Super Dumb Projects : PS4 with an Antenna?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By monkeyking1969
No Caption Provided

So, I thought this projects up a few forum posts ago when someone was trying to improve their wi-fi but could not use Ethernet. Well, people have tried this I'm sure, so lets call it "I thought this dumb idea up...as well"

There were somE guides on IfixIt.com that explaied how to replace a real PS4 antenna with a replacement PC4 anntenna, but I wansted to go supider. To dare the heights of stupid that only a common man would think was cool!

No Caption Provided

So, of course a 15 inch antenna that is far bigger than would really be rational. And, a way to change the antenna to other sorts just by unscrewing it - just because. So, I needed a screw in antenna and a U.FL Mini PCI to RP-SMA Pigtail Antenna WiFi Cable.

Now, since I'm a crazy person who takes things apart at work and at home, I already has a the tools...T9 Security Torx bits and such. Well, to be specific a a T9 Torx bit, a small Phillips head screw drive (the biggest jewelry size), canned air (cleaning), a soldering iron...but not for soldering, and tissues...lots of tissues...for lost or reasons

But first do some testing:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Meh, those scores are terrible. But, hey, Comcast is full of cheap [lovely people] who give the library free Internet...they never said fast. And, yeah, that picture isn't even the lowest I saw. I did three tests just to get baseline. The picture was THE BEST run...[sob]

The connection strength is where I want it. I wanted it low, so I used the connection to the access point that is three floors up so that (HOPEFULLY...the antenna shows off its stuff, right?) So, the signal strength was between a low of 45% and a high of 54%. That's my baseline. Can't really baseline the Comcast connection speed...like I said Comcast is what it is. We live on an island, it 30 miles out to see, and there is like two T1 connection out to teh whole island...you see what I'm working with here.

Here is the test chamber, a well lite room in the basement with two 60" or 70" HDTVs. I need only one TV, but for full disclosure the room has a nice setup with all sorts of tech...I work at a cool place.

No Caption Provided

That dusty line on the right side pictures in the old wifi cable and the metal bracket is the old antenna...look dumpy. The metal likely has some sort of "high tech" shape that pulls magic waves out of the Ether....nah, it is just a dumpy pieces of metal. GET RID OF IT!

No Caption Provided

So, to get this far too 5 minutes...not too bad. But now that we have the wire hooked up and close to where I wanted it. I needed to plan the hole that the brass fitting (copper?) would fit through. I used a pencil to mark where the holes shouls do on the case cover. But how to make that hole?

Drill might crack the case, unless it is very sharp. And, it is a tight spot for a drill. Moreover, the case in like 2mm to 3mm thick....so let's just melt a hole with the soldering iron! Sure - that can't go wrong!

No Caption Provided

Great little hole maker, but do go outside there will be some whiff of smoke and the smell of plastic. Heat the iron up for 3 min and plunge in. It is just a starter hole, or just something you can CAREFULLY expand out with...err some sharp scissors? Sure - that can't go wrong!

No Caption Provided

Damn! That's a nice hole, even if I do say so myself.

No Caption Provided

Well, here it is folks. Yeah, your wifi antenna is on the front left hand side, and now my big one is as well, but on the side. But does it work?

Well....ya see...it actually a bit complex. (Oh, yeah, maybe don't go to you store right away to buy the parts until you read this following bit.)

1) Yes, I improved the wi-fi reception from high-forties and mid- fifties to a gain of the low-sixties to mid-seventies. So a 20% point gain; which, I think is not too shabby at all. 20% gain is a 20% gain

No Caption Provided

2) So, I knew going-in that the wi-fi antenna and the BlueTooth antenna were that same thing - they share that connection. (Hmmm, Sony is that why download speeds are lower when they damn machine is turned on querying the controller 100 times a second? Meh, that is a question for radio wave experts. ) So, anyway, my PS4 controller is a bit wonky, it doesn't charge and it has been known to cut out. So, the controller is cutting out with this new antenna. It connects and disconnects within about a minute, but reconnects if I press the PS button, then goes out again.

The controller may have a low charge. The antenna could be the wrong geometry for bluetooth links that last over a minute. Or, spooky action at a distances is interfering or old Murphy's Law. I will have to charge-up the controller and play with it for a day or two. If in the end this new antenna sucks - well, I'll just put the old one back . I can put some black electrical tape over the hole. But, if I can get it to working reliably...well, that is a sucess. I will keep you all posted in teh days and weeks to come.

Oh, feel free to laugh, throw pop-corn, or jeer (politely, jeer, for the mods sakes please). This was all done in good fun! It was done with only a small hope of success on my parts. It was done to see what woudl happen. I'm actually rather impressed with the 20% wifi signal strength gain. It could be that I can screw in an antenna that does Bluetooth signals better....I doubt it though.

No Caption Provided

Thanks for making it this far. Have a nice weekend!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is not the kind of post I would expect to see on Giantbomb. I would expect it on hackaday or something.

Either way this is fucking cool! I didn't realize the wifi antenna and bluetooth were on the same chip. If you want to really test your theory, then I would test downloads with wired vs wireless (I am guessing the ethenet port is NOT on the same chip as the wifi. If wired is WAY faster then the wifi, then your theory might hold some water.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UPDATE:
So after a day of testing with two full charged PS4 controller I found the following:
1) My old controller, with its wonky charging, was at some fault...but not much.
2) A newer controller with a full charge linked for a few minutes, but then the communication still disconnected.

My Theory:
When a Dualshock 4 connects to a PS4 the signal strength might be higher for the "handshake" and choosing a frequency, However, once the bluetooth frequency hopping find a clear and channel works the switch to a lower power normals communications power setting eventually leads to disconnection. In the end, the antenna is just the wrong shape to keep connection locked in . After looking at a lot of bluetooth antennas they are always small, and have sharp angles or "greek key" in shape, so my longer antenna is ill suited.

The controller connects and works and all the different inputs possible do occurs for about 90 to 120 seconds, but after that time the controller disconnects. Turning the console around are moving the antenna to different XYZ coordinates does not seem to help in any discernible way (that took the longest to check).

Conclusions: There is likely a way to add a better antenna that IS more efficient, but it really does have to be an antenna that has a size/shape meant for bluetooth. But since the antenna needs to be positioned away from the PCB and isolated there likely are not many "other options that can be purchased". A custom made/ home made antenna lilley would be the solution, but to make one woudl take study, measuring, and testing with equipment/software to tune the antenna correctly. Because Wi-fi is of higher power is can use the less ideal antenna, but not the other way around.

PS:
I have reinstalled the "old" antenna and the PS4 works fine. A grand adventure that was useful, if the adage that even failure is worthwhile holds true.

ultragamerockx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Nah, antenna's are a bit old school now, but the picture in this article makes the antenna look like a drumstick.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By splodge

@monkeyking1969: @monkeyking1969: hey Fellers, sorry to bump this old post but did this all work out in the end? My nephew has a base original model ps4 and I think his antenna is borked, I put my ps4 right beside his and got 20mb download, his was 160kbps.

I am pretty sure I could install a new antenna like this I am handy enough with that kind of stuff.

EDit - nevermind silly me didnt notice the second post. Any idea if there is an antenna that works out there, that is not the type that comes with the original ps4?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By monkeyking1969

Wow, this question has been coming up elsewhere too. Also, be warned the current generation of PS4 and PS4 Pro now requires a TR9 Torx Security Screwdriver.

My advice is to just replace the old PS4 antenna with a new one -- yeah, I know dull. I say this because the PS4 requires ONE antenna to do double duty both wifi and Bluetooth, so experimenting might be hit or miss. Given you might need the TR9 Torx Security Screwdriver and the replacement antenna, I would just replace it....less work and headaches.

iFixIt has a good guide.

I
F YOU REALLY NEED TO EXPERIMENT WITH SOMETHING BETTER....WELL

Remember:
Termination Style = U.FL
Type = 2.4GHz Antennas - 2.4GHz, 5GHz, Bluetooth, BLE, Thread, WiFi, WLAN, Zigbee, Xbee

Direct sales of antenna can be done through MOUSER ELECTRONICS®, or you could look one up on Mouser and see if Amazon.com might sell it too.

splodge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By splodge

@monkeyking1969: hey dude, yeah i just ordered a replacement antenna. Will let yall know how it goes. He has his ps4 beside the router today and getting 5mpbs heh.

He has a original model ps4, I wont need some crazy screwdriver wil I?

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@splodge said:

@monkeyking1969: hey dude, yeah i just ordered a replacement antenna. Will let yall know how it goes. He has his ps4 beside the router today and getting 5mpbs heh.

He has a original model ps4, I wont need some crazy screwdriver wil I?

Nope, I had a launch machine, I got in where I needed to go with a "philips head". Good luck.

frytup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By frytup

I approve of this ridiculous project. Congrats on drilling a nice hole.