Opinions on Stargate series

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By gosukiller

I used to be a huge huge fan of SG-1, but I got really turned off by Atlantis.
Now, with the new Universe series I'm really ready to be captured once again by Stargate. 
How do people on giant bomb feel about the Stargate series? 

Xeiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Xeiphyer

Always wanted to get into it, but I don't have the time, and the series(es) are so long now that its prettymuch impossible.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

I really liked the film but the series are something I always want to see but forget.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

SG-1 is pure gold. That is, until after the first series finale when it was supposed to end. They brought it back, but it wasn't as good after that.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Willy105

The theme song is fantastic.

That is all.

I have been watching SGU since the beginning, but it's a really bad and boring show, and it's saved by the fact there is nothing else to see at the time the episodes get rerun.

Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Hot_Karl

It is a Fargate! 

jaferris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By jaferris

i watched the most of Stargate sg1 all the episodes of the last 3 seasons was pretty good , watched the odd couple of atlantis eps, and watched the first episode of Universe it was ok but dont have enough time atm to watch the other episode sky+ has the other episodes saved so can watch soon :)

brotherlu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By brotherlu

SG-1 was so-so honestly. i watched episodes here and there, after mr. macgyver left, it was lame. I actually really like Atlantis though. Was fun while it lasted.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By FreakAche

SG-1 seasons 1-8 are great. Season's 9 and 10 have a mix of high and low points, although the final episode, Unending, is amazing. Atlantis is decent, but it peaked at it's third season. I haven't seen enough of Universe to have much of an opinion. I saw the pilot and although I like the idea of making it into a character drama, I'm worried that the cast of characters that they've got, might not be strong enough to carry a show on its own.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By DocHaus

SG-1 and Atlantis were good at first, but eventually the writers ran out of original storylines and had to rehash old ones to justify their paycheck.

SG:Universe I managed to get about five episodes in, promising to be something like Battlestar Galactica, but instead they conveniently found some magic stones (can't remember their actual name) that allowed them to contact Earth in the first episode, which removed some of the "will they get home?" mystery. They just upped the drama (and not like "BS:G" drama, but "Beverly Hills 90210" drama) and downplayed the sci-fi and by the fifth episode I just stopped bothering to keep up. Say whatever you want about Star Trek: Voyager, but at least the crew there didn't have a magical plot device that let them talk to Captain Picard every episode, they had to figure things out on their own.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By Astras
@gosukiller:

Boring to be honest. The thing I liked about SG1 was that the story was mainly based on a reset after every episode. The stories were heavily based around a single episode and were not continued into the next episodes. I liked How stargate SG1was specific to a single episode or double part episodes with action peaking at the end of the episode and the situation basically finished up at the end. There was alsways a outline of what was happining with the gould etc.. but you could pick up an episode at any stage of a season and watch it quite happily.

Universe seems to be the latest Sci Fi to take a page out of Lost's book and have a continuous story that tries to hard to attatch you to characters. Every episode is continuous in story and tries to end with a twist which distorts the story.

They main story is based around the interactions between the crew and how they get on and don't get on. The characters are not unified and the main focus seems to be the power struggle between the civilian crew and the military crew. There is your standard love triangle and plenty of flashbacks to force the characters on you.

There is a gate on the ship but it rarely get's used (Three times) Many story lines are simelar to Atlantis, the fact that they are constantly discovering new ancient technology and using them. The characters have moved away from the Stargate hero steriotype and are much darker and have distict motives, which sounds great but takes away from the stargate feel.

I would like more episodes structured like classic stargate i.e:

• A problem arises
  • The team struggles and gets in serious trouble
  • A possible solution to the problem is found
  • On a knife edge the team manage to impliment the solution
  • Happy days
  • Next episode

I guess it's okay, i'm just getting sick of these heavy continuous story lines which stargate shouldn't be.. it should be more accessible, fun and interesting.
Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Azrail

^ THAT MAKES FOR A HORRIBLE A SHOW 

i have rarley heard someone say they pefer a  procedural type of show, there are already 50 million of them... 

and the shows is pretty good

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Astras
@Azrail: 
Have you even watched SG1, it is basically procedural but it mixes it up and if bloody good! What's better about following a cast of basically un interesting/stargate characters perform non stargate story lines and just piss each other off on a dingy little ship? 

It's like Voyager in reverse (They are going away from home) with nothing structured/interesting happening, with this long lost esque story line effort.
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By gearhead

I think Stargates kind of dumb...

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By Time_Lord

I dont like the way the ended SG1 and atlantis but univirse seems to be on the right track

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Astras
@Time_Lord: The last SG1 episode not counting the films was awesome, was one of my favourates in the entire franchise with the Asguard Time technology being used to stop Ori vessels destroying them but keeping them in stasis on the ship for 40 years. Was amazing!

Michael or Trip as he was known in Enterprise is single handedly responsible for Atantis failing in my opinion. The storyline basically killed Atlantis.
John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By John1912
SG-1 was a great series.  Atlantis was a little jarring, but I grew to like the cast.  Universe just fucking sucks.  Its painful to watch.  Why the fuck would I want to watch some kids on a space ship, use other ppls bodies to go home, visit family and go to a night club?!  Could you RUIN a more fantastic situation then being on a ship made by the most intelligent beings in the universe?
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By penguindust

It's really hard for me to stick with any show these days, but I really liked what I saw of SG:U.  You could tell they took a lot of inspiration from Sci-Fi's Battlestar Galactica series.  Very moody and no way to tell who's good or bad.  Very different from the original series. I didn't like Atlantis either, so I quit that one somewhere in the first season.  I wish I could say more but I have a wandering attention span and so most shows don't hold me for long.  Actually, these days I can barely sit through a movie, so it's not just TV or the quality of TV.  

Azrail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Azrail

i did watch sg1 gets boring after 2 seasons

EthanML

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EthanML

Robert Carlyle is probably the sole saving grace of Universe, but I still find myself watching it and kind of interested in what's going to happen for some reason. It's extremely slow paced but it could have potential yet.

So yeah, I'm hot for Robert Carlyle.

FreakAche

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FreakAche

@Astras
Are you implying that the films aren't good. Sure, I think we all would like to pretend Ark of Truth never happened, but Continuum was actually really good for a direct to DVD release.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

SG1=gold

Atlantis took some getting used to but I now like it

Universe=fail. They are trying to be battlestar galatica.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pinworm45

Ill do this by the season 

SG1 season 1 = mostly bad (keep in mind that I watched it relatively recently, where I've already basically seen all there is to see in Scifi, so the stories weren't interesting for me, they were 'by the numbers' even though they may have been original at the time), but the last 2 episodes were pretty good. After that It was pretty damn good. 
 Season 2 - 7 = good. 
Season 8 = excellent. 
last 2 season = pretty good. 

Atlantis season 1: Spectacular 
The rest of atlantis: Mediocre with a few decent episodes

SGU season 1: Abyssmal. Absolutely horrifyingly bad. I was in favor of a more serious Stargate and loved that this was the approach it was going to take because even though I appreciate the comedy of SG1 and atlantis a lot, I prefer a more serious tone. Not only was I wrong in that this doesn't really suit SG, this is just some of the most horrible, utterly stupid, pathetically bad excuses for writing I've ever seen. 
SGU season 1.5: I have to admit the last 2 episodes were improvements. I don't know if they decided to make some changes after the first 10 episodes, but whatever they're doing, it's mostly working. Now kill off about 4 of the shitty characters, think of some lame way to get better ones on the ship (I'll excuse bad writing if it allows this) and maybe we'll have a show on our hands. Barring that, at least keep doing what you did for the last 2, it's making the show tolerable.