Somebody explain Swatch Internet Time to me

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By natetodamax

I have decided to study Swatch Internet Time until I'm so good at it that I can read a clock and instantly be able to tell what the time is in beats. I looked it up on Wikipedia and it made little sense, and then I check the official website and it sorta maybe kinda clarified things. Somebody explain the concept to me! 

I know that 1 beat = 1 minute and about 24.6 seconds or something like that.

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By hero_swe

There's a different time than UTC/GMT? 

Crazy world we live in...
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By natetodamax
@Hero_Swe said:
" There's a different time than UTC/GMT?   Crazy world we live in... "
Swatch Internet Time divides the day into 1000 beats, thus eliminating time zones.
hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hero_swe

...Hmmm. I'm all for the idea of eliminating timezones...I'm gonna google this swatch time
mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By mshaw006
@natetodamax said:
" @Hero_Swe said:
Swatch Internet Time divides the day into 1000 beats, thus eliminating time zones. "
Then when does the day change?
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By natetodamax
@mshaw006 said:

" @natetodamax said:

" @Hero_Swe said:
Swatch Internet Time divides the day into 1000 beats, thus eliminating time zones. "
Then when does the day change? "
http://www.swatch.com/zz_en/internettime.html
Steve_Ramirez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Steve_Ramirez

I too want to live in a world of swatch internet time!

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hero_swe

It's still kinda futile though, because sure. It might be the same time, but it sure as heck not gonna be the same TIME time if you get my drift, the sun in the sky is not gonna be in the same place in India as it is In Sweden at 9 Sweden time. 

And that's just the way it is, this is just man trying to create some fantasy world for himself. Trying to escape the shackles of reality. 

Also 100th post
zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By zero_

I share Jeff's crazy passion for Swatch Internet Time - now only if more than 10 people knew about it...

subrandom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By subrandom
@Zero_: only if they still made watches that supported it.
mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By mshaw006

I think it would be difficult to use when traveling, as you would have to learn at what beat the day changes wherever you are to be able to know how far you are along in the day. 

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pox22

What's to explain?  It's a system of time that eliminates time zones.  As for converting time into Swatch Internet Time, just set up a simple conversion with fractions.

Time in minutes / 1440 minutes = X beats / 1000 beats

So, for 7:33 pm...
1173/1440 = X/1000
1440X = 1173000
X = 814.58 beats

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Donos

Wouldn't the effect be identical if the whole world just ran at GMT? Swatch doesn't solve any problems, it just introduces a different measure of time from hours and seconds, introducing whole new problems on its own. There's a reason why time zones are used in the first place....

hero_swe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By hero_swe

Yeah no thanks. I was already terrible at math, no need to make it worse. GMT is fine the way it is
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

Without time zones, harvests and other essentials to actually staying alive...would be far too difficult to handle. 

If those things didn't exist, then sure, I'd be all about some Swatch Internet Time.

mshaw006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mshaw006
@Pox22 said:
" What's to explain?  It's a system of time that eliminates time zones.  As for converting time into Swatch Internet Time, just set up a simple conversion with fractions.  Time in minutes / 1440 minutes = X beats / 1000 beats  So, for 7:33 pm... 1173/1440 = X/1000 1440X = 1173000 X = 814.58 beats "
Sorry to post so much, but that's only if you're in the same time zone as Biel, Switzerland, and they're not in Daylight Savings Time. 

I don't see the functional difference between Swatch Internet Time and making Biel the new Greenwich while abolishing time zones. The minutes:beats conversion seems entirely unnecessary.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ryanwho
@Pox22 said:
" What's to explain?  It's a system of time that eliminates time zones.  As for converting time into Swatch Internet Time, just set up a simple conversion with fractions.  Time in minutes / 1440 minutes = X beats / 1000 beats  So, for 7:33 pm... 1173/1440 = X/1000 1440X = 1173000 X = 814.58 beats "
Oh dear god
Southgrove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Southgrove

It's star date, but slightly less awesome.

Pox22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pox22
@mshaw006 said:

" @Pox22 said:

Sorry to post so much, but that's only if you're in the same time zone as Biel, Switzerland, and they're not in Daylight Savings Time.  I don't see the functional difference between Swatch Internet Time and making Biel the new Greenwich while abolishing time zones. The minutes:beats conversion seems entirely unnecessary. "
This is all true.  I'm not a proponent of Swatch Internet Time (though I like to joke that I am on the basis of owning swatch stock), I was just trying to illustrate that it's a rather simple (and unnecessary) idea.

EDIT:  @ryanwho:  You don't have to be a math major to do 7th grade algebra.  I'm a history major anyways...
singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By singular

It isn't practical to use only one place on earth for reference to set time for the whole planet. But using it as a pure Internet time measure, that's another thing. But then again people can't concur on much simpler things than Internet Time so we won't have nice things there either.
Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Jadeskye

No Caption Provided
Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pinworm45

Having just heard about this and instantly formed my opinion on it, I have come to the conclusion that this will never and shouldn't ever become any kind of real-life time measuring system. We have time zones for a reason. However internet is in the title, and I can see it's uses. No more of that "This tournament takes place at 5!" 

Wait, 5 what? pst? oh god what's that in est? Oh man I calculated backwards instead of forwards and missed the tournament. 

Just give this time. Seems simple to me. 

However, then I saw they were calling their minutes or whatever .beats  

with the period at the front. 

And the pretentiousness killed my enthusiasm.