So uh, Edge of Tomorrow is fantastic

• 111 results
Nixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

lol my wife said thats the only reason she'd watch the movie, seeing tom cruise killed over and over. but i suppose with all that said, hell i might give it a watch.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@nixx: It's really great. The best compliment I can give this movie is that I am eagerly looking forward to buying it on Blu-Ray.

Nixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By Nixx

@mikey87144: damn, didnt expect that from a tom cruise movie. well if you insist, i need a new movie to watch anyways lol

robsamuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Handled the concept better than Source Code (at least in that the ending actually worked), and hit all the right notes with story, humour, action.

I've been so far unable to convince anyone else to watch it, because the sci fi war setting turns them off.

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Handled the concept better than Source Code (at least in that the ending actually worked), and hit all the right notes with story, humour, action.

I've been so far unable to convince anyone else to watch it, because the sci fi war setting turns them off.

I've had a hard time championing it also. I sold one person on it by saying that they pulled no punches with the ways in which Tom Cruise dies. That person then comes back angry that I didn't do a better job of selling it to him.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw it last night. Pretty fantastic. The trailer sold me on it, and the film itself was good. I wish they put in a little more backstory about exactly what was going on that caused the war to happen, but it's a small gripe.

Overall, very good.

Kevin_Cogneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't think this movie is as great as people are making it out to be. The opening fifteen minutes are not only completely implausible, they're also totally unnecessary. I don't care what the circumstances are, I don't care what sort of horrifying future we're in, a military public affairs officer cannot be sold to another commanding officer like livestock, let alone be shoved onto the front lines with no training, wasting valuable equipment and manpower in the process. And then they refuse to tell him how to turn the safety of his gun off why, for spite? Regardless of who he is, he's fighting alongside them, they need every gun they can get, it's fucking stupid.

The second act of this movie: fantastic. Absolutely spectacular. From the first time he encounters Emily Blunt until he loses his power is one of the most entertaining chunks of movie I've seen in a long time.

But then that ending, I mean come the fuck on. This is a movie where thousands of soldiers are being slaughtered storming a beachhead, but six guys in a helicopter is all it takes to kill Mother Brain? This is a movie where Tom Cruise dies a thousand times trying to get to a dam that the aliens are deliberately trying to lure him to so that they can deliberately not kill him, but after losing his reset-the-day powers, Tom Cruise regains his even more valuable movie-protagonist-invincibilty powers. This movie begins and ends by insulting your intelligence, and a really good 45 minute chunk in the middle just isn't enough.

cbk486

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By cbk486

@kevin_cogneto:

I understand where you are coming from, but for me the movie earned so much credit for the middle section that I was able to go along with the ending.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Overall I really enjoyed it. It was definitely miles better then Oblivion. But the end was kinda bad action sci-fi standard.

Avatar image for boom_goes_the_dynamite
Boom_goes_the_dynamite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I saw the movie a week and a half ago, and really enjoyed it, but two things really confused me. One being the ending, which I saw someone explain, but I still don't get how the Omega is not alive after the jump backward to the start of the film. The other confusing part was the beginning, the general just decides Tom Cruise should be on the front line and probably die, maybe I missed it, but what does the general gain from this? I know he was worried about the backlash after the war for all the soldiers that will die, so does Cruise offer a scapegoat for him? Other than that I really enjoyed the film, still find it funny how Tom Cruise's last two Sci-fi films have similar concepts to Duncan Jones' last two films.

BrianP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By BrianP

@kevin_cogneto: My thoughts exactly. The setup with the general in the beginning left such a bad taste in my mouth that I sat there like "are you kidding me with this shit?" over parts that I probably would have enjoyed otherwise. And then the like super convenient, no explanation, happy ending was dumb too.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Bane

Norm and Jeremy recommended it on the Tested podcast, saying something like it was the best movie out right now that no one is going to the theater to see. Well, I went to see it yesterday and it's great! There's a lot of cool action, it's funny, and Cruise and Blunt are both terrific. It's just a lot of fun to watch.

@boom_goes_the_dynamite: Cage was a great PR guy. He sold the media and the public on the idea that they could win thanks to the exoskeletons, and a lot of people signed up to fight because of him. The General wanted Cage to do it again, this time selling them on the idea of the invasion of France. Why he had to be on the front lines to do it I'm not sure.