#1 Posted by dream431ca (170 posts) -

Today has been a really bad day. I had to put down my Chiwawa. He was 18 years old. If you have a pet, cherish all the time you spend with them. See you on the other side bud.

#2 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

That sucks...

#3 Posted by lmenzol (271 posts) -

@dream431ca: sorry man that must really suck ive had dogs die on me before but i never had to put them down

#4 Posted by dream431ca (170 posts) -

@lmenzol: Thanks man. My dog had a number of problems and was getting worse. 18 is a very old age. I could not let the dog suffer any longer.

#5 Posted by TyCobb (1945 posts) -
#6 Posted by Gamer_152 (14058 posts) -

That's sad to hear. I hope you're as good as you can be right now and I guess at least the dog is no longer suffering.

#7 Posted by dream431ca (170 posts) -

@TyCobb: LOL. I'm not that good at spelling. Thanks man.

#8 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3482 posts) -

That's very unfortunate, duder. I recently acquired a border collie puppy--which I named Tyrion--and I absolutely adore the little guy.

#9 Posted by dream431ca (170 posts) -

@Gamer_152: Thanks bud. It will take time to get over, but discussing it with others really helps.

#10 Posted by Djstyles92 (952 posts) -

So sorry =/. I know the feeling, I had to put my dog down back in 2000, and its the worst. Feel better my man

#11 Posted by dream431ca (170 posts) -

@Djstyles92: Thanks dude :)

#12 Posted by Owlhead (152 posts) -

@dream431ca: Sorry to hear that dude. He's chillin with Odin now though, and that's pretty awesome.

#13 Posted by Demoskinos (14583 posts) -

18 years is a pretty good run for a dog. Still, that sucks.

#14 Edited by cyraxible (683 posts) -

It's been a couple years since we had to put down my husky, Kami, and I still tear up from time to time thinking about her. Nothing will be as emotionally painful as those last few days watching her deteriorate.

It's hard losing someone who's always happy to see you.

#15 Posted by deox (210 posts) -

I'm sorry to hear that man. I had to have my dog put down a month ago so I know how you feel. He was only 12, but unfortunately he was in constant pain due to stomach cancer. I was in the room with him when he was put to sleep and it was easily one of the hardest things I've ever had to do. Although part of me was just thankful he didn't have to suffer any more, it's still a shitty, broken kind of feeling that only gets easier with time. Hold in there dude.

#16 Posted by dream431ca (170 posts) -

@deox: Thanks man. Today was easily one of the hardest moments of my life to go through but I know how the grieving process goes as I have lost friends and family in the past. It does get easier with time.

#17 Posted by DondiTerminator (10 posts) -

My dog is 12 years old when he died, he was poisoned by some group of drunk people. Very sad:'''(

#18 Posted by MegaLombax (384 posts) -

Sorry to hear that mate

@cyraxible said:

It's hard losing someone who's always happy to see you.

Very well put.

#19 Posted by BigBoss1911 (2414 posts) -

Bit of a bump but I just put to sleep my basset hound of 10 years today. The feeling is absolutely gut wrenching.

#20 Edited by bybeach (4730 posts) -

Sorry about that, guys. All I can say is that you are not the only one(s) who have dealt with that in some form or another. Sure not my favorite experience, then or in the future. May you find some small solace in the view that good things come and whether we want it or not(we don't) good things go. It's just the way it is, and out of our hands.

I have 2 new cats now after losing my last one a year and one-half ago. I am developing the view that I am their care taker. Having that view seems to soften the experience I have already had, and what know is in the future again. I will see them through the ride, my job so to speak.

#21 Edited by FancySoapsMan (5808 posts) -

@bigboss1911: I'm sorry to hear that, it's definitely a painful experience.

I had my 7 year old beagle put down last year, and it was one of the worst experiences of my life. I still tear up a bit when I think about her sometimes.

#22 Posted by JasonR86 (9611 posts) -

I'm sorry. That's really hard to do.

#23 Edited by Itwongo (1132 posts) -

This last year, I put down my bichon. She developed a cyst in her stomach, and there was nothing we could do about it. It was a very hard thing to experience, and I cried like a baby. But she lived a long, happy life, and I have fond memories of her. We practically grew up together: We got her when I was in kindergarten. I turned 22 last March.

#24 Posted by Bombanana (36 posts) -

Oh man, that´s tough. I had to do it last fall and it knocked me out for a few months. She was a pretty large dog. Galgo, a sighthound. Took her with me every day to work, almost everywhere. Her last week, she couldn´t even get up anymore and i had to carry her outside, she could hardly stand. It did break my heart. Such a loyal friend. It´s hard to let go. Still thinking of her every day. I miss her. Was a clever and funny chap.

Hang in there. It´ll get better over time. It probably was the right thing to do. Life ends at some point. This stuff also is tough because it is a reminder of that. Dogs can teach you a lot about life :P

#25 Posted by helvetica (76 posts) -

@bybeach: So sorry for your loss. 10 years is a long time and you no doubt have many great memories together.

#26 Posted by Wulver (5 posts) -

Shucks, man, I know it's tough. I lost two pets in my life. But stay strong and cherish the time you had with your pet, because that's the best thing you can do for yourself. Just, you know, let time do it's thing.

#27 Posted by Marcsman (3125 posts) -

Sorry for your loss

#28 Posted by Slaps2 (158 posts) -

@bigboss1911: Sucks dude. I remember jokingly saying "Don't die while I'm gone." to my dog before going on vacation... I never saw her again. :'(

You should find some way to spoil yourself today, dude.

#29 Posted by Random45 (1063 posts) -

I know exactly what you're going through, I had to put my dog down the year I graduated High School, she was either 15 or 16, I can't remember, I've known her practically all my life up to that point, and it was very difficult decision to put her down. I remember the family talking about it, but she could barely move and was in obvious pain. I couldn't even LOOK at other people's dogs for months afterwards, and it stung when people mentioned dogs to me.

It gets a lot better over time, but those first few months are pretty rough.

#30 Edited by GiantLizardKing (309 posts) -

Sorry to hear that dude. Sucks that the little buds don't live longer. Try to remember all the good times and keep in mind how much better you two made each others' existences. Sorry for your loss.

#31 Edited by shinjin977 (748 posts) -

I remembered when I was 8, my dog just walk out into the front lawn and sat in the sun. I thought he was just taking a nap. He never got up. I cant even imagine how it would feel to have to put them down. Take care duder.

#32 Edited by Sanj (2353 posts) -
#33 Edited by darksouls2 (22 posts) -

Today has been a really bad day. I had to put down my Chiwawa. He was 18 years old. If you have a pet, cherish all the time you spend with them. See you on the other side bud.

Sorry buddy.

#35 Posted by alien_balls (9 posts) -

Damn, I'm sorry. At the very least, it sounds like he lived a long, full life for a dog and I'm sure he was happy. Eventually it'll get easier to deal with, but if you feel you should grieve him then by all means do so, there's no shame in it.

Hope you feel better.