Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Edited By Hamst3r

Depressed Orange Robot

Depressed Orange Robot is a character I originally drew back in high school. He was made pretty much for the sole purpose of making a t-shirt, which I wore a lot back then.

There’s a bit of fiction surrounding him and some other characters in his world, but the short version of it all is: Orange Robot is encased in fabric and stuffing, so he looks like a stuffed toy. He lives in a perpetual state of depression because it’s the only emotional state he was programmed to have. Even so, he has found that he enjoys eating sour oranges, even though they also make him sad because they are orange like him and orange is a depressing color.

Orange Robot’s only friend is a gelatinous lump that follows him around. Also; as far as he knows, his over-sized arms and hands serve no useful purpose, they’re just heavy.

So, here’s Orange Robot, living in his bland world, feeling sorry for himself. It’s OK to give him a hug if you feel like it. It won’t make him happy, but at least he can’t get any more depressed than he already is. :)

Download:

2560x1600

1920x1200

1280x800

New music

1. Everything Resolves, Eventually
[download MP3]

Went into chill out territory this time. Strings, pads, piano, horn and little percussive noises abound. At 5 1/2 minutes, this is the longest track I’ve written in a while. Just relax and drift away. :)

2. Deep-Fried Dropkick
[download MP3]

An upbeat hip hop and disco inspired track. Big synths, guitar, electric piano and organ fill this one out. It's kind of sparse because it's prepared for vocals.

Gaming

I played through Mirror's Edge on the PC a few weeks ago. It was a lot of fun. The running was natural feeling and pretty easy to do. The graphics and sound were also very nice. I'm still playing the time trial modes, though I'm only getting 3 star runs.

Currently I'm playing FEAR 2: Project Origin. I think I'm getting close to the end of it. It has some annoyances, but I'm liking it a lot so far. After FEAR 2 I plan on playing Trine or maybe some of these Telltale Adventure games I've been amassing. :P

I'm also playing Plants vs. Zombies, usually while listening to podcasts (Giant Bombcast, Invisible Walls, Epic Battle Cry) cause it's easy to do both at the same time. I'm not a big tower defense fan, but I'm liking this game. I have Defense Grid whenever I finish Plants vs. Zombies.

Movies and stuff

I never watch TV and I rarely watch movies. I've started using Hulu though to watch some nature documentaries and ended up watching a couple anime series as well: Death Note and Shikibane Hime (Corpse Princess). Both were good, though I think Death Note was more engaging and had a better style. I have Voltron cued up as well, cause well...it's Voltron.
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Hamst3r

Depressed Orange Robot

Depressed Orange Robot is a character I originally drew back in high school. He was made pretty much for the sole purpose of making a t-shirt, which I wore a lot back then.

There’s a bit of fiction surrounding him and some other characters in his world, but the short version of it all is: Orange Robot is encased in fabric and stuffing, so he looks like a stuffed toy. He lives in a perpetual state of depression because it’s the only emotional state he was programmed to have. Even so, he has found that he enjoys eating sour oranges, even though they also make him sad because they are orange like him and orange is a depressing color.

Orange Robot’s only friend is a gelatinous lump that follows him around. Also; as far as he knows, his over-sized arms and hands serve no useful purpose, they’re just heavy.

So, here’s Orange Robot, living in his bland world, feeling sorry for himself. It’s OK to give him a hug if you feel like it. It won’t make him happy, but at least he can’t get any more depressed than he already is. :)

Download:

2560x1600

1920x1200

1280x800

New music

1. Everything Resolves, Eventually
[download MP3]

Went into chill out territory this time. Strings, pads, piano, horn and little percussive noises abound. At 5 1/2 minutes, this is the longest track I’ve written in a while. Just relax and drift away. :)

2. Deep-Fried Dropkick
[download MP3]

An upbeat hip hop and disco inspired track. Big synths, guitar, electric piano and organ fill this one out. It's kind of sparse because it's prepared for vocals.

Gaming

I played through Mirror's Edge on the PC a few weeks ago. It was a lot of fun. The running was natural feeling and pretty easy to do. The graphics and sound were also very nice. I'm still playing the time trial modes, though I'm only getting 3 star runs.

Currently I'm playing FEAR 2: Project Origin. I think I'm getting close to the end of it. It has some annoyances, but I'm liking it a lot so far. After FEAR 2 I plan on playing Trine or maybe some of these Telltale Adventure games I've been amassing. :P

I'm also playing Plants vs. Zombies, usually while listening to podcasts (Giant Bombcast, Invisible Walls, Epic Battle Cry) cause it's easy to do both at the same time. I'm not a big tower defense fan, but I'm liking this game. I have Defense Grid whenever I finish Plants vs. Zombies.

Movies and stuff

I never watch TV and I rarely watch movies. I've started using Hulu though to watch some nature documentaries and ended up watching a couple anime series as well: Death Note and Shikibane Hime (Corpse Princess). Both were good, though I think Death Note was more engaging and had a better style. I have Voltron cued up as well, cause well...it's Voltron.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_A_Drain

Thst dude is just begging to have a little puzzle/platformer built around him.

Anyways, I usually hate Tower Defense style games, but Plants VS Zombies had me hooked and didnt let go for 2 weeks.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

That's an interesting world and universe that you have developed, lad. Amazing how the human kind can craft such unfathomable worlds by the results of boredom, over analyzing, and problems of the interior self or the exterior environment.

I wish I can draw my characters. But the only way of expression for me is typing words. But no one cares for that as much as actual visualization.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Akeldama

cool design. Could see him being in some upcoming indie darling 

Ginger_Avenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ginger_Avenger

The Orange Robot just speaks to me in some beautiful way, great design.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hamst3r

Thanks! Yeah, I think a game with him and some of the other characters I have would be pretty neat. I've thought about it a lot over the years and I have a lot of characters that could be used. :)

@Tru3_Blu3
said:

" That's an interesting world and universe that you have developed, lad. Amazing how the human kind can craft such unfathomable worlds by the results of boredom, over analyzing, and problems of the interior self or the exterior environment.I wish I can draw my characters. But the only way of expression for me is typing words. But no one cares for that as much as actual visualization. "
Thanks.  Yeah, writing is definitely under-appreciated. I do a fair share of writing too, but most of it is kept private as it's often quite obscure stuff. Mental diarrhea.  My primary medium is music. Music is like instant gratification compared to illustration and writing, which is probably why I don't draw that much anymore. :P
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By sweep  Moderator

i have big hands and feet, so I sympathise with your robot. Also I am Orange, sometimes...

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Wolverine
@Hamst3r: I lol'd reading about the Orange robot. DId you sell a lot of those shirts?
TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By TwoOneFive

orange is depressing because it doesnt rhyme. 

Sgt_T1bbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sgt_T1bbs

Thank you sir, I now have a new background for my PC=)

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11  Edited By Suicrat
@Ginger_Avenger: The robot looks neat and all, but where did you get this crazy notion that orange is a depressing colour? Orange kicks ass!

The only instance of orange depressing me that I can think of is when I see the NDP logo, and realize that they have co-opted the colour. Evil leftist bastards.
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By tekmojo

I'll take two.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By Bruce

Call the game "Emo Orange and his want to be an Apple".

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Sabata

That Orange Robot doesn't look like much of a robot if you ask me.  He's got plenty of orange, though. And plenty of depression, too.

Also, Ninja Mono is the only mode in Audiosurf as far as I'm concerned.
FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By FlipperDesert

I already have a sad robot (Aigis!) as my computer's wallpaper but that's a pretty nice drawing and backstory. Everything Resolves, Eventually is also going on my iPod. \o/

I wish I could draw well.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Jeffsekai

Thats awesome, good song and good art.

Could I get the wall paper in 1680 x 1050 ?

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hamst3r
Thanks! Glad you guys like it. :D

@Wolverine
said:
" @Hamst3r: I lol'd reading about the Orange robot. DId you sell a lot of those shirts? "
One to myself, that's it. :P

@Suicrat
said:
" @Ginger_Avenger: The robot looks neat and all, but where did you get this crazy notion that orange is a depressing colour? Orange kicks ass!"
Hell yeah it does! Orange is one of my favorite colors. My old logos used to be slate blue and orange, before I moved on to the solid gray scheme.

@Sabata said:
" That Orange Robot doesn't look like much of a robot if you ask me."

The robot is inside the toy doll exterior. He was put in the teddy bear-ish form to look friendly. :)

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sabata
@Hamst3r said:
@Sabata said:
" That Orange Robot doesn't look like much of a robot if you ask me."
The robot is inside the toy doll exterior. He was put in the teddy bear-ish form to look friendly. :) "
Ah, I see.  It all makes sense now; he's so depressed because he's living a lie.  Poor robot. :(
Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hamst3r
@Jeffsekai said:
" Thats awesome, good song and good art.Could I get the wall paper in 1680 x 1050 ? "
Thanks. Yup, here's 1680x1050.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By Jeffsekai
@Hamst3r said:
Thanks. Yup, here's 1680x1050. "
 Thank you sir :
No Caption Provided

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RetroIce4

Did you screenprint your shirts?

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Hamst3r
@RetroIce4 said:
" Did you screenprint your shirts? "
Back then I just used Cafe Press. :P  If I make shirts now though they'll be through a better place, like Split Reason or Jinx. They can make plushies too.