"Selfless" is just a crappy theft of "I Will fear No Evil."

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969

One of the better books that Robert A. Heinlein wrote was called "I will Fear No Evil".

The nutshell stories is as follows: In the early 21st century is an overpopulated and dysfunctional society. Elderly billionaire Johann Smith is being kept alive through medical support and decides to have his brain transplanted into a new body. He advertises an offer of a million dollars for the donation of a body from a brain-dead patient. Smith omits to place any restriction on the sex of the donor, so when his beautiful young female secretary, Eunice Branca, is murdered, her body is used. He changes his name to Joan Eunice Smith.

The interesting bit is Eunice is still in that mind, but they don't fight they share the mind. It is an early example of the question of "what is maleness and femaleness" which is a precinct topic today on many levels.

This new movie Selfless seems like a stupider movie by a mile....and that what I just don't get. Why are 90% of science fiction movies about science going wrong? Why is biotechnology nearly always seen in a hugely negative light? I can see a 50/50 split or even a 60/40 split; but having movies consistently negative is just frustrating especially when there are so many books that handle these subjects not only positively but also do a better for thoughtful...and with a more interesting/relevant story.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@monkeyking1969: Science outside of popular science promoted by those like Neil or that which powers stuff like the newest consumer tech is overall pretty unpopular.

GMOs have had a strong negative connotation attached to them, despite almost everything we eat, even 'fresh' food like farm-grown vegetables, being products of decades of genetic engineering. Animal testing is seen as evil, despite the humane use of transgenic mice being responsible for some of the biggest modern medical breakthroughs.

Most sci-fi media these days mainly just use the setting to explore the nature of the human spirit/consciousness/soul, most often by comparing it to that of an AI. But because people don't like being told that ultimately, the thinking of a human may not be all that different of an advanced AI, depending on the way you approach it, 'pure' humanity comes out on top, and the science that attempted to emulate it is seen as bad.

Soma might be something to look forward to in terms of a game that genuinely explores these themes.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@monkeyking1969: That books sounds immensely more interesting and immensely less profitable than that dumb ass looking movie will undoubtedly be.

So it goes...

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

But... Ben Kingsley you guys =(

Ya, I think it looks bad too