Right, serious question, lads: DeLorean or Bernard's Watch

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By farmer

This is a question that's been dominating conversation with my friends for some time. You can have one of the following things:

• Time-travelling DeLorean with the Mr. Fusion and hover conversion
  • Bernard's Watch, exactly as it is demonstrated in the CITV show of the same name. Basically, this gold watch allows Bernard to stop time.

I won't do a poll because I'm more interested in the logic behind the choice, rather than the choice itself.

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Twisted_Scot

DeLorean, the reason is that even if you had the watch you are capable of freezing time, time will always continue to travel forwards (when not stopped). With a time traveling machine you would be able to travel back to the situation you intended to freeze and stop it from happening all together. This combined with the ability to travel forwards and backwards to any point seems like a way better deal.

PS I always hated that show "Bernard's watch" and the other shit like "The queens nose" etc. I am however trying to remember the name of that show with the 3 kids and their dad who live in the lighthouse. I think it was Australian, anyone know it?

Canteu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Canteu

I grew up so jealous of that motherfucking watch, oh the terrible shenanigans you can get up to. Although, my ideas were a little less innocent than Bernard's. God damn he even paid for the shopping when he used the watch to not have to wait in line, what a load of shit.

The Delorean will just get you killed.

Edit: Even watching that video, when she says "the sight of the hold all gave him his first good idea", then he puts the rocks in the bag, I was thinking, yeahhhhh fill it with rocks, then beat them to death with the rock filled bag.

Stupid kid just makes the bag heavy...

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By TruthTellah

Time-traveling DeLorean. If I want a watch like Bernard's, I'll just go into the future to some point where they have that technology. That way, I have both. Why settle for one when you can have both plus most anything else you can imagine?

soybob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By soybob

@Twisted_Scot: You are think of "Round the Twist"

Also, hell yeah Bernard's Watch. While visiting the past world be cool and whatnot, Bernard's Watch is way more practical in real life.

LD50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By LD50

The Watch

1: maintenance (3000BC: do we have a 7mm socket? I'll check the river)

2: resources (don't have a blowout in 3000BC)

3: security (hiding a car in 3000BC)

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By AlexW00d

Bernard's Watch all day every day. I always used to want that watch. Goddamnit Bernard you lucky shit.

McBEEF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By McBEEF

Got to be the Watch- For example, stopping time in the morning so you get a lie in everyday, you could go get your shopping for free, become an amazing photographer etc etc, with very little effort

I love the Delorean but the watch is just easier.

Question- If bernard had wound the watch backwards or forwards, would he have travelled through time?

RustySanderke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RustySanderke

Man, that watch! No more deadlines, you can get away with pretty much anything or escape a nasty situation.

So, for practicality, the watch wins by far. Also, the reliability of the DeLorean is a bit dodgy.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#10  Edited By musubi

I'm going watch. If that DeLorean breaks down then your screwed and stuck in another time you don't want to be in. Also starting to fuck with time would cause some unintended effects. With the watch if it breaks you've lost a cool power but at least your in the correct time and place and don't have the potential to screw up and entire timeline.

IBurningStar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By IBurningStar

Watch. Less problematic and more easy to abuse for my own gain.

A_Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By A_Dog

Time Belt.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GunslingerPanda

Don't call me "lad."

Watch because I can't drive.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Jimbo

I'd rather have Penny's crayon any day of the week.

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Ramone

Bernard's Watch or maybe that 50p coin off the Queen's Nose.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I would rather have the car's abilities in a small package like the watch.

Zing I win.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By korolev

The Watch! Good God, THE WATCH!

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FourWude

Brum.

Joey_Connell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Joey_Connell

The watch is much more practical and the car would be to hard to cover up. With the watch you could sleep all you want then go down the shops and take everything you need and have infinite time to play games.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By Hunter5024

@Demoskinos said:

I'm going watch. If that DeLorean breaks down then your screwed and stuck in another time you don't want to be in. Also starting to fuck with time would cause some unintended effects. With the watch if it breaks you've lost a cool power but at least your in the correct time and place and don't have the potential to screw up and entire timeline.

What if it breaks and your stuck frozen in time, never capable of moving forward, and dooming humanity to a stagnant existence? That sounds way worse.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By musubi
@Hunter5024

@Demoskinos said:

What if it breaks and your stuck frozen in time, never capable of moving forward, and dooming humanity to a stagnant existence? That sounds way worse.

How dare you debate me with logic! :-P
Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Time Belt

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Akyho

When I was hitting puberty. I actually had a similar thought. My younger self won out on "Bernards Watch".

Now take a horny 13 year old and imagine what a watch that could stop time would be used for.

@Canteu said:

I grew up so jealous of that motherfucking watch, oh the terrible shenanigans you can get up to. Although, my ideas were a little less innocent than Bernard's. God damn he even paid for the shopping when he used the watch to not have to wait in line, what a load of shit.

The Delorean will just get you killed.

Edit: Even watching that video, when she says "the sight of the hold all gave him his first good idea", then he puts the rocks in the bag, I was thinking, yeahhhhh fill it with rocks, then beat them to death with the rock filled bag.

Stupid kid just makes the bag heavy...

Exactly! I still feel annoyed by his "oh I need a birthday present...this cards good this is a good gift. Ok here is the exact change and a note telling you I bought it" then skips his way to the party....the entire time...I felt the use of that watch was wasted.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By ssj4raditz

That watch. As much as I love the DeLorean, the time paradoxes I would inevitably cause would keep me from using it too much.

fetchfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By fetchfox

If the laws of time travel from the BTTF movies applied to the real world, I'd go for the DeLorean. The watch is a lot more practical for everyday use, but you'd still age when stopping time... You somewhat face the same problem with the DeLorean though, having to go back (or forward) to the time you left so nothing seems suspicious. You could get around this by being on "holiday" and then travel back (or forward) to the time your "holiday" is over. In that way you wouldn't age more than the time you used to time-travel, or less if you for example chose to come back a month later having only time-traveled for a week.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By shirogane

DeLorean. I'd go cause a time paradox and end existence as we know it! Or at least see what happens when a time paradox occurs...

Though i could always just forget about the time travel and use it as a flying car, that'd be pretty useful on its own.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27  Edited By Justin258

The watch, of course. It has far, far more practical applications. Even legal ones, for those of you thinking that you could just steal things at your leisure. For instance, say you're at a job interview and the interviewer asks a question you can't rightly answer without some thinking - the watch will give you that time. Say a mugger stops you on the street and demands your money - you can pause time right there and walk away (or beat him up). Or maybe you just want time to stop in the middle of the night, every night, so you can get your full night's rest without wasting the entire night. Or, hell, say you need a nap in the middle of the work or school day - pause time, find a comfortable spot, and take your nap.

I do have a good question, though - will this paused time also stop a computer or Xbox from working? These rules seem kind of finicky and when the timestopper in question needs something, it usually seems to magically work despite time being paused.

As for the DeLorean, we saw in the movies that using it can cause some serious problems. Even if you could prevent that, it seems to break down all the time. Still, if I did end up having the DeLorean, I would go forward in time, grab an Almanac, NEVER LET IT GO, and go back to my own time. Then I would put the car in a garage and start making money.

Grillbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Grillbar

ill take the watch. the car has to be insured and all that and its going to be a hazzle. also with all the stuff on it, it would properly be a safety hazard so the police will properly have you remove some of the loose bits or at least in case it, rendering the car useless for its purpose.

now having never heard of the watch im guessing that stopping time lets you still move yourself and objects without making you burn up alive by friction, and if electricity/oxygen/water and what not still works and so on ill take the watch.