So, the woman is apparently dead.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@hailinel said:

@brodehouse: I not going to bother debating how to make racist driving jokes. This is ridiculous.

To be fair I think ANYTHING can be funny. Here is the thing though, comedy like so many other things is an art. And delivery ,structure and timing of jokes and punchlines are a crucial part of comedy. Especially when dealing with taboo subjects.

Just because you say something racist with the intent of it being comedy, it doesn't magically make it not racist.

This weird perception from Americans that comedians are allowed to be racist annoys the fuck out of me, especially when in every other circumstance everyone is happy to call racism any time anyone mentions anything related to the colour of someones skin and references to culture.

CreepingDeath0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By CreepingDeath0
musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@rowr said:

@demoskinos said:

@hailinel said:

@brodehouse: I not going to bother debating how to make racist driving jokes. This is ridiculous.

To be fair I think ANYTHING can be funny. Here is the thing though, comedy like so many other things is an art. And delivery ,structure and timing of jokes and punchlines are a crucial part of comedy. Especially when dealing with taboo subjects.

Just because you say something racist with the intent of it being comedy, it doesn't magically make it not racist.

This weird perception from Americans that comedians are allowed to be racist annoys the fuck out of me, especially when in every other circumstance everyone is happy to call racism any time anyone mentions anything related to the colour of someones skin and references to culture.

No kidding. Racist jokes are racist but racism CAN be funny anything CAN be funny. But like I already said there is a very thin line with jokes about taboo subjects being funny and not.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#56  Edited By afabs515

The police only started shooting after the car began to flee. If I was the police, I would have thought it incredibly suspicious of a car ramming the barricade at capitol hill and then proceeding to flee the scene. I think the police definitely did the right thing, especially after she attempted to flee on foot (even more suspicious). She was acting as a danger to herself, her child, and pedestrians indiscriminately. I don't think they were shooting to kill, so the police were absolutely in the right and acting by the book.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@troll93 said:
@alexw00d said:

Apart from the ones who do get guns...

Slightly off topic, England is crazy with how they issue guns to cops. When I was there on holiday, not during any significant event or anything, at all the major train stations there were cops with machine guns just chillin and according to my English friends, this was not out of the normal. Perhaps I was just there during a heightened alert time, but the swings were so huge it was nearly unbelievable, from unarmed stereotypical friendly cop out in the burbs, to this paramilitary force just wondering around the city.

Your regular beat cop won't have a gun here, because it's fairly unlikely they'll ever come across anyone else with one (the only time they'd ever need one). Whereas in airports, major train stations, places any terrorists and whatnot would attack, especially after 7/7 and that crazy Scottish guy.

I assume you were in London? There will always be heightened security in London, being the capital and all.

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#58  Edited By fattony12000

Capital Capitol.

That was actually an attack by two men, one of whom was British born whilst the other was Indian born. The super funny thing about that pathetic attempt at attacking the terminal building was this, though:

Another man exited the car and ran into the terminal building while he was on fire and began writhing on the ground, before being kicked by a member of the public, John Smeaton, who was awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal for his heroism.

Hero.

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@troll93: It's actually a fairly recent ocurrence that you've seen armed police officers at transport hubs and suchlike, and even then only really in Greater London, essentially meaning that SO19 (or whatever they're called now), the armed branch of the Met, are the only armed response unit that actually patrols. Certainly I've never seen any train stations with armed officers outside of London, although it wouldn't suprise me if some of the larger provincial airports like Manchester had them.

I think the easiest way to look at the way we arm our police in Britain is to look at normal forces vs SWAT teams in the US? Like, imagine if all your "ordinary" officers had their weapons taken away, it would just mean that SWAT became a more general purpose armed response unit?