New Kendrick Album

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

How are you guys liking the new Kendrick Lamar album, "To Pimp A Butterfly"?

Personally I think it's amazing after one listen through.

leejunfan83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Very Heady, Very artistic I like it.

waterfallsuite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Listened to it 3 times today. I'm not sure if it's telling a continuous story like GKMC was, but the overall flow of the album is incredible. The funk/jazz beats and tone of the rapping is completely insane and manic and so real sounding. I've actually fantasized about an album pulling from those genres just because it doesn't happen much anymore. It seems like a work that's completely 'his', it doesn't seem like it's catering to any type of fad or appeal to a wide audience. It appeals to people who like 'real rap' whatever the fuck that means anymore. I dunno I could be wrong about all that shit, all I know is it bangs.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was really excited when I woke up and got an email telling me my iTunes preorder was ready. When I first started listening to it I was unsure because it sounded so different to what I expected, but I'm now on my second listen and I love it.

I think it's brilliant that he decided to go in a completely different direction with this album when he could have just played it safe.

Kazzenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is really dense for a mainstream album, there's a lot of shit going on and I love it.

elbon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I click in here thinking this was going to be about a different Kendrick and a different kind of album, I am so disappointed in this thread and myself

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to get home, put on some cans and check it out. The response so far has been overwhelmingly positive.

Ford_Dent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too heard some of it on Jeff's Live Drive and was pretty impressed. Some intensely chill tracks on there. I'll give the full album a listen later--I'm looking forward to it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I think it's really well produced and a solid album but halfway through I still didn't hear a song that would really stick with me and make me want to rewind and listen again. It all flows naturally together.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still making my way through it. It doesn't seem to be as skit-heavy as the last album which I definitely appreciate. Really enjoying it so far.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By Danteveli

I'm happy that mainstream release that will be listened to by people has a sound and vibe like this. Listened to it only once and enjoyed it but sounds like people praise it like the Second Coming and that's a bit strange.

Oh It maybe me but I expected some heavy political stuff but from what I hear its post-breakup stuff. But maybe I'm just projecting my off stuff on it.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Any stand out songs in particular?

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pompouspizza

@honkalot: Wesley's theory, U and the blacker the berry are the stand out tracks for me.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Honkalot
meptron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

Why isn't it out in the Canadian Google Play store yet? Says "item isn't available in your country".

DeathByWaffle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I really love it, but I feel like it's going to be polarizing to mainstream listeners. It's very much a "art/statement" album, in the sense that he really had a specific sound and message that he wanted to get out there and he didn't care if that went against what people wanted to hear from him after GKMC.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was really excited to see this was out early and especially hyped to see it was already on Spotify by the time I read the news.

It seems like a really gloopy sticky album in a really great way. I am on my second listen as I type this and I am really impressed. I think the themes are a bit less obvious than GKMC so I will need more time with the lyrics but the beats are definitely there. Very impressed.

Oh and with regards to 'I' I was pleasantly surprised to hear what sounds like a live version? Really interesting that he went with that, knowing that people would have plenty heard the original version at this point. It doesn't feel out of place at all. Even if it's studio trickery (which I maybe expect to be the case with his speech in the middle)

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of it reminded me of early 90s Outkast.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By matatat

@paulmako said:

Oh and with regards to 'I' I was pleasantly surprised to hear what sounds like a live version? Really interesting that he went with that, knowing that people would have plenty heard the original version at this point. It doesn't feel out of place at all. Even if it's studio trickery (which I maybe expect to be the case with his speech in the middle)

I think it might be going in hand with his earlier lyrics from King Kunta talking about going on tour again to visit Compton. Especially since the guy at the start says hes been around the world and is back.

Follow up: After listening to more it seems like it's a theme throughout the album too.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I'm glad that I like the remixed version of 'i' on here, because whenever I heard it on the radio the horrible mix made me irrationally angry. Since Section.80 (he had several duds before then) it's been the only blemish on his career other than randomly turning up on mediocre pop songs Andre 3000 style.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I think Kendrick is awesome, I have high hopes for this album.

LongMasterWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@waterfallsuite: There is a solid concept that tells the story of Kendrick post GKMC. How he is dealing with fame and having to become a spokesperson/leader for those still in the streets.

The album is awesome:

• It has the first good Snoop verse in like 15 years.
  • Amazing production.
  • No bangers but it doesn't need it with the theme it's going for.
  • That last song when he is talking to Tupac and reads the poem that explains the albums title, outstanding.
Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need to give it another listen without distractions. First listen, it doesn't come close to GKMC. Good though. Nailed the vibe he was going for.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

I could probably do without a couple of the songs on the album, but I really like a handful of songs on there. I'm glad he isn't making another album that sounds like the last one.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, i need to cop this Asap.

TN04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TN04

I love section 80 and GKMC but I'm not in love with this one. I can understand why people like it but I really dont like the sound of it. Glad that there is someone like Kendrick who is able to take a risk like this. No one would be able to pull a successful alternative hip hop album and I respect that he wanted to go for a different sound but I just don't like it as much as Section 80 or GKMC. Hopefully, this will allow more diversity in the hip hop genre.

I feel as though some of the reception is overrating this album a little bit. Similar way to the way drake fans will kind of like everything that comes out of him no matter the quality. Probably wouldn't have gave a second chance had it come from someone else. Seems really well made and his lyrics and flow is great but I personally just dont like it sonically.

Then again, I didn't like GKMC first time round.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Album has a totally different vibe and tone to good kid, maad City. The well written lyrics and word play from Kendrick is still there but there probably hasn't been anything on the album that I've listened to that would probably catch on with radio stations. Other then that the album will probably still get the respect it deserved from hip hop fans and it's still a good album to listen to.

JayDee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

does anyone else get reminded of the bombcast theme from king kunta? or am i weird.

also this is a really good album

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@tn04 said:

I love section 80 and GKMC but I'm not in love with this one. I can understand why people like it but I really dont like the sound of it. Glad that there is someone like Kendrick who is able to take a risk like this. No one would be able to pull a successful alternative hip hop album and I respect that he wanted to go for a different sound but I just don't like it as much as Section 80 or GKMC. Hopefully, this will allow more diversity in the hip hop genre.

I feel as though some of the reception is overrating this album a little bit. Similar way to the way drake fans will kind of like everything that comes out of him no matter the quality. Probably wouldn't have gave a second chance had it come from someone else. Seems really well made and his lyrics and flow is great but I personally just dont like it sonically.

Then again, I didn't like GKMC first time round.

I tried giving it a few listens but similarly I just am not coming around to it at all. It definitely nails the vibe it's going for but almost to a fault where the entire album sounds very one note. There aren't any clear "bangers" or songs that you might want to pump on your car stereo a bit maybe with the exception of Black the Berry. Generally I found myself listening to it, song after song, waiting for the album to start in full force until it eventually ended in a slightly goofy way. Good Kid was a solid album that had a proper sprinkling of peaks and valleys - fast hard hitting songs to get you pumped as well as really well produced melodic pieces that were equally interesting to mellow out to. Butterfly seems a bit over produced, and over saturated with the art of it all. They say movie stars make movies on the basis of "one for me, one for them" so maybe this is the album Kendrick wanted to do for himself. That is great for him obviously since it's getting a lot of critical acclaim although a little much in my opinion as this isn't an earth shattering album by any means.

slyr114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By slyr114

Its really really good, easily one of my favorite albums out this year and within the past few years. However, I really didn't like GKMC that much and really have not spent much time with that one. Maybe I will give that one a few more listens too idk.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

I liked the album, wasn't nearly as engaging as his last but probably the best album I've listened to released this year, which has been light on albums I've been looking forward to.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love it, closest thing to a new outkast album I'll probably get

Cubecubed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm on my 4th listen, and I truly think it's the best hip hop album of the last decade, and a truly important album,period. Just brilliant, from beginning to end.

456nto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's something about this album that's very intense. Kendrick just seems to exude anger in a way that's honestly uncomfortable and I didn't find myself having nearly as much fun as I did with GKMC. That's the point of the whole album though, it's designed to unnerve you and question you. I think it's his best album and it's one of the most innovative hip hop albums I have heard in a very long time. The best way I can describe the album is that it's hard to digest.

Avatar image for japanesebuffalo
JapaneseBuffalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is my favorite album of his. The funk and jazz sounds great as he mixes them into his themes of dealing with fame and violence.

BrianP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless some crazy shit happens, this is definitely going to be my album of 2015. I can't remember the last time I listened to an album the whole way through and felt like I had experienced something important.

BoxxyBae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By BoxxyBae

Heard some of it on Jeff's Live Drive. Jeff said one of the tracks has crazy surround audio or something, curious to hear it in person.

Also he really likes crying.

What is this live drive you speak of??

Avatar image for counterclockwork87
Counterclockwork87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think its a classic album already, years from now people will mention it in the same breath as 36 chambers, ready to die, illmatic, nation of millions etc. No exaggeration.

j_unit2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

King Kunta is the bees' knees as is the whole album.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"u" is a terrible song. It's basically raps version of screamo. It's just whaling down a mic to noise in the background. Horrible. Besides that one track it's hit and miss.

Avatar image for little_socrates
Little_Socrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I feel horrible for the poor kid that D'Angelo put out Black Messiah just three months beforehand; both come from similar inspirations, and both wound up at a similar combination of jazz, funk, and hip-hop. I probably prefer Black Messiah, but only slightly. Each is one of the best albums ever recorded.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By laflux

It was really good. Its certainly grown on me as I've listened to it more.

Not sure if I like GKMC more actually. I feel that GKMC is more easy listening and linear, as well as being easier to grasp. TPAB is more rich, and more disjointed, but I like the intrumentals more, and is also alot more metophorical. I think TPAB is the more ambitious piece of work, and it speaks well of Kendrick that he hasn't appealed to sale's by having lots of big name features, as well as a "radio" single to go with it. Some may cite "I" as being that, but the album version is alot different and people were not as big on the single's version TBH.

Also rest in piece Tupac.