Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

Edited By gingertastic_10

Yeah yeah, Shutter Island came out as a book in 2003 so I'm pretty late on reading it. My grandma picked it up at a dollar store and gave it to me after she read it. Shutter Island is written by Dennis Lehane and is being made into a movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Shutter Island is a finely well written book that has probably more twist then it can handle. I also am writing this since Shutter Island is coming out not soon, but soon enough for hype to be around it. I figured some people would like to know what to expect.  

No Caption Provided
Shutter Island starts out with a little prequel, it lets you get to know Teddy Daniels a little and his dad. His dad was a great worker. As most of the people around town often said "He can do a honest days work", which is a pretty big compliment. Him and his dad are out on his boat, while on that Teddy sees Shutter Island. Right after that it goes to the present, Teddy and Chuck Aule are on a ferry heading to Shutter Island. They take this time to get to know one another and instantly like each other. OK, almost 70% of what they show in the trailers happen in the third chapter so most of you know what it's about. They are their to try to find Rachel Solando, who escaped from her bed. Rachel murdered her kids, thought they were still alive and sat them at the dinner table and ate dinner with them. For about half of the book it's focused on that. The story really has three parts to it, but that's not for me to talk about because those would be spoilers.

The story is also about a note that Rachel left on her bed, it says:
The Law of 4
I Am 47
+You are 3
We are 4
But
Who is 67?

Teddy will later crack the code on all of them but the 67 one. The thing that bothers me about the movie is that it looks like they are focusing on the "Who is 67" part. Really they don't even suggest about the 67th patient idea until about more then half way through the book, and still they barely talk about it. Though the 67th patient idea really picks up near the end of the story. There is also another part to the story that pretty much takes over the Rachel and the 67th patient stories. It's pretty heavy. You soon learn about the real reason Teddy is at the Island.

Lehane has really made the perfect setting. He picks a remote island where there isn't another island for about eleven miles, puts a insane asylum on the island and
 From left to right: Dr. Cawley, Teddy Daniels, Chuck Aule.
has a hurricane hit the island. As Teddy slowing seems to be losing his sanity, the hurricane also picks up majorly. Which is I think something Poe did great, and the story does mirror many of Poe's stories. The setting and the dialogue are the winners in this book. Not to say the story sucks, the story is good, it's just that there is to much going on with it at one time sometimes. 

The biggest problem with the book might be it's twists, not that they aren't good, they are excellent. There is just to much of them. I like it when there is one or two big twist in books, but there is like 12 goddamn big time twists in the book. About five of which are excellent, they make the book. And they all come at you one by one near the end and that makes up for the seven or so bad ones that are in the book.  When the only complaint with a book is it's twist you know the author did something right.

I have extremely HIGH expectations for the film. Maybe if I didn't read the book then they might not be as high. But the book is so well paced and so well written I think it'll be hard for Martin Scorsese to recreate it, which is the problem with most books to movie films. They can't recreate the dialogue, setting and descriptions. Still though it's a fantastic book, everyone should read it even if you don't plan on watching the movie. Lehane has written another masterpiece. 

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for gingertastic_10
gingertastic_10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 16

#1  Edited By gingertastic_10

Yeah yeah, Shutter Island came out as a book in 2003 so I'm pretty late on reading it. My grandma picked it up at a dollar store and gave it to me after she read it. Shutter Island is written by Dennis Lehane and is being made into a movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio. Shutter Island is a finely well written book that has probably more twist then it can handle. I also am writing this since Shutter Island is coming out not soon, but soon enough for hype to be around it. I figured some people would like to know what to expect.  

No Caption Provided
Shutter Island starts out with a little prequel, it lets you get to know Teddy Daniels a little and his dad. His dad was a great worker. As most of the people around town often said "He can do a honest days work", which is a pretty big compliment. Him and his dad are out on his boat, while on that Teddy sees Shutter Island. Right after that it goes to the present, Teddy and Chuck Aule are on a ferry heading to Shutter Island. They take this time to get to know one another and instantly like each other. OK, almost 70% of what they show in the trailers happen in the third chapter so most of you know what it's about. They are their to try to find Rachel Solando, who escaped from her bed. Rachel murdered her kids, thought they were still alive and sat them at the dinner table and ate dinner with them. For about half of the book it's focused on that. The story really has three parts to it, but that's not for me to talk about because those would be spoilers.

The story is also about a note that Rachel left on her bed, it says:
The Law of 4
I Am 47
+You are 3
We are 4
But
Who is 67?

Teddy will later crack the code on all of them but the 67 one. The thing that bothers me about the movie is that it looks like they are focusing on the "Who is 67" part. Really they don't even suggest about the 67th patient idea until about more then half way through the book, and still they barely talk about it. Though the 67th patient idea really picks up near the end of the story. There is also another part to the story that pretty much takes over the Rachel and the 67th patient stories. It's pretty heavy. You soon learn about the real reason Teddy is at the Island.

Lehane has really made the perfect setting. He picks a remote island where there isn't another island for about eleven miles, puts a insane asylum on the island and
has a hurricane hit the island. As Teddy slowing seems to be losing his sanity, the hurricane also picks up majorly. Which is I think something Poe did great, and the story does mirror many of Poe's stories. The setting and the dialogue are the winners in this book. Not to say the story sucks, the story is good, it's just that there is to much going on with it at one time sometimes. 

The biggest problem with the book might be it's twists, not that they aren't good, they are excellent. There is just to much of them. I like it when there is one or two big twist in books, but there is like 12 goddamn big time twists in the book. About five of which are excellent, they make the book. And they all come at you one by one near the end and that makes up for the seven or so bad ones that are in the book.  When the only complaint with a book is it's twist you know the author did something right.

I have extremely HIGH expectations for the film. Maybe if I didn't read the book then they might not be as high. But the book is so well paced and so well written I think it'll be hard for Martin Scorsese to recreate it, which is the problem with most books to movie films. They can't recreate the dialogue, setting and descriptions. Still though it's a fantastic book, everyone should read it even if you don't plan on watching the movie. Lehane has written another masterpiece. 

No Caption Provided
breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By breadfan

My brother just finished reading the book and says it was very good.  I may give it a read soon.

Dr_Feelgood38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Dr_Feelgood38

Dennis Lehane is a really great author. Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone are his two other popular books (probably because they also became major films) and both are also great. I have yet to read Shutter Island but I have pretty high expectations.

Nice review.

teh_destroyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By teh_destroyer

I need to get my hands on this book, the movie looks like an oscar  winner to me.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By c1337us

I might check out the book also sounds really good.