NASA discovers Glycine in comet

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Druminator

Just spotted this article on my daily browse through science blogs. This is rather remarkable.

"Glycine is an amino acid used by living organisms to make proteins, and this is the first time an amino acid has been found in a comet ," said Dr. Jamie Elsila of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "Our discovery supports the theory that some of life's ingredients formed in space and were delivered to Earth long ago by meteorites and comet impacts."

"The discovery of glycine in a comet supports the idea that the fundamental building blocks of life are prevalent in space, and strengthens the argument that life in the universe may be common rather than rare," said Dr. Carl Pilcher, Director of the NASA Astrobiology Institute which co-funded the research.

More

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

The space zombies are almost here

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Hamst3r

I like this sort of news.

Also, mmm...amino acids.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By blair

This is brilliant and incredible, yet humbling.

I'm very much ready to start some interplanetary capitalism.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Xeiphyer

Awesome stuff, It only makes sense that some of the ingredients for life come from space, but where did those start from? Its all very interesting.  They also believe most if not all of the water on earth came from space way back when.

Of course, its much easier to say God did it =P

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6  Edited By Black_Rose
@Xeiphyer said:
" Of course, its much easier to say God did it =P "
Let's not go there >_>...

Awesome news though, NASA never ceases to impress me.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By c1337us

Awesome stuff.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By CL60

Nice. :O

Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow that's pretty awesome...

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus

A dead mosquito has all of the building blocks for life, and yet it's not alive... Cool discovery. Pointless, but cool.

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Xeiphyer
@Black_Rose said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
Let's not go there >_>...  Awesome news though, NASA never ceases to impress me. "
I agree haha. NASA Does impress, but man, the amount of funding they get is insane! Atleast we get cool spinoff research and inventions like comfy space beds and TANG (The drink of course, although I'm sure they hand their hand in TANG as well.)
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RsistncE
@Xeiphyer said:
" @Black_Rose said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
Let's not go there >_>...  Awesome news though, NASA never ceases to impress me. "
I agree haha. NASA Does impress, but man, the amount of funding they get is insane! Atleast we get cool spinoff research and inventions like comfy space beds and TANG (The drink of course, although I'm sure they hand their hand in TANG as well.) "
Actually they don't get nearly enough funding. The US government doesn't even give them enough funds to track all of the asteroids which are a possible threat to earth.
Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Xeiphyer
@RsistncE: Well duh!  Thats because if an asteroid is headed towards the earth, they just have to send Bruce Willis.  =)

I can't really complain being Canadian and all, but yeah I am aware of the asteroid deal. Did you know you are more likely to be killed by an asteroid then you are by lightning? Thats pretty silly :)
Zabant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Zabant

I hate to say it but being a serious astronomer myself, hearing people who know little more than the planets in our solar system make me wretch.

yes i know i'm elitist sue me,.

But when someone calls this discovery "pointless" i want to just puke...

There have been alot more pointless things humans have spent more money and more time on in our history.

blair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By blair
@Zabant said:
" I hate to say it but being a serious astronomer myself, hearing people who know little more than the planets in our solar system make me wretch.  yes i know i'm elitist sue me,. But when someone calls this discovery "pointless" i want to just puke...  There have been alot more pointless things humans have spent more money and more time on in our history. "
I was going to comment on that, but I decided against it, I'm glad someone did though.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16  Edited By Suicrat
@RsistncE said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
" @Black_Rose said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
I agree haha. NASA Does impress, but man, the amount of funding they get is insane! Atleast we get cool spinoff research and inventions like comfy space beds and TANG (The drink of course, although I'm sure they hand their hand in TANG as well.) "
Actually they don't get nearly enough funding. The US government doesn't even give them enough funds to track all of the asteroids which are a possible threat to earth. "
But they give them enough funding to make another manned mission to the moon?

NASA's funding, like all other government programs are based on political necessity more than scientific necessity.

However, that's not to say that the people who work for NASA aren't making important discoveries and contributions.

Anyways, it's kind of unrealistic to expect them to be able to track all the objects in space that are on a possible collision course with earth, since that number inevitably expands with further probing of space.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Osaladin

Whenever I hear Glycine I think Jurassic Park.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Suicrat
@Blair said:
" This is brilliant and incredible, yet humbling.  I'm very much ready to start some interplanetary capitalism. "
That won't happen. International Law prevents the delineation of private property in space.

That's not to say the whole of the Outer Space Treaty is flawed, just the part that makes all space-related endeavours state endeavours, whether they are carried out by private actors or state actors.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RsistncE
@Suicrat: They already know which ones to track. The problem is the government still hasn't provided them the funds with which to build the scopes necessary to visibly track them.
s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Interesting read! I too love this kind of stuff.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Suicrat

But like I said, they are giving them money to take men to the moon again, for... what purpose exactly?

This is where my cognitive dissidence (or is it dissonance? I always get 'em mixed up... but I think both work) comes in.

Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jared
@Suicrat said:

" @RsistncE said:

" @Xeiphyer said:
" @Black_Rose said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
Actually they don't get nearly enough funding. The US government doesn't even give them enough funds to track all of the asteroids which are a possible threat to earth. "
But they give them enough funding to make another manned mission to the moon?  NASA's funding, like all other government programs are based on political necessity more than scientific necessity.   However, that's not to say that the people who work for NASA aren't making important discoveries and contributions.  Anyways, it's kind of unrealistic to expect them to be able to track all the objects in space that are on a possible collision course with earth, since that number inevitably expands with further probing of space. "
Actually they are not giving them enough money to go to the Moon, right now NASA is pretty much in a fight to save it's Constellation program (with Ares I and Ares V). There are other options being laid out on the table by the White House panel, I believe they are down to seven option now , most of which include going back to the Moon. Now, the panel has said that NASA does not having enough money long term to go back to the Moon, they will need more funding over the next ten years.  Also, when it comes to tracking asteroids NASA tracks them only when they are large enough to threaten Earth, many asteroids will simply burn up in our atmosphere. NASA has done more for this country then other government programs will ever do, and to think they get less then 1% of the national annual budget!
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crunchUK
@RsistncE said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
" @Black_Rose said:
" @Xeiphyer said:
That's because there's no communism to run into the ground by outspending them
Jared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Jared
@Suicrat said:
" But like I said, they are giving them money to take men to the moon again, for... what purpose exactly?  This is where my cognitive dissidence (or is it dissonance? I always get 'em mixed up... but I think both work) comes in. "
There are many reasons for going back to the Moon. For one it's a test bed for manned missions Mars, to send humans to Mars it can take 6 months or more just to get there, while the Moon is just days away. Also, there is a Helium-3 on the Moon, it's a very rare resource on Earth and is being sought after for nuclear fusion research. There is also a possibility that water-ice from comet impacts exists on the moon, I think we all know how precious fresh water is and will become in the future. Finally, NASA is going back to the Moon simply to explore because that is what they do and that is what each and everyone of us has a desire to do as a human whether you know it or not. We can no longer inspire children to go into scientific and technological areas by showing them another Wal-Mart that opened up down the street, let NASA being that inspiration and maybe those kids will have something to shoot for after high school.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By eroticfishcake

"We found some meat on a comet! There's civilisation out there! Huzzah!"

That's what came to my head when I read this. Seriously, that's great news. Whether it's a bit of bacteria or some super sentient beings it's always nice to know there's some life out there.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26  Edited By JonathanMoore
@Br3adfan said:
" The space zombies are almost here "
They'll make your Dog a Zombie, leave only you and a single parent and eventually lead to your demise.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By RsistncE
@Jared: I guess they're not getting enough money for anything haha.
RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RsistncE
@crunchUK: Good point.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho

They havent even discovered life yet and they're debating whether its common or rare. Geez, act like a scientist for a second, this isnt theology.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Scooper

I love this sort of news. It's incredibly interesting to think of all the possabilities of what can or has happened in our universe.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By penguindust

The idea that life on Earth began when a comet containing the building blocks of life struck the face of the planet isn't a new one. 
Did Comets Contain Key Ingredients For Life On Earth?  - Science Daily
Evidence Of Liquid Water In Comets Reveals Possible Origin Of Life - Selected Science News
Pre-life Molecules Present In Comets - Innovations Reports
How comets may have 'seeded' life on Earth - Evolution Diary

I think it's an interesting theory, but I can't give it much more validity than any other theory at this time.

lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By lemon360

space poop from the District 9 aliens
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Suicrat
@Jared: NEVER let it be said that I am opposed to humans exploring the previously unexplored, seeking to understand the mysterious. This is a major part of what makes man what he is.

I'm just saying that if there is value to be had in space, the best thing to do is to privatize space exploration.

I think the men and women who work at NASA is so important and so valuable, that if we had free markets, there would not be a funding shortage. (As for meteor detection, there probably are good reasons to give the government the responsibility of funding it.

Having said that, I don't think the U.S. Federal government should just overnight privatize NASA. I think that like every other political process, the expansion of individual rights into the realm of space ought to be liberated gradually and prudently.
RollHard86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RollHard86

thats kick ass news,  i think its about 100% well find some kind of living thing somewhere...shit its on earth!  lol nice post.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Aliens!

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lowbrow

Sweet, so when the fuck do we get off this rock and into space?

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By iam3green

cool, i kind of think there is already life somewhere in space. there are people just like us who are saying the same thing.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By crunchUK
@Suicrat said:
" @Jared: NEVER let it be said that I am opposed to humans exploring the previously unexplored, seeking to understand the mysterious. This is a major part of what makes man what he is.  I'm just saying that if there is value to be had in space, the best thing to do is to privatize space exploration.  I think the men and women who work at NASA is so important and so valuable, that if we had free markets, there would not be a funding shortage. (As for meteor detection, there probably are good reasons to give the government the responsibility of funding it.  Having said that, I don't think the U.S. Federal government should just overnight privatize NASA. I think that like every other political process, the expansion of individual rights into the realm of space ought to be liberated gradually and prudently. "
there isnt value in space though
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Suicrat
@crunchUK: 
Are you freaking kidding me?!

SERIOUSLY?!

You don't actually believe that, do you?

Every element that exists on earth exists in larger quantities in the universe as a whole. Including metals. Do you know what that means? VAST mineral resources. Also, if we find inhabitable land, or improve terraforming technology, then never again will the fallacy "overpopulation" be uttered.
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By Snipzor
@Suicrat: Sorry, but that's an incredibly stupid idea.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Suicrat
@Snipzor: To make use of the boundless resources of the universe? Yeah. Really stupid idea.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c
deactivated-5a1a3d3c6820c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Snipzor said:
" @Suicrat: Sorry, but that's an incredibly stupid idea. "
I don't understand.. how can that possibly be a stupid idea?
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Snipzor
@Suicrat: To allow unregulated exploitation of the resources, which you have suggested above, hinting at it. Which is extremely stupid, very very stupid, Date Movie stupid. As if you completely ignored what start up ventures regarding extraction are known for. 

To quote Charlie Brooker, "It's not like the papers would lie to us on a daily fucking basis! OH NO!".
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Suicrat
@Snipzor: Yes, because governments are far better at managing resources. What's the U.S. government's federal deficit right now? 9 or 10 trillion?
Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Snipzor
@Suicrat: Yeah, it's not like they have to fix the mistakes of the dickheads controlling the economy by dishing out loans to people who can't pay. Oh wait, that wasn't their fault, that was the fault of the government for letting them do that... some...how. Not like NASA hasn't managed their funds masterfully despite how little they get. 

Don't even bother with that crappy excuse. The supposed free market haven of the world is diseased with socialist, know what I call that? 

Ironic use of Bullshit actually, which makes this ever so much better.
 Ironic use of Bullshit actually, which makes this ever so much better.
Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Suicrat

@Snipzor: If you think that any economic activity that happened anywhere in the world in the last century happened in a free market, then you need to examine the nature of the last 100 years of politics.