soon have a PS3 but will not get a 360 as it is defective and an insult to the consumers."

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
Steve_Evil said:
"Well you've got to get one now you've bought Blue Dragon. You might want to have a nose through your profile though as it specifically states in there, and I quote:"I will soon have a PS3 but will not get a 360 as it is defective and an insult to the consumers.""
Yeah, that's pretty dumb.  You see how my mind wanders.  I can barely keep a single, consistent thought going.

In my defence, that was written a while ago (hence I need to change it).  The new chip wasn't in place for the 360 and I really expected the PS3 to get cheaper (it didn't).
Steve_Evil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Steve_Evil

I'm the same, Wednesday I'd convinced myself I didn't need Persona 4 as I've got too much else to play and would probably end up playing it for a while, then leaving it for months, forgetting the story and then shelving it. Today I placed the order... D'oh.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Linkyshinks

Haha, you like pointing that fact out don't you :) 

Well I think you certainly have to rule out a Arcade bundle, getting one of those is a complete waste of time. I would say opt from the Premium for now, especially given your online situation. What is the current situation anyway?.

A HDD is required by some games, and well as that there's now the option top run some games off your HDD, making the console run significantly quieter. A very good thing

I would wait mate, give it a little while yet and see if anything drops.

Good games there. Maybe there are some xbox originals that you still need to get, like KoToR and Fable, or have you already got them?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By oldschool
Linkyshinks said:
" Haha, you like pointing that fact out don't you :) 
At least twice a day!
Well I think you certainly have to rule out a Arcade bundle, getting one of those is a complete waste of time. I would say opt from the Premium for now, especially given your online situation. What is the current situation anyway?.
Definitely leaving out the arcade - not an option.  My online situation is that my broadband is satellite and not compatible with consoles (the Wii at least, not sure on the 360 until I tried it.  Not really interested in online gaming to be honest though and Arcade games don't do anything for me, not even Braid.
I would wait mate, give it a little while yet and see if anything drops. 
Yeah, but I finally made up my mind.  If I wait anything could happen - like spending my bonus and not having any money to get it.  Plus, the way my mind wanders, I will probably hate the 360 again in 2 weeks.  I'm getting a headache :-)
Good games there. Maybe there are some xbox originals that you still need to get, like KoToR and Fable, or have you already got them?
Yes.  I got all the good Xbox games and some of the not so good :P

I really want to get some cheap car racing games.  I love a good car game, but only when cheap as they quickly become - PGR 3/4, GRID, DIRT and especially Forza 2.  HD car race on my plasma should be good.  That is one thing my Wii will never offer me.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool

Well, it is D-day tomorrow.  WIll I or won't I?  I am going to work with the intention of returning with a 360, but not without reservations.

I want to play Blue Dragon dammit!

Reading all the threads on dead, dying and defective 360s here over the weekend has not been helpful.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By crunchUK
Linkyshinks said:
" Haha, you like pointing that fact out don't you :)  Well I think you certainly have to rule out a Arcade bundle, getting one of those is a complete waste of time. I would say opt from the Premium for now, especially given your online situation. What is the current situation anyway?. A HDD is required by some games, and well as that there's now the option top run some games off your HDD, making the console run significantly quieter. A very good thingI would wait mate, give it a little while yet and see if anything drops. Good games there. Maybe there are some xbox originals that you still need to get, like KoToR and Fable, or have you already got them?"
Yeah, do not get an arcade. You will eventually regret it and buy all the stuff that would have come with the 60GB and end up spending more. ***speaks out of experience***

Oh and 360 is beast for online play
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
crunchUK said:
"Linkyshinks said:
" Haha, you like pointing that fact out don't you :)  Well I think you certainly have to rule out a Arcade bundle, getting one of those is a complete waste of time. I would say opt from the Premium for now, especially given your online situation. What is the current situation anyway?. A HDD is required by some games, and well as that there's now the option top run some games off your HDD, making the console run significantly quieter. A very good thingI would wait mate, give it a little while yet and see if anything drops. Good games there. Maybe there are some xbox originals that you still need to get, like KoToR and Fable, or have you already got them?"
Yeah, do not get an arcade. You will eventually regret it and buy all the stuff that would have come with the 60GB and end up spending more. ***speaks out of experience***Oh and 360 is beast for online play"
I definitely WILL NOT get an arcade.  Never really an option.  It is certainly the one that gets promoted the most in Australia - to the casual market.

Unless Xbox Live runs off broadband satellite (which the Wii will not), then online play is not an option.
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crunchUK
oldschool said:
"crunchUK said:
"Linkyshinks said:
Yeah, do not get an arcade. You will eventually regret it and buy all the stuff that would have come with the 60GB and end up spending more. ***speaks out of experience***Oh and 360 is beast for online play"
I definitely WILL NOT get an arcade.  Never really an option.  It is certainly the one that gets promoted the most in Australia - to the casual market.

Unless Xbox Live runs off broadband satellite (which the Wii will not), then online play is not an option.
"
I'm pretty sure you could just run an ethernet cable from your xbox to the ocmputer
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By oldschool
crunchUK said:
I'm pretty sure you could just run an ethernet cable from your xbox to the ocmputer"
But satellite has this very small delay with signal.  It interrupts it.  That makes games a problem (or so I am told).'

I figure that the 360 has no built in wi-fi, so I will just try it connected to my laptop (wireless router to it) and see what happens.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By Red

The 360 won't get a price drop, but the PS3 probably will. Wait until GDC is over.

For games, be sure to get Mass Effect and Banjo Kazooie. Don't bother with too many of the JRPGs besides Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia. Get Trouble in Paradise if you want it, and Burnout Paradise if you want a racing game.
For a bundle, just get the standard pack: you're not gonna use the extra 60gigs of the RE5 pack.

Don't stress out about the defectiveness so much: I've had my 360 for 15 months without a hitch, and if worse comes to very worse, just get an arcade unit. If the PS3 and 360 were normal price, I'd tell you to get a PS3 (just a lot easier), but the price difference means you should get a 360. Good luck.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By oldschool
Red said:
"The 360 won't get a price drop, but the PS3 probably will. Wait until GDC is over.
For games, be sure to get Mass Effect and Banjo Kazooie. Don't bother with too many of the JRPGs besides Lost Odyssey, Eternal Sonata and Tales of Vesperia. Get Trouble in Paradise if you want it, and Burnout Paradise if you want a racing game.
For a bundle, just get the standard pack: you're not gonna use the extra 60gigs of the RE5 pack.

Don't stress out about the defectiveness so much: I've had my 360 for 15 months without a hitch, and if worse comes to very worse, just get an arcade unit. If the PS3 and 360 were normal price, I'd tell you to get a PS3 (just a lot easier), but the price difference means you should get a 360. Good luck.
"
Mass Effect is very high on my list.  I was thinking about the PC version, but I much prefer a console one.  I am sure the whole family will love Banjo Kazooie.

I have seen PGR3 for a mere $10 locally, so that will be my first car game.  Another not on my list, but I am tempted to pick up, is a clearance on Devil May Cry 4.  My elder daughter will like that one more than me.  There is always a good game on clearance somewhere.  As I said, the $300 saving against the PS3 will buy me a good starting library.  A no brainer really.  Pity the best hardware is so expensive - go figure :P
jcisg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jcisg

I wish I got a several thosand dollar bonus check.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By oldschool
JCisG said:
"I wish I got a several thosand dollar bonus check."
I recommend it.  I found it to be a very pleasant experience.

Plus, next month, my Prime Minister is giving me a few thousand dollars to spend, to help us out of the recession.  What recession?  I have never had it so good.

I do sympathise with those who are not doing so well in all seriousness.  This is the 4th major recession in my lifetime - 70s oil, 80s stockmarket, 90s massive interest rates and now.  They all end.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By oldschool

Am I destined to not get a 360?  I did not return home today with one.  They were out of stock.

Still, I have made a commitment.  I put a deposit on one and they get stock this Friday.

I did buy another game for a console I don't  though - Devil May Cry 4 - it was cheap.  Plus, EB is having a 2 games for $50 sale starting Thursday, so I am sure I will get a few games to get me truly started (I know Enchanted Arms is part of it, so that is a start).
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Red

Don't get Enchanted Arms: it's just a very dated, boring JRPG. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By oldschool
Red said:
"Don't get Enchanted Arms: it's just a very dated, boring JRPG. "
But I may enjoy it.  

Yes, I know the reviews were a bit middling, but not bad.  I think I will get $25 worth of fun out of it.
teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By teh_destroyer

RE5,Bioshock,Oblivion,and Fallout 3 will keep you busy for a while.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By oldschool

Well, it happened.  I am now a 360 owner.  24 hours and it still hasn't got a RRoD, so far so good :P

I spent $650 on the console and 10 games.  Considering the PS3 costs $700, it is hard to arguee against the economics aspect.

My starting collection, in order of what interests me most is:
  • Eternal Sonata (it is sooooo cute - beautiful to look at)
  • Blue Dragon (I just like Japanese RPG)
  • Mass Effect  (it appeals to the sci-fi nerd in me)
  • Enchanted Arms (more Japanese RPG and more gay characters than you can shake your bum at)
  • Devil May Care 4 (for the emo in me)
  • Star Trek Legacy (for the massive nerd in me)
  • Naruto Rise of a Ninja (for the anime nerd in me)
  • Scene It! Lights, Camera, Action (for some pleasant family fun)
  • Halo Wars (for the RTS fan in me -even if PC is much better)
  • Assassin's Creed (well ...... it was free)

All the games were cheap (by Australian standards) costing $25 each (except DMC4 - $30 & Scene It at $36 with the controllers).  I did bypass Gears of War and Saint's Row at the same price, although I may be tempted to go back and pick up Gears of War - just to look cool :P

Holy cyclone that fan is noisy.  With the family in bed, I can't turn the televsion up loud enough to drown it out, without waking everyone.  My attempt to connect to the internet failed.  To be honest, I have no real idea how to fo it.  I connected the ethernet cable from the 360 to my Macbook running on Windows, wirelessly connected to a router and it failed.  I probably need to do other stuff, but I have no idea what and due to being on satellite broadband, there is a good chance it won't connect anyway.
Gmanall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Gmanall

Get MGS 4, wait just in that is not coming to 360.
 Chessmaster the art of learning, wait.
 Dude GTA and Bioshock should be at the top of the list. 

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By oldschool
Gmanall said:
" Get MGS 4, wait just in that is not coming to 360. Chessmaster the art of learning, wait. Dude GTA and Bioshock should be at the top of the list.  "
The list is games I have.  Bioshock holds some appeal and it is getting quite cheap, so I expect to own it sometime soon.  I played the demo on my iMac and quite liked it.  GTA IV holds very limited appeal.  It would have to get very cheap before I took nay notice.  Even if MGS 4 was on the 360 I would care even less than GTA IV.  I have one of the games on the Xbox and it really didn't  grab me.

Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Last Remnamt, Star Ocean, Fallout 3 and Fable II are at the top of list for games that I want.

As for games on the radar, the only ones I ahve some interest in are - Aliens Colonial Marines, Sacred 2 Fallen Angel, You're In The Movies, and Alpha Protocol.  Even then, none of those is a major title.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
oldschool said:
"Gmanall said:
" Get MGS 4, wait just in that is not coming to 360. Chessmaster the art of learning, wait. Dude GTA and Bioshock should be at the top of the list.  "
The list is games I have.  Bioshock holds some appeal and it is getting quite cheap, so I expect to own it sometime soon.  I played the demo on my iMac and quite liked it.  GTA IV holds very limited appeal.  It would have to get very cheap before I took nay notice.  Even if MGS 4 was on the 360 I would care even less than GTA IV.  I have one of the games on the Xbox and it really didn't  grab me.

Lost Odyssey, Tales of Vesperia, Last Remnamt, Star Ocean, Fallout 3 and Fable II are at the top of list for games that I want.

As for games on the radar, the only ones I ahve some interest in are - Aliens Colonial Marines, Sacred 2 Fallen Angel, You're In The Movies, and Alpha Protocol.  Even then, none of those is a major title.

"
I like your taste in games. :D By the way, try looking into the stuff on the Xbox Live Arcade. Braid, Castle Crashers, and Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 might be of interest to you. Castle Crashers also has an option to turn off blood effects too, if I remember correctly, if you want to do that for family play. You can get demos of all of the Live Arcade games for free, too.
Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

I think you made a wise decision. :-)  What I have found is that with the 20G hdd works
great as long as you keep track of the space. However, once you start looking at DLC
or copying the game to a hard drive, there is no room left.  I found that I could not play
GTA IV unless it was copied to the hdd, then it worked solid but I had no space left
& would not be able to try the DLC expansions for GTA IV -OR- Fallout 3.  So I went out
& bought a 120G hdd for the system & now I won't have to worry about disk space for
the lifetime of the 360.  I use Netflix for the movie system & you can also use TVersity,
a free tool to watch mp4 movies or listen to music from your PC.

Now that I have this spare 20G hdd, I've been thinking of getting another 360 Arcade
so I can put another 360 to use in a separate location.  So how do games like
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed grab you?  I've found that to be a blast on the 360
so far.

Don't listen to the cows about porkstation 3.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor
Gmanall said:
Chessmaster is downloadable on XBL, goofer.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By oldschool
Lind_L_Taylor said:
" So how do games like Star Wars: The Force Unleashed grab you?  I've found that to be a blast on the 360so far.  Don't listen to the cows about porkstation 3."
Star Wars Unleashed looks like one of those 'average'  StarWars games.  Don't get me wrong, I love Star Wars.  I have a big number of games from it.  Trouble is, too many are just average.  It would have to be cheap.

The PS3 is the best hardware, but the games seriously don't grab me (outside of a small select group like Disgaea and Little Big Planet) and don't mention the price - maybe next year?