Pillow talk

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BonOrbitz

Lately allergies have been really getting to me. I've been stuffed up and sneezy during the day and at night, and Claritin has been helping with that.

However, when I was talking allergies with someone they said they've heard that you should replace your pillow every six months due to the build up of dust mites and allergens. That sounds like crazy talk to me, but does anyone actually do that? I wash my pillow cover often and my pillow occasionally.

I've had my pillow for a loooong time and wonder if it's time to replace it. Maybe I'll get one of those anime body pillows.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

@bonorbitz said:

Lately allergies have been really getting to me. I've been stuffed up and sneezy during the day and at night, and Claritin has been helping with that.

Yea, she really knows how to take care of allergies. Did she get a medical degree or anything, or is it just some strange talent?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Video_Game_King said:

@bonorbitz said:

Yea, she really knows how to take care of allergies. Did she get a medical degree or anything, or is it just some strange talent?

Both. Not only does she take care of my upper respiratory allergies but she can also shoot ping pong balls out of her vagina.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#4  Edited By pyromagnestir

This thread is exactly what I hoped it would be!

However are you open to all discussion pillow related or should we just keep it on the initial question? I do get a new pillow about once a year. Not for sanitation reasons, but they just are more comfortable when new. After a while they get flat, my neck hurts, I have trouble sleeping, all sorts of not fun stuff.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Video_Game_King

@bonorbitz said:

Both. Not only does she take care of my upper respiratory allergies but she can also shoot ping pong balls out of her vagina.

That's nothing. I can shoot basketballs out of mine.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Ravenlight

@bonorbitz said:

However, when I was talking allergies with someone they said they've heard that you should replace your pillow every six months due to the build up of dust mites and allergens. That sounds like crazy talk to me, but does anyone actually do that? I wash my pillow cover often and my pillow occasionally.

I've had my pillow for a loooong time and wonder if it's time to replace it. Maybe I'll get one of those anime body pillows.

Dat Claritin D, son. Shit gets you fuuuuucccked uuuuuup!

For serious, though, Claritin is expensive. I've got allergies and usually some generic-ass pseudoephedrine for $2 is enough to keep me alive.

frankfartmouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By frankfartmouth

Yes, it does matter, although I can't say whether it will matter to you. Allergies are wildly different from person to person, and a lot of dealing with them is just trial and error.

Personally, I have allergies and other environmental intolerances that are so bad, I have to replace shit all the time, can only eat a limited number of foods anymore, can't be anywhere near cigarette smoke or even ride in a car that has been smoked in, on and on and on. My immune system is wrecked.

Some of the dust mite/allergen pillow cases are helpful, you might want to try one of those, but they're sometimes more expensive than just buying a new hypoallergenic pillow. Have you ever had a skin test to determine exactly what you're exactly to?

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Video_Game_King said:

@bonorbitz said:

That's nothing. I can shoot basketballs out of mine.

That's impressive. Please tell me you do that to the Globetrotters theme.

@Ravenlight: Yeah, Claritin is expensive but I've been getting coupons for it. Cheap shit works just as well, huh?

@frankfartmouth said:

Have you ever had a skin test to determine exactly what you're exactly to?

No, but I'm pretty sure tree pollen is something I'm allergic to. I may be allergic to other airborne particles.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

@bonorbitz:

Nah. More to this.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By coaxmetal

should be under the bayonetta page imo

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ravenlight

@bonorbitz said:

@frankfartmouth said:

No, but I'm pretty sure tree pollen is something I'm allergic to. I may be allergic to other airborne particles.

Those tests are either awesome or terrifying, depending on your outlook.

The way I was tested was they poked my back with like three dozen different little needles dipped in samples of different allergens. Whichever of the dots swelled up and got itchy, I was allergic to.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BonOrbitz

@Video_Game_King said:

@bonorbitz:

Nah. More to this.

How do you make basketballs getting shot out of a vagina more entertaining? By choreographing it to the Battletoads theme. That's the best thing I've heard in a very long time.

@Ravenlight said:

@bonorbitz said:

@frankfartmouth said:

Those tests are either awesome or terrifying, depending on your outlook.

The way I was tested was they poked my back with like three dozen different little needles dipped in samples of different allergens. Whichever of the dots swelled up and got itchy, I was allergic to.

A co-worker of mine had that test a couple of years ago (except they poked him in the wrist) and he found out that he was allergic to tree pollen. His allergies and mine kick in at the same time so I just assumed I have the same thing. We also have a lot of dust in our place so I wonder if that has some effect on me.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By killacam
@bonorbitz said:

just throw your pillow in the dryer on high heat... it'll take care of the rest
BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BonOrbitz

I'm definitely running out to get a new pillow tonight.

I just read that 10% of a two-year old pillow's weight is made up of dead dust mites and their waste. Fuck that.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#15  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

Get a hypoallergen(ic)-pillow (and blankets) if you're allergic against mites. It makes mites harder to latch on your bedsheets. But first things first, get tested on possible allergies if you're not sure. What are your allergies that you know of?

Those test aren't bad, usually it involves the forearm(s) if they have some clues and a broad/extensive test on the back if they want to test the full spectrum. Might cause some itching and discomfort, but there is nothing more discomforting than not knowing what kind of allergy you have.

cookiemonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By cookiemonster

I only change my pillow when its degraded so much its just a pile of feathers.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BonOrbitz

@TrafalgarLaw said:

Get a hypoallergen(ic)-pillow (and blankets) if you're allergic against mites. It makes mites harder to latch on your bedsheets. But first things first, get tested on possible allergies if you're not sure. What are your allergies that you know of?

Those test aren't bad, usually it involves the forearm(s) if they have some clues and a broad/extensive test on the back if they want to test the full spectrum. Might cause some itching and discomfort, but there is nothing more discomforting than not knowing what kind of allergy you have.

I bought a hypoallergenic pillow and cover last night. It wasn't as comfy as the previous pillow that was soft and squishy, but I was able to sleep with it so it's alright. At one point in the night I shifted my head and the scratchy noise embedded itself into a dream I was having as the sound of an airliner plunging into the ground next door to a house I was at in the dream.

sashimi_biscut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By sashimi_biscut

If your pillow is super old, I would suggest replacing it, if you can afford it, just for the sake of not having 10% of your pillow's weight being dust mites and dist mite poo.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Hizang

I had the same pillow for about 6 years, I had no issues. But man as soon as I got that new pillow did I miss my old pillow!

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By PeasantAbuse

My pillow is so busted, I might as well just not use one.

TrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TrafalgarLaw

@bonorbitz said:

@TrafalgarLaw said:

I bought a hypoallergenic pillow and cover last night. It wasn't as comfy as the previous pillow that was soft and squishy, but I was able to sleep with it so it's alright. At one point in the night I shifted my head and the scratchy noise embedded itself into a dream I was having as the sound of an airliner plunging into the ground next door to a house I was at in the dream.

Well pillows are kinda like shoes, you need to wear them out a little before they get comfy. Changing the matrass and cleaning/vacuuming your room thoroughly might help a little extra. If you feel like your symptoms getting worse, consult a doctor. Good luck.