My Top 10 Nostalgic/Best Cartoon theme songs.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By ravensword

Ok, So Ive been watching alot of Nostalgia Critic lately, so I decided to make a top 10 list of my most Nostalgic/best cartoon theme songs. Cartoons play a big part on my childhood, and I still watch them today. But im mainly focusing on stuff during my childhood, rather than modern stuff like Spongebob, although thats a very memorable theme song also. So, here it is. Keep in mind, your list might differ from mine, and im going to say right now that quit a few of mine have been mentioned on the Nostalgia critics top 10 Nostalgic theme songs:

10. The Freakazoid Theme: This song was stupid, catchy and all around fun. It involved barbers named floyd, and a Chimpanze that would always show up randomly. It was also upbeat and cool.

9. Sonic SATAM theme: now, in case your confused, there were two Sonic cartoons in the early 90s, riding the wave of Sonic on Genesis. One was a more comical, looney toons esc show entitled the Adventures of Sonic the Headgehog, while the other, entitled by fans as Sonic SATAM, really was one of the better Cartoons based on a viceo game. The show was dark, had some good writing, interesting characters, and had robotnik be a menacing villain for once. He actually took over the world too. The song itself was this Catchy, almost rock kinda theme with some great lyrics "blue streak, speed by... Sonic the Headgehog."   " too fast, for the naked eye, Sonic the Headgehog. "

8. Ducktales theme: Honestly, this should have been higher on this list. This song WILL NOT LEAVE YOUR FUCKING BRAIN! I havent seen this show in like 12 years or more, and I still know the damn lyrics. plus, youll always be waiting for hte WOOHOO during the song.

7. Rock the Dragon;Dragon ball Z: this song made you pumped! it was nothing but guitar solos, a series of fight scenes, power ups, and big ass dragons. and Explosions too. it made you wanna get out of the house, go pump some iron, join a Dojo, punch people in the stomach, all while having rediculous hair and yelling alot.

6. Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles theme: in case you didnt know, TMNT was shit hot back in the late 80s. it was everywhere; toys, T-shirts, and even a cartoon that is revered by many. and it made one kick ass theme song.

5. Animaniacs theme/Pinky and the brain theme: I included these two together because, technically, there from the same show. Now, if you would ask me to choose between these two, I really couldnt. Animaniacs theme has some of the funniest writing for a kids theme, while I will dare you to find a single person that has watched the pinky and the brain theme atlest one time, and they cannot hum the theme from memory just off of that. The themes really were genius. plus, all teh otehr great music in the show. They even had songs that made learning Geography, State capitals and Presidents interesting and fun.

4. Sailor Moon theme (ENGLISH VERSION): Now, now, before you question my manhood. I am a guy. I like guy things. But I will be a damn liar if I said this song hasnt stuck in my head after all these years. and its not that bad. The vocals are kinda nice, and its catchy. I almost dare anyone that knows anything about Anime and claims so to not atleast have heard this song once.

3. GI Joe theme: as a kid, I was half convinced that this was Americas theme song. It was catchy, epic, and was all around great.

2. Digimon theme: Note, this is the first digimon theme, I have to specify this because IMO this was one of the only GOOD digimon and they made like 15 other digimon shows after this. this is the original. this song had a cool Technoey kinda rock sound to it. also, the song didnt have many pyrics to it. It was a repeat of Digimon Digimon Digital monsters and Digivolve into champions.... Digivolve into ultimate and it would kidna than repeat. I know there more to the song than that, but thats pretty much it. But what made it so great was the way it was arranged and that it was catchy as all hell, which is a common theme with the songs on this list, and IMO is a staple to a great theme song: staying power.

and the number 1 is, and this will probaly not be a surprise to some:

1. The Pokemon theme: Good. Lord. If there was ever a song youd remember. this is probaly THE most well known song out of anybody that grew up in the 90s watching cartoons or even had any know how of Pop culture at the time. I even believe this song is just as much a part of Pokemon as the game itself. Hell, I would bet that even if youve never played the games, or even seen the cartoon, you know the words to this freaking song. You know it, your friends know it, your friends friends know it, and most likely your Parents know it. It was catchy as all hell, the episodes had other songs in them (who can forget the Poke'Rap.) This is the kinda song you can start abruptly singing in the car, and your friends will more than likely know the lyrics and join in. People actually bought CDs of the music in pokemon, including me when i was a kid. The songs were pretty damn good and catchy. Say what you will about the actual show itself if you go back and watch it today (honestly, its not that great when you go back to watch it as a adult,), but you cannot deny the pop culture kid Phenomenom this show was. 

Some honorable Mentions Include the Beetlejuice Cartoon theme (this was very very close to being on teh list, and if I extened it to 11, this might be the one that would be number 11. I loved it because it was bat shit crazy and was actual composed by Danny Elfmen, which you could tell just by listening to it. Just a buch of la la las, and it really gave off a tim Burton kinda vibe), Xmen theme, thudnercats theme, Power Rangers theme (not a cartoon, but still great), Gargoyles theme, Chip and Dales rescue rangers,  and honestly alot of others.

I really recommend that you look these songs up on youtube if you never have heard them before. Im sure theres some you know, but for the ones you dont, please please go listen to them.

Note, Ill probaly touch it up and maybe add some more detail tomorrow, right now its like midnight, and im tired. Hell, I might even change some of my selections. but right now, this is what I got off the top of my head.    
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ravensword

Ok, So Ive been watching alot of Nostalgia Critic lately, so I decided to make a top 10 list of my most Nostalgic/best cartoon theme songs. Cartoons play a big part on my childhood, and I still watch them today. But im mainly focusing on stuff during my childhood, rather than modern stuff like Spongebob, although thats a very memorable theme song also. So, here it is. Keep in mind, your list might differ from mine, and im going to say right now that quit a few of mine have been mentioned on the Nostalgia critics top 10 Nostalgic theme songs:

10. The Freakazoid Theme: This song was stupid, catchy and all around fun. It involved barbers named floyd, and a Chimpanze that would always show up randomly. It was also upbeat and cool.

9. Sonic SATAM theme: now, in case your confused, there were two Sonic cartoons in the early 90s, riding the wave of Sonic on Genesis. One was a more comical, looney toons esc show entitled the Adventures of Sonic the Headgehog, while the other, entitled by fans as Sonic SATAM, really was one of the better Cartoons based on a viceo game. The show was dark, had some good writing, interesting characters, and had robotnik be a menacing villain for once. He actually took over the world too. The song itself was this Catchy, almost rock kinda theme with some great lyrics "blue streak, speed by... Sonic the Headgehog."   " too fast, for the naked eye, Sonic the Headgehog. "

8. Ducktales theme: Honestly, this should have been higher on this list. This song WILL NOT LEAVE YOUR FUCKING BRAIN! I havent seen this show in like 12 years or more, and I still know the damn lyrics. plus, youll always be waiting for hte WOOHOO during the song.

7. Rock the Dragon;Dragon ball Z: this song made you pumped! it was nothing but guitar solos, a series of fight scenes, power ups, and big ass dragons. and Explosions too. it made you wanna get out of the house, go pump some iron, join a Dojo, punch people in the stomach, all while having rediculous hair and yelling alot.

6. Teenage Mutant Ninja turtles theme: in case you didnt know, TMNT was shit hot back in the late 80s. it was everywhere; toys, T-shirts, and even a cartoon that is revered by many. and it made one kick ass theme song.

5. Animaniacs theme/Pinky and the brain theme: I included these two together because, technically, there from the same show. Now, if you would ask me to choose between these two, I really couldnt. Animaniacs theme has some of the funniest writing for a kids theme, while I will dare you to find a single person that has watched the pinky and the brain theme atlest one time, and they cannot hum the theme from memory just off of that. The themes really were genius. plus, all teh otehr great music in the show. They even had songs that made learning Geography, State capitals and Presidents interesting and fun.

4. Sailor Moon theme (ENGLISH VERSION): Now, now, before you question my manhood. I am a guy. I like guy things. But I will be a damn liar if I said this song hasnt stuck in my head after all these years. and its not that bad. The vocals are kinda nice, and its catchy. I almost dare anyone that knows anything about Anime and claims so to not atleast have heard this song once.

3. GI Joe theme: as a kid, I was half convinced that this was Americas theme song. It was catchy, epic, and was all around great.

2. Digimon theme: Note, this is the first digimon theme, I have to specify this because IMO this was one of the only GOOD digimon and they made like 15 other digimon shows after this. this is the original. this song had a cool Technoey kinda rock sound to it. also, the song didnt have many pyrics to it. It was a repeat of Digimon Digimon Digital monsters and Digivolve into champions.... Digivolve into ultimate and it would kidna than repeat. I know there more to the song than that, but thats pretty much it. But what made it so great was the way it was arranged and that it was catchy as all hell, which is a common theme with the songs on this list, and IMO is a staple to a great theme song: staying power.

and the number 1 is, and this will probaly not be a surprise to some:

1. The Pokemon theme: Good. Lord. If there was ever a song youd remember. this is probaly THE most well known song out of anybody that grew up in the 90s watching cartoons or even had any know how of Pop culture at the time. I even believe this song is just as much a part of Pokemon as the game itself. Hell, I would bet that even if youve never played the games, or even seen the cartoon, you know the words to this freaking song. You know it, your friends know it, your friends friends know it, and most likely your Parents know it. It was catchy as all hell, the episodes had other songs in them (who can forget the Poke'Rap.) This is the kinda song you can start abruptly singing in the car, and your friends will more than likely know the lyrics and join in. People actually bought CDs of the music in pokemon, including me when i was a kid. The songs were pretty damn good and catchy. Say what you will about the actual show itself if you go back and watch it today (honestly, its not that great when you go back to watch it as a adult,), but you cannot deny the pop culture kid Phenomenom this show was. 

Some honorable Mentions Include the Beetlejuice Cartoon theme (this was very very close to being on teh list, and if I extened it to 11, this might be the one that would be number 11. I loved it because it was bat shit crazy and was actual composed by Danny Elfmen, which you could tell just by listening to it. Just a buch of la la las, and it really gave off a tim Burton kinda vibe), Xmen theme, thudnercats theme, Power Rangers theme (not a cartoon, but still great), Gargoyles theme, Chip and Dales rescue rangers,  and honestly alot of others.

I really recommend that you look these songs up on youtube if you never have heard them before. Im sure theres some you know, but for the ones you dont, please please go listen to them.

Note, Ill probaly touch it up and maybe add some more detail tomorrow, right now its like midnight, and im tired. Hell, I might even change some of my selections. but right now, this is what I got off the top of my head.    
Ryax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Ryax

oh jesus. i remember digimon. i was just wondering what happened to them the other day.  

all those themes are so classic

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By ryanwho

Ducktales beats all them animes sir. Also man, remembering Digimon and forgetting Thundercats, tsk. Also Rocko's Modern Life, Ren and Stimpy, Tiny Toons, Tail Spin, I could go on and on. That was back when Disney and Warner Bros were both trying to take over Saturday Morning. Some are probably only great cus your brain is a sponge at that point. Also now I have some fucking blaring dissonance in my brain while like 15 infectious cartoon themes play at the same time, gonna go slam my head on a wall brb.  

Mariek430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Mariek430

Everyone must hear this.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ravensword
@Mariek430:

lol, I love it.
bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By bonbolapti

I like the Sailor moon theme on it being so universal, and even better in heavy metal.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ravensword
@ryanwho:

It was a tough list for me to make. I might even Revise it later on. But what I was feeling when i wrote it is what I posted. I cannot deny that all those songs are classics, but honestly, to me personally, these are the songs that stick out to me the most. I originally had Ren adn Stimpy on the list, but I took it out because, while it was great, i thought that these were a bit better to me.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#8  Edited By Captain_Insano

Fuck yes to Ducktales and Pinky and the Brain

However I see your list and raise you with:

The song is about 1min in, and then partway through it has a voiceover ad for another show, but it was the best version I could find on youtube
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Captain_Insano

There are so many:

I will limit myself there for the time being
BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BraveToaster

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By tebbit

Sonic SATAM has the best theme song ever made. 

Also, your entire list has my approval, aside from G.I. Joe, which we didn't get in my country.

dopeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dopeman

im starting to see a disturbing trend.
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Marz

Gah i used to watch captain N all the time, i think fridays they had legend of zelda cartoon too.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By apathylad

Yeah, TMNT had a catchy theme. For whatever reason, I would laugh hysterically at the German dubbed version of the song. 

JohnnyAutoFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JohnnyAutoFire

Although this wasn't a cartoon, I think that this deserves an honorable mention: 

One of the greatest theme songs ever made.
TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By TheHT

90's spider-man, batman TAS, x-men are probably the ones i remember most. god that spider-man show was the shiz.

theDevilb0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By theDevilb0y

Some great shouts on here. G.I. Joe as America's theme song is one of the funniest things I've read all week.

Great to see Ducktails get a mention (if English currency wasn't so coin-oriented I wouldn't hesitate to Scrooge McDuck that shit when I got rich enough), but where's the love for Tailspin, Gummybears, The Racoons, Ulysese 31 and Jayce & The Wheeled Warriors?

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By tebbit

Oh, I almost forgot: 

It's not really a theme "song", but a theme tune. Nevertheless, it is still badass.
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By penguindust
@Raven_Sword:   

Good thread.  I'm always up for talking about cartoons.  I've been a cartoon fanatic since my youth and still they make up the majority of my viewing time.  Growing up, every Saturday morning from 6 AM to noon was spent in front of the TV watching cartoons.  Practically everyday after school was a mix of homework and cartoons.  Each morning as I dressed had cartoons playing in the background.  And, I never out grew them.  I fall asleep to Family Guy and Futurama and I wake to Phineas and Freb or Spungebob.  The theme songs to all these shows are more familiar to me than most pop and rock melodies.  Having said that I enjoyed your list and I can agree with some of your choices.  Each of us draw on where our focus was as children, so my list is going to be different then yours in a lot of areas.  I wonder how you feel about theme songs which are just music versus themes which have lyrics?  Do the ones with lyrics have greater impact on us over time or is a good orchestra theme compelling enough?  Because of this disparity, I've divided my list between the two formats.  Also, I am not including prime-time shows and even though my choices are listed with numbers they are not in any numerical order of quality.

My "Themes with Lyrics" list:  (These are my favorite themes but this doesn't mean that shows not appearing here are missing from my favorite cartoons shows lists) 
  1. Hong Kong Phooey  -  Some of my earliest memories are of grooving to this catching opening song.  I remember scatting along with the singer at the close with glee
  2. Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids -  It's all about the funk and this one is funky.  Listen to that bass riff. 
  3. Josie and the Pussy Cats -  This was a favorite show and I just loved the song.  It was one that you could catch me dancing to weekend mornings. 
  4. Speed Racer  -  From the opening trumpet run this song catches me and keeps me bopping along with it.  I love the sense of motion the tune creates.
  5. Galaxy High  -  A sometimes forgotten 80's classic.  The song is perfectly constructed and evokes memories of spandex and day-glow from that decade.
  6. Darkwing Duck  - Easily my favorite from the Disney Afternoon shows.  I wasn't sure if Ducktails was better but upon listening, I am certain I perfer DW.  It's more fun to sing. 
  7. Jem -  This is like the perfect 80s song.  It's synth-pop, upbeat with even a little electronic sidebar featuring the "Misfits".  I never watched too much of the TV show, but I would tune in on occasion just to listen to the opening title. 
  8. Sailor Moon  -  Okay, I was a giant Sailor Moon fan in the 80s-90s and this one etched its way into my brain.  I actually owned the cassette and CD for this series.
  9. Digimon  (season 1) -  I love the breaks in style throughout the song.  It feels like a bunch of separate songs sliced together over this electric beat.
  10. Rocko's Modern Life (original)  - This one is fun to groove to.  I like the original better than the B-52's version because it has a better tempo in my opinion.

My "Themes with no Lyrics but probably have voice-overs" list: 
  1. Fantastic Voyage - This theme song just sounds to mysterious to me.  The voice-over does the job okay, but the song itself is so cryptic that I can't help but be pulled into the show.
  2. Superfriends (original) -  Hopeful and unforgettable, this one was practically my own theme as a child.  It feels like a march to me and that adds to its a sense of momentum. 
  3. Robotech: Macross Saga -  This one is just really triumphant in style.  I can recall watching this every morning before school as I dressed. 
  4. Batman: The Animated Adventures -  This one has become synonymous as the official Batman theme in my opinion.  When I think of Batman, this is the song that plays in my head.
  5. Batman Beyond  -  This may be my all-time favorite theme song.  I don't know why, but this song appeals to me more than any other.  I just like the groove, but I wish it was longer.
  6. Ren & Stimpy Show  -  This one feels like it comes from another generation and that's why it's so perfect for the show.  Also, it's very jazzy which I love. 
  7. Voltron  -  Another triumphant song that works well for the show.  It evokes faith in the Voltron-force and their ability to protect the universe. 
  8. Jonny Quest (90s) -  While I like the original a lot, the 90s show arrangement that ran on cable is really the theme that sticks in my brain as the memorable one.  I love its sense of motion.  The original was more jazzy though so it's a tough call.  
  9. Gargoyles  -  Really a great theme that ranks among the best of action shows.  It even creates an impression of height as the melody builds upwards. 
  10. Battle of the Planets -  To put is plainly, this was my favorite show as a kid and it changed my viewing habits setting me on the path I still follow today. 

A special mention goes to two different songs for two different reasons.  The first is to Pokemon's closing "Poke-Rap" which is about as catchy a cartoon song as their is and it's fun to sing.  The second mention goes to 4Kids intro to "One Piece" which is both horrifying and mesmerizing.   Like a roadside accident, I just can turn away from it. 
raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By raiz265
@Apathylad said:
" Yeah, TMNT had a catchy theme. For whatever reason, I would laugh hysterically at the German dubbed version of the song. 

"

the german version > the original !
the green text in that video utter bullshit btw. 

but i never got why it was hero turtles instead of ninja turtles in germany...
turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By turbomonkey138
@dopeman said:

"  

im starting to see a disturbing trend. "
Swat cats was awesome :) me and my friend used to pretend yo be them on the jet climbing frame in the park ;)
Davvyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By Davvyk

Obviously everyone is entitled to their own opinion but...your wrong 

THIS is where its at 

Bigvic785

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bigvic785

Can't believe no one has posted this yet
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By MysteriousBob

I love how you misspell "Hedgehog" multiple times.

Digimon was the worst cartoon I've ever seen in my life. Honestly, nothing on Earth is as bad as Digimon was. I was forced to watch it at my child minders every school day. Horrible, horrible times. Thankfully, I can't even vaguely remember what the intro looked/sounded like.

I was going to disagree with your first choice but then I remembered that I actually owned a Pokemon CD. Yeah... I guess it did leave an impression. 

The Nostalgia Critic needs to die. Metaphorically that is, hes not THAT bad. He used to be good but then he just started reviewing shit just for the sake of it, regardless of whether or not he had any decent   jokes or things to say. I think he finally jumped the shark when he started talking to a damn MS paint ghost. Jesus. How old is his audience? I also find it ironic that he frequently pulls people up on their acting skills when he is flat out worst actor I've ever seen in my life. That "child voice" he does is the most annoying thing on Earth. Also he compared really stupid things. Like the two Sonic shows. He directly compared the two versions of Robotnik even though its perfectly god damn obvious that AOSTH was aimed at little kids. He's not the worst thing on the internet (not by a long shot) but he sure as hell isn't that great either.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By MysteriousBob
@Bigvic785 said:

"  

Can't believe no one has posted this yet "
Probably because it was a shit show. 

"Unregistered HyperCam 2". Yep, they're the standards of your typical DBZ fan.
RTSlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By RTSlord

i totally forgot about freakazoid, and who doesnt love the pokerap? one of my favorite songs is the dexter's lab song
MostlyHeadless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#27  Edited By MostlyHeadless

I can't believe this thread has gone this long with no mention of either: 

or:   

FOR SHAME!!!!! ;P
Valestis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By Valestis
@Axxol said:

"   

"
Yes!!! YESSSSS!!!!!!!
JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JJOR64
@Bigvic785 said:

"  

Oh god...

I'm probably the only guy here who prefers the Japanese opening over the English opening.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ravensword
@PenguinDust:

I really only know a few of those shows, which were from the 90s or are ones that were on TV channels in teh 90s, even though they came out in the 80s, like Voltron Johnny Quest.. I was born in 1989, So I wasnt really Exposed to 80s cartoons that much. Ive never seen jem, Ive seen Hong Kong Phooey, which I loved, but that was only because of Bommerang TV Channel. I loved the Batman Beyond theme, I loved Voltron and Johnny Quest and Gargoyles.
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ravensword
@JJOR64:

I like the original too, but I dont like it more. Rock the Dragon was just epic to me.
sarge1445

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By sarge1445
@JJOR64 said:

" @Bigvic785 said:

"  

Oh god...

I'm probably the only guy here who prefers the Japanese opening over the English opening.

"
you are but its ok to be a bad person
dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33  Edited By dbz1995

LIGHT SPEED GO!

NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By NinjaHunter

Sigh... I have to go listen to the pokemon song now. 

Edit: So you can all share my pain. 

OldGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By OldGuy
ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ravensword
@NinjaHunter:

oh snap, the Extended version.
Andheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#37  Edited By Andheez

Lots of good suggestions, Ill list a few i REALLY remember , as in can still sing large portions.
Ducktales
Hong Kong Phooey
TMNT
Thundercats
 Pinky & the Brain
Several other good ones but these really stand out for me.