NorthernFredz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By NorthernFredz

Hello Giant Bomb community!

I'm looking to get back into PC gaming after a console hiatus of a few years and need your opinion/experience to help me decide what mouse and keyboard arrangement is any good. I'm not looking to go overboard and spend my entire PC budget on them but at the same time would like something that is better than the average set. I've been looking at reviews online for mice but they all seem to be from 2006-2007. Surely these can not still be the best mice around. 

So I have turned to you in my time of need Giant Bomb. I'm aware that there is a large console community on this site, so this might fall on deaf ears, but if any of you have any insight please share it. Post any links or anything that you think might be useful.

Thanks in advance.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By gosukiller

In the keyboard department I've been using a Logitech G15, the original version. There are 2 versions out at the moment, both with a handy lcd screen, but the new one is more advanced and has orange lights instead of blue, if you're into stuff like that. It's a very good keyboard and the key-lights give you the bling bling / see in the dark for nightly gaming. 

If you're looking for a good mouse then you can't go wrong with a Logitech G5 or a G500. I've used both and they got an excellent grip and on-the-fly adjustable sensitivity.  You can also adjust the weight, if you want a heavy mouse of a light one.

Mind you that I've got a narrow experience with only logitech products, Razer also specializes in gaming keyboards/mice and my friends speak highly of this brand as well. Hope you get any usefull info out of this.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Castro

I would also like to recommend Logitech keyboards. I have the LX 710 (That's what it says on the bottom anyway) and it's lasted me a good long while. Unfortunately, I spilled PBR on it a few nights ago and now many of the keys on the right side stick occasionally when pressed. If I weren't unemployed, I would certainly pick up the G15 or the G19. Kinda pricy though. Their mice have always treated me well so I might recommend those too. I'm just using the one with came with the aforementioned LX 710 in the bundle. 

I have two roommates who got the Razer Death Adder mice at PAX '08 and they are pretty nice as well. One of them is looking at getting a Razer keyboard to replace the relic that he's currently using. Doing research at Amazon, he's heard lots of scuttlebutt that they aren't of the same quality as the mice (they arrive broken, the keys fall off, etc.) 

Personally, I would recommend actually going to Best Buy or Fry's or wherever you go to check that kind of stuff out and testing some out for yourself. You can get something super-flashy but if it doesn't feel good to use it might get on your nerves after a while. A particular friend of mine has a keyboard where you have to mash the keys hard to get them to register where my Logitech is like tapping on butter. 

As for the mouse, if you don't go with the Logitech, you might want to check this out.

Also, Broken Sword is awesome.

Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Hamz

Might I support the suggestion of a Logitech G5 mouse, it truly is a great piece of hardware with a decent grip and feel as well as plenty of adjustable options regarding 'on-the-fly' sensitivity options and physical weights to make the mouse heavier or lighter depending on preference. Has two extra thumb buttons as well which come in handy.

As for a keyboard I've always considered a basic Microsoft (or other cheap model) one as the ideal choice. Never been the sort to pay ludicrous amounts of money for a keyboard myself, especially when in the bigger picture the mouse is what is more important, not the keyboard.

NorthernFredz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NorthernFredz

I like the look of the Logitech keyboards a lot but not really sold on their mice. I have been checking out the Razer DeathAdder mouse and it looks really nice. I'll check out the G5 though Gosukiller/Hamz. That G15 keyboard you suggested Gosukiller scared the shit out of me at first but I am coming round to liking it a bit more. I'll definetly check out the different things you have suggested, even if it involves reading pages of text on why Castro's OOMouse is so good for everything.

Castro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Castro

I just think that the OpenOffice mouse is hilarious because of the ridiculous number of buttons. It was more of a joke than anything. I do think it would be insanely useful for WoW though. You wouldn't even need a keyboard!

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By stonyman65

I've always enjoyed Saitek stuff, like their eclipse II keyboards that have a backlight - really helpful if you game in a dark room.  They also have new ones like the cyborg that are pretty cool.

as for mouses... Razer.   Copperhead or diamondback.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ArchScabby

How about a Mouse and Catboard?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
NorthernFredz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NorthernFredz

ArchScabby this is a serious forum post. Don't come on here and suggest a real mouse and a catboard- it would only work for like 5 minutes and then I'd turn my back and my catboard would have eaten my mouse : ). How is that a good idea? 

Checked out the Logitech G5 and it looks really good. I really like how you can change the weight of it but a few of the reviews say it's scroll wheel and thumb buttons are a bit dodgy. Think the best thing to do is to try the DeathAdder and the G5 and see which feels better. I live in England and there really isn't much like a Fry's where you can go in a try the different mice and keyboards. I'll find somewhere though.

Like the look of Saitek Eclipse II keyboard Stonyman. It doesn't look as serious as the G15 but still lit up but smaller in size. I guess the same goes for the keyboards as the mice- try to decide.

Good to have an idea of what to look for when I go in so thanks guys and if you find anything else let me know.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ArchScabby
@NorthernFredz: Well anyways,  I use This Mouse.  Worked pretty good for me so far, but since my computer is a laptop I can't really suggest a keyboard.
HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Well I can think of several mouses you should consider.  

razer death adder, this one has 3500 dpi that's a remake of their other mouse that was considered the best before

steel series ikari lazer gaming mouse, it's comfortable if you have long fingers like I do, your index and middle finger rest on the mouse quite well and the sides are for your thumb and pinky fingers. It rest on there quit well and stuff, however the design might affect the accuracy

Also the logitec G9 is good, however over time the extra plastic grip may wear out , sure it looks funny, however it's accurate  

For a keyboard, I use a steal merc or similar keyboard. On the left, there are the wsad keys which are bigger and stuff which helps with gaming once you get used to it. Sure there are other razor keyboards, however they are sort of loud when you type anything. Also just find a normal keyboard you think looks confortable to you. For the merc, i'm just speaking from experience, I found this keyboard to be useful, however you might not.  

Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Tireyo
@ArchScabby said:
" How about a Mouse and Catboard?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
"
Shucks, you beat me to it. = - P I was going to post a pic of a mouse. Oh well.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By iam3green

i think u should look into getting a logitech one. i have a mx518, i like it a lot. it has a good grip and has a couple different buttons.