Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Warrozo

It's been a while..

For the last 9 months I've been working on the project Survival Horror game "Thanatophobia" with a small team. We just released a trailer showing a bit of the atmosphere along with some of the original music for the game by the awesome people at ShortRoundMusic, and we would really love some feedback from the GiantBomb community. It's been a busy month at Death Knell Games and we've been going through a teenage growth spurt since our last news update.

David Denton has just joined the team as our new concept artist. The super-talented David is currently hard at work creating the various beings that will inhabit the Thanatophobia game. Sculpting these works of art into life is our fantastic new 3D character modeller, Amber Damron.

We've also been receiving plenty of most welcome publicity. After some poking and prodding, the Death Knell Games team gave the first Thanatophobia interviews to Chris Priestman at Indie Game Magazine and Gareth Chadwick of The Sixth Axis.

You can all read these interviews at the following links:

Indie Game Magazine

Indiegamemag.com

The Sixth Axis

Thesixthaxis.com

That's all for now. Let us know what you think of the Thanatophobia teaser and stay tuned for future updates from Death Knell Games.

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Warrozo

It's been a while..

For the last 9 months I've been working on the project Survival Horror game "Thanatophobia" with a small team. We just released a trailer showing a bit of the atmosphere along with some of the original music for the game by the awesome people at ShortRoundMusic, and we would really love some feedback from the GiantBomb community. It's been a busy month at Death Knell Games and we've been going through a teenage growth spurt since our last news update.

David Denton has just joined the team as our new concept artist. The super-talented David is currently hard at work creating the various beings that will inhabit the Thanatophobia game. Sculpting these works of art into life is our fantastic new 3D character modeller, Amber Damron.

We've also been receiving plenty of most welcome publicity. After some poking and prodding, the Death Knell Games team gave the first Thanatophobia interviews to Chris Priestman at Indie Game Magazine and Gareth Chadwick of The Sixth Axis.

You can all read these interviews at the following links:

Indie Game Magazine

Indiegamemag.com

The Sixth Axis

Thesixthaxis.com

That's all for now. Let us know what you think of the Thanatophobia teaser and stay tuned for future updates from Death Knell Games.

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By JCTango

@Warrozo: Looks good! Love the opening music. The atmosphere definitely is pretty spooky. Keep us up to date!

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Deranged

@Warrozo: Wow awesome stuff!

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Warrozo

@mcderby4: Thank you :)

@JCTango: I'll be sure to post up information when I get it. Thank you!

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By destruktive
TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheHumanDove

Pretty cool man, but I felt like it paused a little too long on the guy standing there. I'm assuming thats gameplay footage. Anyways thats easily fixed, but looks quite good, congrats

roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By roborobb

Wow, it was actually slightly creepy! Much more atmospheric than anything I've seen of the latest Silent Hill, Downpour. Good job!

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Warrozo

@destruktive: Thank you so much! Any mention's of us anywhere really help us. Plus the moral boost is awesome :D

@TheHumanDove: Did the atmosphere come across OK though? Yep, that's in-game footage :)

@RoboRobb: That is an awesome complement! Thank you so much! :D

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheHumanDove

@Warrozo said:

@destruktive: Thank you so much! Any mention's of us anywhere really help us. Plus the moral boost is awesome :D

@TheHumanDove: Did the atmosphere come across OK though? Yep, that's in-game footage :)

@RoboRobb: That is an awesome complement! Thank you so much! :D

Yeah, you nailed the atmosphere.

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Warrozo

@TheHumanDove: Our art team will love that :D Thank you!

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By fini_fly

Looks good. What platforms will it be released on? Also, why no Giant Bomb page yet?

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Warrozo

@fini_fly: Only PC has been announced so far, we're a very small team and totally un-funded so porting will just take time away from make the game we want to make. However in the future we may look at other platforms!

As for the lack of a GB page, I thought they only liked released games :)

fini_fly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By fini_fly

@Warrozo: I didn't know there was a preference as to released games only, as I have seen plenty of upcoming games on the site. Oh well. Good job!

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By stryker1121

@Warrozo: Gives me an Eternal Darkness vibe, which is a good thing. Keep us updated and good luck to you and your team!

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Aetheldod

Im going to be the party pooper :( , problem is that you show way too litle of your game , I have to work from assumptions: is it like silent hill? does it play like Silent hill ... you get the idea. Music is good , but it was wasted because I saw so very litle from the game (Or by this time you could tell me oh no its a CG movie and I would think it is) Also too much black screen that could´ve been used to show more game footage.But the little that you show looks interesting but , not enough. .... the one last thing I think that the game title should be at the end ... but thats just me. Dont take this the wrong way tho .... :D just that dont be afraid to show more

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By zeforgotten

The trailer told me absolutely fuck-all about what's going on so that's a great trailer because now I have to find out just what the hell is going on and I need to play through it. 
That's a win to me at least! where do I sign and who do I give my money to?

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kindgineer

Very cool, and thanks for adding more than two lines of text so people aren't shouting MODS! :P

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By crusader8463

I watched the video before reading anything in your post to give it as much of a fair shot at being a trailer as possible, as up till I clicked on this thread and hit play I had never heard of this game before.

The trailer told me absolutely nothing about your game unless it's a standing in different rooms staring at walls simulator. As far as generating some kind of atmosphere it just looked like generic run down building. It gave me zero ideas as to what type of game it will be. Third person shooter? Action? Adventure game? As a trailer it's pretty terrible. If you didn't throw the generic scary music over the video, and I hadn't read the first line of your post saying it was a horror game, I would have had no idea it was supposed to have been horror or scary.

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Warrozo

@Aetheldod: No problem :) We've been slowly leaking information about the game over the past 9 months and that trailer was to just really show the in-game atmosphere. We don't believe in using pre-rendered CG effects to showcase a game, it gives it a false impression.

@crusader8463: We intentionally kept the trailer cryptic in an attempt to leave the viewer asking questions like your's.

The game will be in the same vein as the original Silent Hill's and Resident Evil's, before the Survival Horror genre became an action packed blood bath. We wanted to get back to the original puzzle based exploration game with an expansive underlying story, not to say there won't be combat, there is lots of combat. However our focus was not to make the game a shooter.

We love all feedback and personally I'm happy that you pointed those things out as it let's me explain things on here :)

If you want I can go into more detail of what we have already announced?

@ccampb89: Glad you liked it! Last thing I want to do is spam. Our site gets enough of that :|

@ZeForgotten: :) We have a lot of information out already. I can go over it with you all too.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By zeforgotten
@Warrozo: No need, if it's there I'll find it when it's not 3:45 am :P
Hot_Karl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hot_Karl

It looks and sounds very unsettling which is really the hallmark of all great survival-horror games. I'm interested in this one!

Phatmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 12

#22  Edited By Phatmac

So far so good, keep it up duder!

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Warrozo

@VinceNotVance: Thank you! We are really looking forward to releasing the game :)

@Phatmac: Thank you duder!

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By crusader8463

@Warrozo: That's all fine and dandy, but the point of a trailer is to drum up interest for your game, and to let people who care for that genre know about it. All I was able to take away from that trailer is that there is a guy who likes to stare at walls and occasionally the walls will have a light moving across it. Being cryptic is one thing, but not giving any clues as to what the game is about or how it will play/feel gives me zero motivation to want to seek out and find more information about the game. The fact that you had to type out that paragraph to explain to me what your game is about, and that I wasn't able to figure it out on my own just by watching the trailer, proves my point exactly.

Any who, that's just my two cents. Keep at it.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By Claude

Looks interesting, but as others have said, it seems to be too cryptic. It's a cool trailer, but it needs something at the end. Maybe flashes of gameplay or cryptic story elements as the soundtrack tempo increases. Still, very cool.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#26  Edited By Jeust

Looks good! :)

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Warrozo

@Claude: Thank you :) We'll release more information soon

@Jeust: Cheers!

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JCTango

@Warrozo said:

@fini_fly: As for the lack of a GB page, I thought they only liked released games :)

I think it's ok if you put up a GB wiki page about this project. I've seen a lot of "in-progress" works on the site's wiki pages already!

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Warrozo

@JCTango: It'd be biased if I wrote it, anyone want the wiki points? (And a e-hug?)

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JCTango

@Warrozo said:

@JCTango: It'd be biased if I wrote it, anyone want the wiki points? (And a e-hug?)

Alright, I put in a submission for your game's page - once it's approved I'll add more stuff in; I'm sure others will help out as well. If you want to send me some more info other than the stuff I can find on your site, pm me!

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Warrozo

@JCTango: Really do appreciate it!

JCTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JCTango

@Warrozo: OK, the wiki submission went through :). I added in some infos. If you see anything that isn't right, or missing or whatever, lemme know!

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Warrozo

@JCTango: Thank you :)

Jay444111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jay444111

@Warrozo: Excuse me, but by Silent Hill/Resident evil like puzzles. Do you mean the sort of puzzles that have a really, and I do mean, really weird way of figuring them out?

By this. I mean, are there blue/red/yellow skulls that if you don't put in the right place, the floor becomes electrified ala RE series? Or some weird as hell riddle that involves hunting for tokens of a lady and old man and some dude, and putting them in what you believe are the right spots so you can move a desk to the side ala Silent hill 2?

I do have problems with both of those and I hope you can understand where I am coming from here. I understand that you guys have been designing this for a while by the well made look of the game.

But think about how a real person would react to the same situation. A real person would not solve a puzzle in a zombie infested place just to open a bookshelf! In real life we would have broken down the book case and went right through! Or solving a riddle to get past a certain point, most people would instead break through a wall to get to somewhere than waste time going around a haunted place where monsters are everywhere! It doesn't seem logical at all.

Or in a famous case, Amnesia, why can't you fight back at least a little. There are some statues with swords/axes on them. Most people would've ripped that thing right off and would've carried even a prop weapon if it can make you feel somewhat safe from nightmare fuel that game makes you go through! Even if you do have weapons, it does make sense if the main character doesn't know how to use them. But that still does not excuse tank controls.

In my opinions, most horror games are destroyed by two things, it is not the jump scares or jumping the shark moments either. It has to be the controls and the story the game has.

One thing I hate to see in indie games is the focus being completely gameplay based with no actual effort in the story at all. I buy most of my games because they have a story to them! I know many gamers do! While the gameplay control is another part which a lot of old school horror games should have learned before they are made, You can still make a scary game even if it has good controls!

Lets look at Alan Wake, great controls and they make sense! One thing I did like was how he did get tired from running all the time and I think that is one thing horror games should do! Like, put a fat balding man with bad eyesight as the main character of the game and just have him be severely outmatched by what he faces! In speed, strength, stamina, and eyesight! Those can be hampered to create a sense of dread within you by making the main character much weaker compared to everything he sees! Not the controls, that is just a really cheap attempt at creating scares IMO. Do real people move like the characters in the resident evil games? Or do the move more like Alan Wake?

Damn... was not meaning to write that much about these subjects. But I hope you can see why many gamers don't actually like a lot of survival horror games out there. Most of it is based on things no sane human being would do. However there are some which are based on human sanity that make total sense. Looking back on it, Stephen Kings The Mist movie was excellent and showed that many people had sanity and didn't really try to be stupid like most B-class movies/games. It was still a very frightening movie because of what the characters were dealing with was beyond their very scope of reason!

That is true horror right there! Not of this silent hill/resident evil stuff that only creates fear by force instead of polish. All of this is IMO of course. Take what you will from it.

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Warrozo

@Jay444111: Thank's for the detailed response!

We are trying to balance out the points that you are saying by attempting to create an interesting but not an overly realistic game.

All of your questions are very valid points and we have taken these kind of queries into consideration since the very start of the project.

I like the fact you are so passionate about games!

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#36  Edited By Yummylee

I would be very excited for this if my PC could actually play games efficiently post-2002. And I know you'll assure me that it's an indie game, probably won't be all that demanding but... my computer... god dayum.

Warrozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Warrozo

@Abyssfull: Can't say it won't be demanding... but it run's at a solid frame-rate on most machines.. :D

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BonOrbitz

So far, so good! You really do get a good sense of atmosphere, as well as a "classic Resident Evil" feel from the camera angles. I hope it's out by Halloween so I can add it to my list of scary games to play for the season. So far, Amnesia: The Dark Descent is at the top of my list for this year.

benson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By benson

I liked the music and while there's not a lot to look at, it seems similar enough to Silent Hill to at least make me curious. The title of the game is what bothers me, "Tanathophobia"? To me it sounds clumsy and pretentious, I'm already picturing Jeff saying it on the bombcast with a 90s X-treme voice. Have you considered other names?

Anyway, I'm interested to see where this goes since I love survival horror, I'll keep an eye on it.