Star Wars Expanded Universe book recommendations?

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JokerSmilez

So, I'm FINALLY getting around to reading some of the Star Wars books but I'm not sure where I should start.

Does anyone have a good knowledge of this stuff and know a good starting point? Should I start with The Glove of Darth Vader and the Jedi Prince series and work my way up from there? Some people have told me it's best to start with the Thrawn Trilogy, others have said to start with the X-Wing series, others the Courtship of Princess Leia.

I'm confused. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Avatar image for holdenlafayette
HoldenLaFayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HoldenLaFayette

Thrawn Trilogy was pretty sweet.

It was a little bit like Luke and the Rebels versus Bean from Ender's Game.

Also, lizards as Jedi kryptonite.

I read them in elementary school, though, so I'm not sure if they hold up for aged folk. I remember liking the plot, at least, if not the writing itself.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By penguindust

Read the Rogue Squadron books.  The first four are really good.

1. Rogue Squadron by Michael A. Stackpole (1996)
  2. Wedge's Gamble by Michael A. Stackpole (1996)
  3. The Krytos Trap by Michael A. Stackpole (1996)
  4. The Bacta War by Michael A. Stackpole (1997)

Also the Hand of Thrawn (Specter of the Past & Vision of the Future)  books for more Mara Jade, Vector Prime for the Chewbacca plotline, and Children of the Empire from the Callista series (Children of the Jedi,  Darksaber & Planet of Twilight).  I never got around to the other two so I can't say how they are.
xerxes8933a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By xerxes8933a

I  remember really liking  The Han Solo Trilogy, and The Corellian Trilogy.  Apart from those, pretty much anything by Michael Stackpole or Timothy Zahn are good choices.

blurienh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By blurienh

Death Star by Michael Reaves is very good and gives a look at the Empire under Vader/Palapatine as more than just the bad guys to fight against that you normally see.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Willy105

Thrawn Trilogy is pretty much the de facto standard, followed by The Force Unleashed and the Clone Wars TV show.

I did not like the X-Wing books, even though it is my favorite Star Wars thing ever (the video game), I thought the book was badly written and boring. But there are tons of fans for them, so check it out!