The beginning

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By laticsfan

So I am entering my final few months at 6th form college, and will soon be departing for University.

Why do I care? I hear you ask, well the course I will be studying is Computer games development/programming. And so I thought I would begin my story on here, incase anyone is interested , and hopefully some people may be able to give me some advice, and someone may even be able to take advice from me.

So anywho, starting from the beginning, I started 6th form doing:
Mathematics
Engineering
Physics
Mechanics
General studies
History

And basically because I was a complete and utter idiot, I failed my first year and had to do it again, (I did however pass history and so I was alowed to carry onto the A level section.) This was mainly due to a love of heavy metal and bear (or the fact i went to download festival when i had a physics exam on the friday it started.) So I began my first year.....again. This time without the maths and mechanics, because there was no way i was going to pass maths, and unfortunatly you can't to mechanics without doing maths. So anyway at the end of my second year i ended up with a D in history A level and i only carried on with Physics, General studies and i decieded to retake two of my history modules. And to cut a long and quite frankly boring story short, at the start of my third year I applied for uni and got offers back from Preston, Bolton, and Derby.  I accepted Preston as my firm choice and Bolton as my backup choice, obviously this is because I would much rather go to Preston and I need to do a foundation year to get onto the full course at Bolton. I need 220 ucas points to get into Preston and 120 to get into Bolton. Due to the situation i found myself in I already have 110 Ucas points and so a pass at A level would give me more than enough to get into Bolton. However I will need a B,C and a E to get into Preston at the end of this year.

So to get into Preston it will be an extremly tight finnish, thusly for the rest of the year my fingers are crossed.

So what I would like to know is if you have already been on/or are currently on a games development course at uni, what did you achieve? what do you hope to achieve? Did you find it hard getting a job once you finnished your course? What did you go on to do?

And mainly do you have any advice for me? Advice from anyone is more than welcome.

laticsfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By laticsfan

So I am entering my final few months at 6th form college, and will soon be departing for University.

Why do I care? I hear you ask, well the course I will be studying is Computer games development/programming. And so I thought I would begin my story on here, incase anyone is interested , and hopefully some people may be able to give me some advice, and someone may even be able to take advice from me.

So anywho, starting from the beginning, I started 6th form doing:
Mathematics
Engineering
Physics
Mechanics
General studies
History

And basically because I was a complete and utter idiot, I failed my first year and had to do it again, (I did however pass history and so I was alowed to carry onto the A level section.) This was mainly due to a love of heavy metal and bear (or the fact i went to download festival when i had a physics exam on the friday it started.) So I began my first year.....again. This time without the maths and mechanics, because there was no way i was going to pass maths, and unfortunatly you can't to mechanics without doing maths. So anyway at the end of my second year i ended up with a D in history A level and i only carried on with Physics, General studies and i decieded to retake two of my history modules. And to cut a long and quite frankly boring story short, at the start of my third year I applied for uni and got offers back from Preston, Bolton, and Derby.  I accepted Preston as my firm choice and Bolton as my backup choice, obviously this is because I would much rather go to Preston and I need to do a foundation year to get onto the full course at Bolton. I need 220 ucas points to get into Preston and 120 to get into Bolton. Due to the situation i found myself in I already have 110 Ucas points and so a pass at A level would give me more than enough to get into Bolton. However I will need a B,C and a E to get into Preston at the end of this year.

So to get into Preston it will be an extremly tight finnish, thusly for the rest of the year my fingers are crossed.

So what I would like to know is if you have already been on/or are currently on a games development course at uni, what did you achieve? what do you hope to achieve? Did you find it hard getting a job once you finnished your course? What did you go on to do?

And mainly do you have any advice for me? Advice from anyone is more than welcome.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Origina1Penguin
This thread might help you out.  Not much advice in it yet though.
PowerSerj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By PowerSerj

I just finished my first year of a Game Development course, and to be quite honest, I didn't achieve as much as I had hoped to. The majority of the work was math and programming (duh), and while the math courses aren't a problem, I found myself having more trouble than expected in the programming courses. Now I'm not too sure if this is due to me not understaning the material, or (the more likely of the problems) me not applying myself. It doesn't help that code monkey isn't my ideal career path, as I would want a more creative role in the development process. The one piece of advice i can give you is this: don't procrastinate, and do all of the work assigned to you. Seriously, there's nothing worse than trying to finish an assignment the night before it's due and not having a clue as to how to get it done.