Relationship between Evil Dead 1 and 2

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By nightriff

So I just watched/watching the first two films since it's been like 8 years since I've seen them. I always assumed that Evil Dead 2 was really a remake/spiritual sequel in that the films are very, very similar. I watched the first one last night and it was a lot better than I remembered and yet it wasn't, not as funny as I thought but still a alright horror film in its own way. So I just finishing ED2 and just how the film starts...it feels like the beginning of the film recaps basically the first movie, go to cabin, kill girlfriend in the same manor, make it till morning, get attack by demon within the first 5 to 10 minutes. SUPER quick. The theory that is now playing in my head that Ash actually survives the first one and this one is him going crazy as he continues to stay and other people join him. What do you guys think? Am I over thinking it that there is a relationship between the two or it is just a crazier remake?

*I gave Screened till the end of the movie to come up with something....nothing*

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By GunstarRed

Over thinking, it's a crazier remake. I don't think Sam Raimi cares about anything more than entertaining the audience.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Hamst3r

ED2 is a better ED1.

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By gamefreak9

@Hamst3r said:

ED2 is a better ED1.

Nottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Nottle

@GunstarRed said:

Over thinking, it's a crazier remake. I don't think Sam Raimi cares about anything more than entertaining the audience.

I'm pretty sure it's a sequel. The recap at the beginning was put in because Raimi couldn't get rights to ED1 or something like that. Without the recap 2 takes off right where 1 left off.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By nightriff
@Hamst3r duh, i wasn't questioning which is better
ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ShaggE

I think of it as a reimagining more than a remake or a sequel. I don't have anything to back that up with, it's just how I see it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b43dadb9061b
deactivated-5b43dadb9061b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@Nightriff said:

So I just watched/watching the first two films since it's been like 8 years since I've seen them. I always assumed that Evil Dead 2 was really a remake/spiritual sequel in that the films are very, very similar. I watched the first one last night and it was a lot better than I remembered and yet it wasn't, not as funny as I thought but still a alright horror film in its own way. So I just finishing ED2 and just how the film starts...it feels like the beginning of the film recaps basically the first movie, go to cabin, kill girlfriend in the same manor, make it till morning, get attack by demon within the first 5 to 10 minutes. SUPER quick. The theory that is now playing in my head that Ash actually survives the first one and this one is him going crazy as he continues to stay and other people join him. What do you guys think? Am I over thinking it that there is a relationship between the two or it is just a crazier remake?

*I gave Screened till the end of the movie to come up with something....nothing*

That's what commentaries are for! Also all the Evil Dead 1/2/3 commentaries are hilarious.

TheJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheJohn

I've always seen it as a sequel. It's a loose one, sure, but still a sequel. Everyone but Ash is dead and he himself is saved by still being alive at dawn. One could say that the weird recaps that kick off both ED2 and Army of Darkness are due to Ash being an unreliable narrator, which is a theory that fits his character somewhat. Also, he's been through a lot. Can we really blame him for not getting the details about his dead, possessed girlfriend right? In real life, it's about rights and actors not returning and Sam Raimi not letting that stop him from telling his stories, as mentioned earlier in the thread.

I'll admit, it's been a while since I last saw them, so my interpretation might be totally off.

Also, the sequel is superior. That laughing, mounted deer head unsettled me to the core as a young'un.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Nightriff said:

Well... theres only like 4 of us there left...

Genkkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Genkkaku

@Nottle said:

@GunstarRed said:

I'm pretty sure it's a sequel. The recap at the beginning was put in because Raimi couldn't get rights to ED1 or something like that. Without the recap 2 takes off right where 1 left off.

Yeah this.. making it both a remake and a sequel..

I like how it was here that Raimi was finally finding his style, more towards the absurd comedy

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai

WHo cares, really? All that's important is that we get another chance to see awesome Bruce playing as Ash, period.