RBMA Digs Into the History of Video Game Music

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

The Red Bull Music Academy is a pretty crazy organization when it comes to underground music. They are at tons of music events/festivals; host workshops, create competition events, set up large studios all over the globe, have their own web zine, and other projects involving some pretty great artists of various backgrounds. When speaking about projects, they are releasing a video series very soon called "Diggin' In the Cart," where various artists talk about how music in video games influenced them and shaped the sounds they create today in their work. The series will also be interviewing Japanese legends from the world of video games as well.

I think this is pretty exciting stuff, as you literally hear this era of influence is leaking into much of the music we hear today. Being heavily into music and production, it's really cool to see many familiar artists (to me) talk about how growing up with 8-bit and 16-bit era music, from the Japanese video game scene, became essential the music they produced. It's also really cool that they reached out to these Japanese composers to talk about their work as well. Well, how do y'all feel about this? And do you have any favorite artists that are heavily influenced by that era of Japanese video game music (mine is Ryan Hemsworth)?

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Corevi

JUST BLAZE!

Anyway looks pretty cool.

WalkmanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, that looks pretty amazing, thanks for posting! Looks like they've got some good guests, I'm a big fan of Anamanaguchi, Flying Lotus and Fatima Al Qadiri especially.

sgtsphynx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#4  Edited By sgtsphynx  Moderator

I couldn't help but think of Barkerville during that video.

Also, I am definitely interested in watching that on Sep. 4 and will keep an eye out for it.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@walkmanboy: Yeah, I was very surprised to see Fatima Al Qadiri on the list. Her latest album is amazing!

WalkmanBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: It really is! Also, I've just gone through and watched a bunch of their videos, really cool! Thanks for getting me on to them!

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2