Quick Movie Review: Rachel Getting Married

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By Bruce

Whew, tad late to this one considering how much I loved Anne Hathaway's small, albeit brilliant, role in Brokeback Mountain.

Basic Plot Summary: Fresh out of rehab, problem-child Kim (Anne Hathaway) comes home to see her sister wed.

Overall, it's a tour de force type performance from Hathaway, and a throw away from everyone else. The dude from TV On the Radio is in it, and his name is forth or fifth listed on the billing; as you can see, this film has no care at all for its secondary characters. Hathaway completely nails the sarcastic-disturbed-girl thing in a way that Ellen Page could only wish for. (I saw Juno on a date; it fucking sucked) Any-who, Hathaway received an Oscar nom for this performance, and despite Kate Winslet winning, (for the wrong movie...Revolutionary Road says Hi) I feel it was probably a close tie to Winslet more than just a standard "We need five nominees" nomination.

Some Issues with the movie: Minor sex scene toward the beginning that's so quick it doesn't serve a purpose; Supporting characters/actors are weak, minus maybe Rachel herself, although she comes across as very soap-opera theatrical; Humming Wolf Like Me to yourself in every scene Tunde appears in; The whole concept the story revolves around: A former drugged up member of the family showing up for a wedding and causing nothing but problems and awkwardness for the others; well, it's cliche as hell.

In summation, I'd recommend this film if you're not apposed to watching otherwise weak films, that happen to have a single great performance in them. On a side tangent, these movies are very abundant come Oscar time (Did anyone fucking watch Benicio Del Toro as Che? C'mon) and I find myself being slightly bored of them. They usually review quite lukewarm, and garner single acclaim for the lead actor, and nothing else. This year saw the trend of what I like to call, "Single Performance Films" continue with: Rachel Getting Married, Changeling, Frozen River, The Visitor....and the list goes on. (See Casey Affleck in Jesse James last year) That aside, Rachel Getting Married is at least worth watching for its "Single Performance" and does not make a bad on-demand rental at 12:00 at night.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Bruce

Whew, tad late to this one considering how much I loved Anne Hathaway's small, albeit brilliant, role in Brokeback Mountain.

Basic Plot Summary: Fresh out of rehab, problem-child Kim (Anne Hathaway) comes home to see her sister wed.

Overall, it's a tour de force type performance from Hathaway, and a throw away from everyone else. The dude from TV On the Radio is in it, and his name is forth or fifth listed on the billing; as you can see, this film has no care at all for its secondary characters. Hathaway completely nails the sarcastic-disturbed-girl thing in a way that Ellen Page could only wish for. (I saw Juno on a date; it fucking sucked) Any-who, Hathaway received an Oscar nom for this performance, and despite Kate Winslet winning, (for the wrong movie...Revolutionary Road says Hi) I feel it was probably a close tie to Winslet more than just a standard "We need five nominees" nomination.

Some Issues with the movie: Minor sex scene toward the beginning that's so quick it doesn't serve a purpose; Supporting characters/actors are weak, minus maybe Rachel herself, although she comes across as very soap-opera theatrical; Humming Wolf Like Me to yourself in every scene Tunde appears in; The whole concept the story revolves around: A former drugged up member of the family showing up for a wedding and causing nothing but problems and awkwardness for the others; well, it's cliche as hell.

In summation, I'd recommend this film if you're not apposed to watching otherwise weak films, that happen to have a single great performance in them. On a side tangent, these movies are very abundant come Oscar time (Did anyone fucking watch Benicio Del Toro as Che? C'mon) and I find myself being slightly bored of them. They usually review quite lukewarm, and garner single acclaim for the lead actor, and nothing else. This year saw the trend of what I like to call, "Single Performance Films" continue with: Rachel Getting Married, Changeling, Frozen River, The Visitor....and the list goes on. (See Casey Affleck in Jesse James last year) That aside, Rachel Getting Married is at least worth watching for its "Single Performance" and does not make a bad on-demand rental at 12:00 at night.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Linkyshinks

I liked it also, it was indeed a strong performance from her, which was only highlighted further by the weak cast around her. Hathaway is totally believable in the role, she plays a complex recovering addict very well in my eyes, she gives you little glimpses as to why she developed an addiction throughout.

Nice wedding scene, It was cringe worthy at times for authenticity, and it had nice music.

Performances is individual films should be judged, not past work. Winslet shouldn't have one on that performance for me. Di Caprio's character was far more interesting to me as a viewer.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By eric_buck

You, sir, DO NOT DESERVE TO SEE JUNO!!!!!!!

phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By phlegms

Had never heard of it before. Ignorance is fun!

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By Wolverine
@Bruce: Thanks for the review because I was actually thinking about watching Rachel Getting Married and I think I'll check it out now. I like Anne Hathaway a lot.
Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bruce
@Eric_Buck:

Saw it already, and it sucked. Ellen Page was waaay better in Hard Candy, you know, where she wasn't doing her best Janeane Garofalo impression.
Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wolverine
@Bruce said:
" @Eric_Buck: Saw it already, and it sucked. Ellen Page was waaay better in Hard Candy, you know, where she wasn't doing her best Janeane Garofalo impression. "
Yeah I agree, I didn't think Juno was that great. I never saw Hard Candy though. Maybe I'll rent in on Netflix.
Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Osaladin

Some parts where okay, but I found most of the movie too boring. And I don't know if Anne is just a really good actress, or if she played it on too thick, but I absolutely hated her character. She got on my nerves the entire movie. On the plus side, I really loved the idea of the entire music soundtrack actually being played in the movie by those musicians.

eric_buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By eric_buck

Hard Candy was creepy and weird. Not recommended by me...

ververdan0226

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ververdan0226
@Bruce: Everyone else a throw away? Really?? That movie was fantastic, maybe a little drawn out towards the end, but a brilliant character study. Rosemary Dewitt was really good as Rachel and the man who played the father (forget his name) was really good as well. The characters maybe should have gotten a little more development, as the movie throws you into the family with you to only infer the backstory (such as SPOILERS the brother having died in the family's past) but I thought they were all really well portrayed and that's really just part of the story's down-to-earth and tense pace. And Anne Hathaway was really good as well.

Also, are you seriously complaining about a ten second sex scene at the beginning with some dialogue afterwards?? Come on...
Avatar image for staticandflicker
StaticAndFlicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StaticAndFlicker

You've piqued my interest, i'll give it a watch sometime.  Having Tunde from Tv on the radio in it makes me qutie want to see it, even though I wouldnt have associated him with films like this.

And Hard Candy is really really good, my balls shrivelled during the err.... game of operation