My Date with the Kraken

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By Linkyshinks

Hi friends, hope your all well and apologies if I have not visited your blogs of late, but I can assure you I have been trying to. I do have a day off today so I will make an effort.

I'm taking some of this time off to tell you about a date I had a while back...

My work, which which I wont divulge upon in detail, is is art related, sometimes it takes me to some interesting places for research purposes. A little while ago I was granted permission by the head curator of marine biology at London's Natural History Museum to take a rare close look at a fascinating creature. The creature we today call Giant Squid.  The same creature that gave birth to the legend of the Kraken.

My Date with the Kraken

After having adorned myself with a white lab coat, I met with Carmen the head curator at the reception of the facility. After some quintessentially English pleasantries, she lead me onto a open lift that descended into the depths of the Darwin Centre. That's the name of the large research facility that's connected to the back of the Natural History Museum. She told me en route to the "Tank Room" that the facility had cost many millions pounds to make, and that it required unprecedented global cooperation. She added that it housed some of the worlds most rarest specimens. including many bizarre creatures like the one I was about to see. She told me that many creatures the facility had are so rare and live in environments so extreme that humans never ever come across them, and that they were in effect aliens. It was then that felt like a intrepid explorer as the lift descended through the floors.

Once we had hit the bottom, with a gentle judder, I was then lead through a series of temperature controlled corridors and rooms with security doors which seemed straight out of Star Trek. The swooshing sound they made as they opened was very cool. I had never thought  s**t like this existed for real. I was pleasantly and secretly surprised..

As we made our way to the Tank Room we passed many rooms specimen room, huge rooms, dedicated to a wide array of land animals.  Some were preserved in fluid, while others, which were clearly a lot older, had been stuffed many years previously. Carmen kindly switched the lights on as we walked through. She showed me around slowly and was happy to pass on her knowledge, despite the fact she was no expert due to land creatures not being her field.

There were a lot of WTF moments, I saw stuff I had no idea existed. it dawned on me then how amazing this planet must be if there are so many creatures people still have no idea about. I would love to be able to show pics of what I saw, but unfortunately I didn't have permission to take photo's of those specimens, and I did not want to risk not being able to return one day for more research.

It was certainly quite a macabre scene, I imagine it would have upset some people to bare witness to it.. I adore nature and understand the quest to understand it is vital to our existance and the animals that survive today. As a result, I have no problem with it. Although I will admit to feeling queasy at times.

We finally came to the doors of the Tank Room. I looked above and noticed an odd looking rail that ran beyond the door. I naturally wondered what that was for, so asked. Carmen replied, "you'll see.." she pressed her finger upon the touch pad and the doors swooshed open. I was immediately struck with a revolting stench of chemicals merged with what can only cleanly decribed as a fishy smell :  /. I looked around the room in peering into the jars in astonishment as I stood at the door, not having moved one inch.

At the end of the room there was a very large tank with the Giant Squid inside, I was taken back by it's sheer size. I walked towards it and around it in wonder of it... It was like that scene in Aliens when they come across the face huggers in those specimen jars lol.  I told her it was bigger than I thought, Carmen told be that was actually a juvenile and that a fully grown adult could grow to be three times that size!. She said the rail on the ceiling was how they moved the Giant Squid specimen into the room because it was the only way.

In the centre of the room were a series of large metal tanks, she lifted the lid off one and I immediately realized the source of the terrible smell. The fluid inside was deep brown and murky looking. I couldn't see anything in there myself,  while I peered in covering my mouth and nose. My nose caught the terrible whiff despite my attempts, my gag reflex was tickling my throat and I was about to throw.. She told me to stand back forcefully, I did so happily.

Carmen then walked over to a nearby drawer and snapped some some gloves on while staring at me. Carmen walked over and reached into the tank and grabbed onto something, something I could not see. With both hands she lifted out this huge fish, If you can call it that. She told me it was a newly found specimen of a prehistoric fish thought to be extinct some years ago. It was a fish called a "Coelacanth". Apparently it was in the tank because they had earlier been studying the specimen. She took me over to a PC and showed me images of why it was so special. It's internal anatomy was totally bizarre!. Bishop would have loved this shit!., it did not look like a fish at all inside. And I have cut open a few I can tell you.

She then opened a lid of  another tank and showed me a "Angler fish". the fish made famous by Pixar's Finding Nemo. It still had it's dangly bit still intact. It looked as evil as any creature could be in my mind, with it's grotesque over-sized mouth and long spiny teeth. She opened another, and lifted out what looked like a monster, she asked me to guess what it was, I laughed an naturally replied, I have no idea!. She told me it was a dismembered Penis of a Minke whale, lol.

Carmen then brought me over to a shelf which had a numerous cylindrical jars lined up and said, this is a "Oarfish." What's a Oarfish I replied?. "The Oarfish sir, is the longest bony fish in the world!", she replied.  I then asked how it could possibly be the longest fish in the world when it looked so small?. Carmen told me every jar on the shelf had the cut up segments of the specimen inside. If that was the case the specimen in question must have been nearly ten meters long : /. She allowed me to take one sneaky pic of that but old me not to tell anyone, or she would have to drown me in the tank if I did.

She then walked me over to a cabinet on the wall and pointed to a few smaller specimens. She told me that what I was looking at were in fact some of the very examples Sir Charles Darwin had brought back after one of his research missions. I thought that was kind cool to be able to see also.

The Giant Squid

Architeuthis
Architeuthis

This is a juvenile specimen, an adult is believed to be three times as big!

They have the largest known eye in the animal kingdom

No Caption Provided

They are actually red in colour when alive, but once they are landed they quickly lose this pigment as their tissue detiorates
They are actually red in colour when alive, but once they are landed they quickly lose this pigment as their tissue detiorates

Deadly mother suckers
Deadly mother suckers

Razor sharp serrated suckers, used to wrestle Blue Whales in the deep ocean. They suffocate them by stopping them from taking air at the surface apparently.
Razor sharp serrated suckers, used to wrestle Blue Whales in the deep ocean. They suffocate them by stopping them from taking air at the surface apparently.

Anyone for deep fried squid?
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Hi friends, hope your all well and apologies if I have not visited your blogs of late, but I can assure you I have been trying to. I do have a day off today so I will make an effort.

I'm taking some of this time off to tell you about a date I had a while back...

My work, which which I wont divulge upon in detail, is is art related, sometimes it takes me to some interesting places for research purposes. A little while ago I was granted permission by the head curator of marine biology at London's Natural History Museum to take a rare close look at a fascinating creature. The creature we today call Giant Squid.  The same creature that gave birth to the legend of the Kraken.

My Date with the Kraken

After having adorned myself with a white lab coat, I met with Carmen the head curator at the reception of the facility. After some quintessentially English pleasantries, she lead me onto a open lift that descended into the depths of the Darwin Centre. That's the name of the large research facility that's connected to the back of the Natural History Museum. She told me en route to the "Tank Room" that the facility had cost many millions pounds to make, and that it required unprecedented global cooperation. She added that it housed some of the worlds most rarest specimens. including many bizarre creatures like the one I was about to see. She told me that many creatures the facility had are so rare and live in environments so extreme that humans never ever come across them, and that they were in effect aliens. It was then that felt like a intrepid explorer as the lift descended through the floors.

Once we had hit the bottom, with a gentle judder, I was then lead through a series of temperature controlled corridors and rooms with security doors which seemed straight out of Star Trek. The swooshing sound they made as they opened was very cool. I had never thought  s**t like this existed for real. I was pleasantly and secretly surprised..

As we made our way to the Tank Room we passed many rooms specimen room, huge rooms, dedicated to a wide array of land animals.  Some were preserved in fluid, while others, which were clearly a lot older, had been stuffed many years previously. Carmen kindly switched the lights on as we walked through. She showed me around slowly and was happy to pass on her knowledge, despite the fact she was no expert due to land creatures not being her field.

There were a lot of WTF moments, I saw stuff I had no idea existed. it dawned on me then how amazing this planet must be if there are so many creatures people still have no idea about. I would love to be able to show pics of what I saw, but unfortunately I didn't have permission to take photo's of those specimens, and I did not want to risk not being able to return one day for more research.

It was certainly quite a macabre scene, I imagine it would have upset some people to bare witness to it.. I adore nature and understand the quest to understand it is vital to our existance and the animals that survive today. As a result, I have no problem with it. Although I will admit to feeling queasy at times.

We finally came to the doors of the Tank Room. I looked above and noticed an odd looking rail that ran beyond the door. I naturally wondered what that was for, so asked. Carmen replied, "you'll see.." she pressed her finger upon the touch pad and the doors swooshed open. I was immediately struck with a revolting stench of chemicals merged with what can only cleanly decribed as a fishy smell :  /. I looked around the room in peering into the jars in astonishment as I stood at the door, not having moved one inch.

At the end of the room there was a very large tank with the Giant Squid inside, I was taken back by it's sheer size. I walked towards it and around it in wonder of it... It was like that scene in Aliens when they come across the face huggers in those specimen jars lol.  I told her it was bigger than I thought, Carmen told be that was actually a juvenile and that a fully grown adult could grow to be three times that size!. She said the rail on the ceiling was how they moved the Giant Squid specimen into the room because it was the only way.

In the centre of the room were a series of large metal tanks, she lifted the lid off one and I immediately realized the source of the terrible smell. The fluid inside was deep brown and murky looking. I couldn't see anything in there myself,  while I peered in covering my mouth and nose. My nose caught the terrible whiff despite my attempts, my gag reflex was tickling my throat and I was about to throw.. She told me to stand back forcefully, I did so happily.

Carmen then walked over to a nearby drawer and snapped some some gloves on while staring at me. Carmen walked over and reached into the tank and grabbed onto something, something I could not see. With both hands she lifted out this huge fish, If you can call it that. She told me it was a newly found specimen of a prehistoric fish thought to be extinct some years ago. It was a fish called a "Coelacanth". Apparently it was in the tank because they had earlier been studying the specimen. She took me over to a PC and showed me images of why it was so special. It's internal anatomy was totally bizarre!. Bishop would have loved this shit!., it did not look like a fish at all inside. And I have cut open a few I can tell you.

She then opened a lid of  another tank and showed me a "Angler fish". the fish made famous by Pixar's Finding Nemo. It still had it's dangly bit still intact. It looked as evil as any creature could be in my mind, with it's grotesque over-sized mouth and long spiny teeth. She opened another, and lifted out what looked like a monster, she asked me to guess what it was, I laughed an naturally replied, I have no idea!. She told me it was a dismembered Penis of a Minke whale, lol.

Carmen then brought me over to a shelf which had a numerous cylindrical jars lined up and said, this is a "Oarfish." What's a Oarfish I replied?. "The Oarfish sir, is the longest bony fish in the world!", she replied.  I then asked how it could possibly be the longest fish in the world when it looked so small?. Carmen told me every jar on the shelf had the cut up segments of the specimen inside. If that was the case the specimen in question must have been nearly ten meters long : /. She allowed me to take one sneaky pic of that but old me not to tell anyone, or she would have to drown me in the tank if I did.

She then walked me over to a cabinet on the wall and pointed to a few smaller specimens. She told me that what I was looking at were in fact some of the very examples Sir Charles Darwin had brought back after one of his research missions. I thought that was kind cool to be able to see also.

The Giant Squid

Architeuthis
Architeuthis

No Caption Provided

Deadly mother suckers
Deadly mother suckers

Anyone for deep fried squid?
Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Awesome story. I envy your experience, I'm not usually one for museums but that place sounds really cool.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Endogene

Awesome story, thanks for sharing it with us. Heh i actually have the urge to visit museums now a sudden. Will be sure to go there if ever one day i visit London.

side note: the Coelacanth could be seen was in Endless ocean (off making a concept page i am)

edit:

Coelacanth
02/02/2009
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Linkyshinks
Endogene said:
"Awesome story, thanks for sharing it with us. Heh i actually have the urge to visit museums now a sudden. Will be sure to go there if ever one day i visit London.

side note: the Coelacanth could be seen was in Endless ocean (off making a concept page i am)

edit:
Coelacanth
02/02/2009
"

I had no idea they existed in the game, I should have known though. To be honest my tank in the game are pretty empty, I only really play to go diving while listening to music. I find that relaxing. On that basis alone I love the game.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Endogene

It was pretty hidden, you could find a small group of them in the abyss in one of the caves.

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By artofwar420

Wow, I'd love to go there sometime.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince

That thing looks creepy.

Pleasureizmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By Pleasureizmine

Nom nom nom

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By teh_destroyer

My first reaction to something like that would be to apply an explosive device and kill it  >_>

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Linkyshinks

@teh destroyer

Well that makes sense with you being the destroyer and all, but it is already dead :S

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By teh_destroyer
Linkyshinks said:
"@teh destroyer

Well that makes sense with you being the destroyer and all, but it is already dead :S

"

I would do it again just to make sure >_>
brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By brukaoru

Creepy... These should be in a horror game or movie, would freak people out for sure!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Linkyshinks

brukaoru
said:
"Creepy... These should be in a horror game or movie, would freak people out for sure!"

It has Bruk...

The Kraken!

I hope one features in Monster Hunter 3 also.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By brukaoru

Oh, I have yet to see Pirates 2 and 3. I don't think it would be that creepy though because those aren't horror films. :P

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Linkyshinks

True, it is a Disney film :P

There have been older films dedicated to the creature, but I could not find any videos.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RetroIce4

How did you not shit bricks when you saw that thing? It looks disgusting. All I would think is, What if that thing got me...? Uh-Oh!

Stanford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Stanford

Intresting

Avatar image for equal_opportunity_destroyer497
Equal_Opportunity_Destroyer497

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Sounds like a fascinating experience. I'd love to see (not smell) some stuff like that.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Player1

FUCKING AWESOME!

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By clubsandwich

It looks awesome.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks

Giant Squid sighted!, Bruk.

No Caption Provided

I have that prayer pouch  :D

No Caption Provided

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Al3xand3r

That, is an octopus!

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Linkyshinks
Al3xand3r said:
"That, is an octopus!"

Yea, you could be right, lol. It does look like it. But, I should inform you that Giant Squids are actually that colour, but when landed they lose their pigment fast. It was a easy mistaka -to-maka

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By brukaoru

I can see why you need that prayer bag! I would be praying too, hoping that thing doesn't get me!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Snail

DUUUUDE!

You take too many fucking pictures!

I bet your grandma bought you a camera when you were three, and ever since you figured out that by pressing a button people would be trapped in paper, you never stopped taking pictures. Yeah, it was a tough moment when you were told that they weren't actually trapped in the paper. You cried and said:
 "That's a lie! *sob* YES THEY DO!".
"You took a picture of me son, and I'm still standing here."
"Well, it's... it's a clone!"
"No, son. There is no such thing." *dramatic hug*
But you had already got in the habit of taking pictures, and ever since, you never stopped. Sometimes, you forget about that moment, and think that you have a spitfire, a snowman, a DSi and a Kraken trapped in paper, or in a computer, whatever.

And that is the sad, sad story of Linkyshinks.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Linkyshinks

Photography plays an important role in my research work, that's the true true story of Linkyshinks

Besides, this thread would be pretty fucking aimless without any pics lol. if I had posted the story alone the first reply would be - Pics?

Giant Squid sighted!

No Caption Provided

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Snail
Linkyshinks said:
"Photography plays an important role in my research work, that's the true true story of Linkyshinks"
You had to go and destroy a dream.
McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#28  Edited By McQuinn

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHH ahahah AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!  To be perfectly honest, giant squids are my biggest fear along with deep sea worms.

queenulhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By queenulhu
@McQuinn:  i used to be afraid of getting eaten by anything with 8 legs & a watery home.... but i tried eating squid/octopus to get over it.  it worked & i often eat both at sushi restaurants [especially baby octopus!! i love it when their brains explode.... n_n;].  WHO'S EATING WHO NOW MOTHERFUCKER?!??!
Goly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Goly

wow, could be a real life version of cthulluh.

McQuinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#31  Edited By McQuinn
@skywave: I don't care about regular squids.  They're weird and stuff, but what ever.  I've eaten squid before.  It's the freakin giant ones that freak me out.  Their pupils are larger than dinner plates.  Thats ugh ewww ugh. gross.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Linkyshinks: You should write a novel =P Parts of the blog felt a lot like one haha, I enjoyed it.

Also this Carmen chick sounds hot, was she?! I half expected for this novelblog to end in a sexual encounter hahaha.

On a more serious note, this was a great read =D That stuff is so extremely interesting, but so gross at the same time. Its a weird feeling wanting to know more, but not wanting to know at all. I am really interested how an artsy job would involve you going to a place like that haha.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Xeiphyer said:

" @Linkyshinks: You should write a novel =P Parts of the blog felt a lot like one haha, I enjoyed it.  Also this Carmen chick sounds hot, was she?! I half expected for this novelblog to end in a sexual encounter hahaha.  On a more serious note, this was a great read =D That stuff is so extremely interesting, but so gross at the same time. Its a weird feeling wanting to know more, but not wanting to know at all. I am really interested how an artsy job would involve you going to a place like that haha. "

She looks nice, but she's not "hot", she's typically Spanish in appearance - black hair and dark eyes. I'm actually friends with another who is, very hot lol  http://www.facebook.com/people/Estrella-Navarro-Holm/100000130123777
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#34  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Linkyshinks: Can't see a damn thing on that profile haha.
Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Scooper

I missed this blog the first time but damn, that was a really interesting read. I managed to get caught up in Wiki thanks to those links, too.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Capum15

Wow, that's awesome. Though anything (Squid, Octopus, Bear, Spider, Serpent, whatever)  with "Giant" in the name usually makes me move toward the high-powered weaponry like Teh_D.

About that Coelacanth, it reminds me of the Relicanth from Pokemon >.>

Maybe that's where Reli got it's name. Looks similar.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Scooper:  

Thanks, it was an interesting couple of days. 

@Capum15:  

It would seem so..I had no idea such a character existed, it's really quite odd because as a species it's practically unknown.

No Caption Provided
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Daryl

Man,  does anyone else get that horrible tingling feeling after seeing them suckers?

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheHT

pretty wicked. imagine seeing a big red one 3 times as big while oing for a dive? that'll scar you for life, provided you live.

ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ahriman22

Oh my god. What I would give to eat that thing.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#41  Edited By Nasar7

Oh museums. Of course all the really cool stuff is not available to the public!

matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#42  Edited By matthew

This stuff fascinates me, but creeps me out nonetheless.   

1:30 is when you start seeing stuff.  2:30 is when you see something that keeps me out of the ocean, brief and choppy as the view may be. 

@Linkyshinks: Great stuff man!  Consider yourself lucky to be taken to a place with such history and wonders!