New foods you have been digging lately?

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By WickedCobra03

Any new, interesting, or strange foods you have been into lately?

I've been really digging caprese lately. I think I had it before, years ago, but didn't really know it was a thing.

Super simple and delicious.

No Caption Provided

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By nutter

Caprese is great.

I’ve always eaten a good variety of foods, so new is kinda a tall order...

I had oxtail for the first time a few years back. That was tasty. I also went out for Peruvian for the first time about a year ago. I have no idea what the names of the dishes we ate were (the Peruvian member of our party ordered for the table), but it was all delicious.

Edit: Thinking back tge Peruvian meal was a lot of seafood. I want to say some chicken and pork. The one thing that was definately new was the grilled beef heart. It was also delicious.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By TheFlamingo352

I actually made ratatouile a month ago, after me and some friends watched the movie. Turns out it's a super fun dish to make, and it fed like 6 of us for ~20 bucks. Not a bad deal at all, and it tasted pretty good too!

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Any fans of curries who've not had the chance to get Dosa should try and seek some out. Most of the curry places where I grew up were North Indian or Pakistani so I never really tried them but my partner wanted to seek them out after having them while working in Mumbai. We found a place near us, and now regret not seeking these out before. The two types we tried were a plain Dosa (a thin, crispy rice flour pancake) with loads of dips and sauces the other was a Masala Dosa, the same pancake but soft and wrapped around spicy potatoes like a burrito. Really good Indian fast food!

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@yojidority: Nice! Good work! We had a go ourselves and were fine with everything but the crispy dosas - we either just couldn't get the hobs hot enough or the were fighting with our deep frying pans. In fairness, it's one of the few things of good value to buy out in South London so we treat ourselves to a work free night every now and then.

eighte8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Caprese is amazing.

I started a sourdough culture a few weeks ago and am learning how to feed it. So far have made bread and pancakes.

Sourdough is bread as a service.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By monkeyking1969

I bought some middle eastern and Yemeni spices- have been using them on chicken dishes. I have Hawaij and Fenugreek Powder as a dry rub....I'm a little busy/little lazy; so I have just used them as rubs. Also,I have some Zhoug Paste with I have used in a chicken pasta dish I made up in my own head. I simmered the chicken on low with the Zhoug ,and then put that over 'bow-tie pasta or chickpeas. Fenugreek and Hawaij are just great for any curry...it like 90% of what is in most curry powders.

Zhoug: Salt, Dried Jalapeno Peppers, Garlic Puree, Cloves, Basil, Cardamom, Cumin,

Fenugreek: (also known as Methi Powder) is made from ground fenugreek seeds...Fenugreek is an herb.

Hawaij: Turmeric, Cumin, Black peppercorn, Cardamom

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My parents went to Dubai recently and brought back camels milk white chocolate dates with almond, they're very good, can't find a picture of the dates themselves but it's these.

No Caption Provided

Not a big fan of dates, but the chocolate covers them up very well, the chocolate itself doesn't taste camelly... camel-y... doesn't taste odd at all just very good white chocolate.

superjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

I ate an entire Caprese pizza last month!

There's a restaurant nearby called Eggslut whose trademark dish is The Slut (named after a French dish). It's potato puree topped with a poached egg in a small jar, to be dipped with baguette slices.

Also discovered Trader Joe's Spud Crunchies. They taste like frozen french fries.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not quite on topic here but my daughter has been asking me if we can make our own pizza for a couple week now... I've never done it before, any advice or tips or preferences when making your own?

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

Had chicken and waffles for the first time, and it was pretty good! I kinda live in an area where "unusual foods" means someone substitutes lettuce for a bun on a hamburger, so seeing it on a menu here, I had to jump on it before they stopped offering it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wickedcobra03: Nice, I've been eating that for years and never knew it had an actual name.

I've been eating a LOT of Focaccia with cheese & jalapenos lately (usually dip in olive oil), not exactly new but I can't get enough of the stuff.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sparky_buzzsaw: Chicken and waffles is amazing. It’s one of those things you wouldn’t expect to work, especially once buffalo sauce is in the mix, but it’s delicious.

Avatar image for not_a_bumblebee
not_a_bumblebee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Discovered a Nepalese restaurant located inside an international grocery store and holy crap is it good. The main thing are these spicy dumplings in a broth that are so freakin' good.

Avatar image for andrewtzianchan
AndrewTziAnChan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Recently started making lean doughs for bread. Making a lot of garlic bread made with coconut oil instead of butter.

Also recently, my family came by and I made pizza. The toppings I chose were mashed potatoes, bacon, and scallions, based off a pie I ate at Otto's Pizza in Portland, ME. Basically a baked potato. Made it again yesterday. Very nice combination.

patchryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish I had the gumption to try more new foods. Props to all who are consuming things like camel milk. You are heroes.

Similar to Andrew, I have also begun to enjoy making a variety of breads. Tortillas with one of those metal presses are quite fun and turn out DELICIOUS as long as you don't press too hard...like I did the other night.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

Turkey burgers

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

I tried Kombucha and it's not super terrible

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SethMode

I'm an American living in Korea, and have been for 6ish months or so, and the thing I liked the idea of but didn't love it in the versions of it I had in the states was Kimchi. Now I love it so much the lunch people just give me a pile of it everyday, AND I often eat it at dinner too. Radish, cabbage, even pancakes, any kind, it has all been delicious and has me hooked.

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

I'm an American living in Korea, and have been for 6ish months or so, and the thing I liked the idea of but didn't love it in the versions of it I had in the states was Kimchi. Now I love it so much the lunch people just give me a pile of it everyday, AND I often eat it at dinner too. Radish, cabbage, even pancakes, any kind, it has all been delicious and has me hooked.

I am an American who grew up around kimchi and never really liked it. I started to get into while I was living in Japan, of all places. Fortunately, after we moved back to the states, my wife made friends with many Koreans and they are constantly giving her kimchi. We like to fry it with thin pork slices in a pan and eat with rice. I can't say that I am that crazy about eating raw, though.

trinhhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotten into a steak tartare kick lately.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

as a 27 year old adult i have disliked avocados until a few months ago. Now i love eating (and making guac) and throwing a few slices on fresh avocado on sandwiches or salads.

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've gotten way into making ema datshi lately. It's sort of a Bhutanese stew made with chili peppers, cheese , garlic, onion and tomato. Traditional ingredients are basically impossible to come by where I am, but it works pretty good with jalapenos and monterey jack. Basically all the ingredients I need for it I already have for other things so it's super easy and convenient to make.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

I am an American who grew up around kimchi and never really liked it. I started to get into while I was living in Japan, of all places. Fortunately, after we moved back to the states, my wife made friends with many Koreans and they are constantly giving her kimchi. We like to fry it with thin pork slices in a pan and eat with rice. I can't say that I am that crazy about eating raw, though.

Oh man, sounds delicious! I personally go nuts for it raw as well, but I can understand why some wouldn't love it. When my contract here is over (which hopefully won't be for a while) I'm dreading returning to the US and just never being around any Kimchi again (although thankfully my family has mostly gravitated towards Philadelphia, which has a burgeoning Korean population).

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've been making dumplings for the first time. I made really good wontons which are actually surprisingly easy to do. I also made cast iron pizza with a no-knead dough which was another thing that was unexpectedly easy and fast (and delicious).

wardcleaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:
@wardcleaver said:
@sethmode said:

Oh man, sounds delicious! I personally go nuts for it raw as well, but I can understand why some wouldn't love it. When my contract here is over (which hopefully won't be for a while) I'm dreading returning to the US and just never being around any Kimchi again (although thankfully my family has mostly gravitated towards Philadelphia, which has a burgeoning Korean population).

I really do not think you would have a hard time finding Kimchi in the US, unless you way out in the sticks. FWIW, I live in NW Ohio, and outside of the home-made Kimchi my wife gets from her friends, there are a few Asian grocery stores in the area that sell it. Also, I do not think you will have any issues finding Kimchi in/near/around Philly. My brother lives just west of Philly in a small suburb and there are about 3-4 Asian markets within a 15-30 minute drive.

jppt1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not have tried new food in awhile. But fourteen years ago. thought I would not at all like Hibachi. Found the food delicious as tried it and got hooked.