Pain & Gain

simmant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Anyone seen this yet? Trying to decide if I should go tonight. Is it more Transformers style Bay or The Rock/Bad Boys style Bay?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#2  Edited By Justin258

This guy says it's all right. He also says it definitely leans toward the latter.

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I've heard it's pretty dumb and Michael Bay goes a little too Michael Bay with it but that overall it's pretty decent. It certainly seems to be more Bad Boys than Transformers.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

"Pain and Gain" sounds like Michael Bay's movie making philosophy.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By myke_tuna

It was ok. It's not really an action movie or a comedy movie. It was more of a drama with some funny stuff here and there and maybe 2 to 3 action sequences. It really is about the true story that happened all those years back. But if you go in expecting that, I'm sure it'll be ok. I was actually expecting off-the-wall Bad Boys 2 type shit. But that's not really what it was.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Michael Bay is awesome. Haters be hating on his stuff. He makes popcorn flicks like no others. I'll probably be watching it tomorrow Been missing a good Bad Boy's esque movie.

simmant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By simmant

So I went ahead and saw it last night. Not bad, pretty fun, but sort of weird. Bay seems to have an incredible amount of disdain for most of he characters, which is sort of weird. Throughout the whole thing, I couldn't shake the feeling that Bay could make a much better movie if he wanted to, but I just don't think he gives a shit.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

I just saw it, and I thought it was great. Really funny. I would even go so far as to say hilarious.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I really liked it, I felt it wasn't too action heavy, but it felt like a really damn long movie. When I thought it was almost over, I later realized that was only the halfway mark.

I enjoyed it, glad I saw it, but I wouldn't want to watch it again while it's still in theaters.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By johncallahan

I went in with sub-zero expectations. Having loved earlier stuff, but holding the belief that the Transformers movies are some of the most detestable abominations that have ever been spewed from this planet. After seeing it, I honestly think it is my favorite movie of the year so far. It feels like Bay going back his roots. Say what you will about the guy, he knows how to shoot a movie, if he had a little self-control, he could be one of the greatest filmmakers working today.

Pain and Gain is fantastic, if not a bit bloated. Bay set out to make a dark comedy and he did it. It's a dumb movie about dumber people, and it works so well on that level that I couldn't help but have a smile on through the whole thing. Great performances all around, with absolute special notice to The Rock who has delivered the performance of his career and one of the most memorable characters in recent cinema history.

Trust me, like I said I was expecting the worst of the worst and ended up with the exact opposite. Loved it, go see it!

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In some ways, I think it looks kind of fascinating, but at the same time, it seems incredibly disrespectful to people who are still very much alive, and in other cases tragically dead. Makes me a little uncomfortable.

MrMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

As a bodybuilder, WWE watcher and big Rock fan this is a must see movie for me. Unfortunately its not out here in Norway for another 2 months!

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Well this isn't what I expected... I should probably pay more attention to current movies.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It really isn't your average Michael Bay movie. It's a dramedy, but it's way darker than any of his past movies. That's really my biggest problem with it; it's dealing with some dark subject matter, so it should have had some dark comedy. Not the goofy, lighthearted stuff you see in Michael Bay movies. So whenever it switches between comedy and drama it's incredibly jarring.

I did enjoy the movie, though. Michael Bay should keep going down this road and stay away from the ostentatious stuff he usually makes. He made a fairly compelling and subdued movie with mostly dramatic elements, and that still amazes me. Would you ever use the word subdued to describe a Michael Bay movie? Nope! But he actually did it for once.

I think The Rock is the best part of the movie. He plays a sort of wide-eyed and brutish character in the movie, and he really nails it.

intro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched it last night, thought it was a great movie. Weird thinking how they actually pulled it off for awhile. In real life, the guy they captured and tortured for a month, didn't go to the police for months.