The Giant Bomb Fitness Thread

Labbo94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Labbo94

I can't be the only Bomber here interested in getting in shape. Anyone else like to mix gaming with a healthy lifestyle?

Since February, I've been eating all-natural food and exercising every day. I can post my routine, stats, pictures, etc. if anyone's interested, but basically I've dropped about 25 lbs. and 2" on my waist while gaining muscle. Who's with me?

Consider this an all-purpose topic for tips, suggestions, advice for beginners, bragging, or motivation.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By KaosAngel

...I don't eat food or drink water from sunrise to sunset...does that count?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

I should really start eating better. One of these days my metabolism's gonna slow down.

Labbo94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Labbo94
@KaosAngel:  I believe you're looking for the vampires page. 

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By BraveToaster

Push-ups and Sit-ups when you wake up and before you sleep.

Fapping with weights around your wrists is a workout that I just thought up. Does it work? No fucking clue. 

deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By deathstroke75

getting in shape is alway good.  i recommend checking out P90X for a brutal 90 day routine...it is by far some of the best exercises I have done, and you start seeing results fast.  also, check out jiu-jitsu or a martial arts class, great way to stay in shape and learn some great stuff.  when i hit my late 20's my metabolism just seemed like it stopped....can't just eat a whole pizza and slam down some oreos without paying for it these days.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By crusader8463

Would love to, but the furthest I ever get is saying to myself "YA! I'M GOING TO GET IN SHAPE! I'M FUCKING TIRED OF THIS SHIT!" then I stand up, get winded/tired, say screw it that's too much work, sit back down in front of my PC and go back to gaming. 

While I admit to being a card carrying member of the lazy brigade, I honestly just have such a low opinion my self, and a negative outlook on life itself as a whole, that I just can never get motivated to care enough to want to try and get in shape. About a week ago I tried getting in shape by eating better, and I started going outside and walking around my yard, I have a long driveway, and I was doing it a few times a day. I never felt any better or worse doing this until one day after doing it for about a week, I woke up and could literally not move I was in so much pain. It took me about a week to recover to the point that I could walk down the hallway to the bathroom and back without feeling like my arms and legs were being ripped out of my sockets with every inch I moved.

Dr_VonBoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Dr_VonBoogie

I've been working out a bit my self since April, and I must say I am enjoying every bit of it even though I'm not seeing as much fat loss as I'd except to see at this point I am losing fat.

MadeinFinland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By MadeinFinland

I'm fat and lazy. Well, quite the opposite of fat, but I deserve to be fat..

Labbo94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Labbo94
@deathstroke75:  Although expensive and a bit infomercial-ish at times, P90X is a very good fat loss program if you're dedicated. I did it for about 3 weeks before going back to my own routine (I just prefer more static exercises with weights and such, versus bodyweight).
Faint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Faint
@Axxol:  1 set 500 reps for massive triceps?
bcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bcc

I haven't worked out in months and I feel like crap because of it. I've lost 15 pounds or so but it was almost all muscle. I just don't have the money to spend on food anymore; when I was lifting weights I was eating 1000 calories just for breakfast. Eating that much food gets pretty expensive.

As soon as the salmonella scare with eggs is over I think I'll get back into lifting since eggs are super cheap and I can make them a staple of my diet. I'm thinking of going low-carb this time though, which will limit my options when it comes to cheap food.

Sh4ft3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Sh4ft3d

Training for a half-marathon in November. 

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

I walk alot every day, but I am in pretty bad shape.  I'm like 6'6 and I weight about 175.  I was in a car accident when I was little and it messed up the part of my brain that regulates weight...I think it's the thyroid...so I have alot of trouble both putting on weight and keeping it on.  I do eat well though, but I need to put on more weight.

Win

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Win

Not entirely on topic here but everyone in this thread should  watch this video for motivation.

BetonneTom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BetonneTom

recently lost some weight eating only soup, fruit and vegetables for a week. it some kind of special diet that only lasts a week. lost about 10 pounds or so. 
 Thing with me, is boundaries. with other methods its really easy to give into temptation because you are also eating other stuff. with this diet there is no grey area. you know what you can eat and what you can't.  
Plus it's pretty hardcore, so once you finish you will feel like a bad ass, and it give's lazy dudes like myself a sense of accomplishment. 

I could translate the schedule if anyone's interested  

bcc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By bcc
@chocolaterhinovampire said:
" I walk alot every day, but I am in pretty bad shape.  I'm like 6'6 and I weight about 175.  I was in a car accident when I was little and it messed up the part of my brain that regulates weight...I think it's the thyroid...so I have alot of trouble both putting on weight and keeping it on. "
175 is really thin for someone who's 6'6. Have you ever taken medication for your thyroid? I had hyperthyroidism when I was younger and I was really thin and unhealthy. The medication helped a lot with both my mental and physical health. I'll have to take the medication for the rest of my life but I feel like garbage when I don't take it and I get the generic kind for $4 a month so it's really cheap.
Hairy_Fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hairy_Fish

Gym 5 times a week.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By BraveToaster
@Faint said:
" @Axxol:  1 set 500 reps for massive triceps? "
Sounds like a plan!
EvilMuffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EvilMuffin

I run 5k 3 times a week.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#21  Edited By armaan8014

I play a looot of football (soccer). Also, I prefer to run to close-by places rather than take a bus.

Avatar image for chocolaterhinovampire
chocolaterhinovampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

@bcc: I am in the process of trying to get some right now, but I am already on certain medication for anxiety/depression due to my accident and I can barely afford that on a monthly basis.  It's become a bigger issue as of late with my gf and family noticing that I am loosing weight quicker so I really hope I can find something.  Also I think a big contributing factor is school.  I am going for my master in history this year with a 2nd teachable in Political Science...I graduated on the Dean's List with honors which I can only attribute to hard work and a solid work ethic, but the stress is all encompassing.
Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

#23  Edited By Kidavenger

Something that really helped me get started and stick to it was listening to the bombcast and other podcasts while I walk or go to the gym.

RandomHero666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By RandomHero666
@chocolaterhinovampire said:
" I walk alot every day, but I am in pretty bad shape.  I'm like 6'6 and I weight about 175.  I was in a car accident when I was little and it messed up the part of my brain that regulates weight...I think it's the thyroid...so I have alot of trouble both putting on weight and keeping it on.  I do eat well though, but I need to put on more weight. "
I'm the same height as you, but 15lbs lighter.
Fat people don't realize how horrible it is to be skinny.
I eat shitloads, but never put on any weight
Glak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Glak

Push ups and sit ups every morning and night, I go to my school's gym to work out the major muscles
I also play tennis at least 4 times a week, jog to close places such as my school or the library
I only drink water, no soft drinks
Too bad I can't control myself when I eat though :P

deathstroke75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26  Edited By deathstroke75
@Labbo94 said:
" @deathstroke75:  Although expensive and a bit infomercial-ish at times, P90X is a very good fat loss program if you're dedicated. I did it for about 3 weeks before going back to my own routine (I just prefer more static exercises with weights and such, versus bodyweight). "
try out the biceps routine....you are guaranteed to have difficulty shampooing your hair or really anything with your arms afterwards, they are so blown out afterwards.   he might be annoying at times...but Tony, the host, gets the job done and as with anything it's all in what you put into it.
donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#27  Edited By donutfever

I haven't really changed how I eat, which isn't good, but I run for 30/45 mins a day, basically how I listen to podcasts now.

Avatar image for fancifulunicorn
fancifulunicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By fancifulunicorn

I completed the hundred pushup challenge thinggy while listening to the podcast.  It took longer than 6 weeks but whatevs.  
http://hundredpushups.com/ 
I also got first in a 5k a couple weeks ago.

spiredcrescent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By spiredcrescent

i agree with deathstroke ive been doing kung fu for years, and p90x is good to boot

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Bragging right? Well I did another 2.5 hour krav maga test of non stop fighting. Broke a toe since I kicked someone full power in the shin, twisted my ankle ground fighting, muscles are sore. I go there like 4X per week.   

Routine is always different in krav, for the first 20 minutes you do like pushups, situps and they always vary it. Sometimes you are hitting a pad, other times you are doing other exercises, however using your own body weight. I hate it, I rather just learn techniques right away like everywhere else. Then the rest of the time is devoted to krav, sparring, or weapon disarming. I might take a week off, my muscles are killing me after my last test and my toe hurts. Honestly if it wasn't for my instructors, I wouldn't have any motivation to exercise or do anything. I still think martial arts is a great way to get a good workout that's varied, I highly recommend MMA training if your interested.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31  Edited By Castiel

I don't know what you are talking about! I'm in great shape! 

This was taken at my 20th birthday: 

No Caption Provided
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32  Edited By MysteriousBob

If I lost any weight then I would vanish.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mesklinite

I'm on my 3rd week of doing P90x and I've lost 17 pounds so far. But man. I miss pasta, bread and junk food. *cry* well at least it's working!

harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By harinosho

i lack the self motivation for working out. i eat healthy though.. wouldn't look good in a speedo.. but i do eat healthy. 

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

I'm not fat, just got a bit out of shape sense getting out of school, I'm starting Insanity again and will post my end results.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By turbomonkey138

I'm sure someone has made on of these ...

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By turbomonkey138
@Labbo94 said:
" I can't be the only Bomber here interested in getting in shape. Anyone else like to mix gaming with a healthy lifestyle?  Since February, I've been eating all-natural food and exercising every day. I can post my routine, stats, pictures, etc. if anyone's interested, but basically I've dropped about 25 lbs. and 2" on my waist while gaining muscle. Who's with me?  Consider this an all-purpose topic for tips, suggestions, advice for beginners, bragging, or motivation. "
Found it  http://www.giantbomb.com/profile/epicsteve/easy-ass-ways-to-stay-in-shape-and-be-healthy/30-54457/
McSmunions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By McSmunions

i'm about 5'7" 130 lbs. i'm trying to gain weight while also getting fit, i'm looking into getting a weight bench so i'll look for advice on that soon enough. but for now i'm wondering if there any diets out there for gaining healthy weight, or if someone can point me in the right direction. i've been running 2 miles every two days at a 10 minute pace on the treadmill, with a small ab routine daily for about a month now. any suggestions or sites for good eating?

Epic Steve's post is actually what got me back on the horse for working out. i used to be able to run 40 miles a week...now not so much. but i miss running those distances and i've been wanting to get back into the road race scene. so if anyone also has some running workouts they'd like to share that'd be awesome too. 

after re-reading this i sound kinda crazy for wanting to gain weight while simultaneously looking to run long distances again, is this unrealistic? or is there some balance i'm missing? i needs tips yo!

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#39  Edited By jkz

Yup. I work out 7 days a week, 5 of those days being 40-minute, high-intensity workouts. I do most of my work at home, since I've never been a huge proponent of the gym, but I generally work with dumb-bells combined with body weight shift exercises, and also do some bench work with bar-bells. 

In general, I watch my body-fat percentage, and use that as a guide for how I'm doing. I'm a true Ectomorph, though, so at 5'9" I hover at between 140-145 pounds with a 5-7% BF%.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By sodiumCyclops

Good to see some other users getting fit!

I have been running and doing crunches for around 5 weeks.

Started off running 3kms for about 2 weeks and have progressed to 6kms every 2nd day and 100 crunches every day.

Avatar image for ravenousrattler
Ravenousrattler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By Ravenousrattler

lift weights, build muscle, increase metabolism, fuck healthy eating

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By iam3green

i do some crunches 40 of them. 

20 pounds dumbells. i do my biceps, work on my shoulders, bench press.

tomance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By tomance

I started weight training basically a year ago.  I'm 5'8 153lbs.  I started out at 136.  By next summer I'm hoping to be between 160-165.  That's a decent size for someone my size and build.

foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By foggel

Yeah, I've been working out a couple of months now. I don't regard me as "fit" though. But I'm getting there. 
I'm 168 cm (5' 8), weigh 66 kg (145 pounds).
I mainly lift weights, and I'm currently doing 5 reps, 5 sets with:
Deadlift: 85 kg (187 pounds)
Squat: 82,5 kg (182 pounds)
Bench press: 70 kg (154 pounds)

I also do a lot of other excersises, but I guess it's these that count. Bench press isn't going that well, but the two others I keep getting better at. I increase by 2,5 kg every session.

Labbo94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Labbo94
@foggel said:
"  Yeah, I've been working out a couple of months now. I don't regard me as "fit" though. But I'm getting there.  I'm 168 cm (5' 8), weigh 66 kg (145 pounds). I mainly lift weights, and I'm currently doing 5 reps, 5 sets with: Deadlift: 85 kg (187 pounds) Squat: 82,5 kg (182 pounds) Bench press: 70 kg (154 pounds)  I also do a lot of other excersises, but I guess it's these that count. Bench press isn't going that well, but the two others I keep getting better at. I increase by 2,5 kg every session. "
Keep it up man, we actually have pretty similar stats. You actually have very solid numbers. I'm 5' 11", 160 lbs. 

Deadlift: 175 lbs.
Bench: 150 lbs.
Squat: (No squat rack at my home gym, I do jumping squats with 35 lbs. plates)

Keep it up. Tomorrow's back and biceps day for me, which means lots of deadlifts, rows, pull-ups, and curls. Love it :)
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By foggel
@Labbo94: Thanks :) You're doing good yourself. I have the exact same day tomorrow. Deadlifts, rows, pull-downs and curls.
 But you have a home gym? Nice, but you can't really call it a gym without a squat rack! ;)

We should post our progression in this thread or something.
AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By AhmadMetallic

FITNESS on GIANTBOMB ? a website about VIDEO GAMES? run by RYAN and JEFF ? 

you. mad.

Labbo94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Labbo94
@foggel said:

" @Labbo94: Thanks :) You're doing good yourself. I have the exact same day tomorrow. Deadlifts, rows, pull-downs and curls.  But you have a home gym? Nice, but you can't really call it a gym without a squat rack! ;)  We should post our progression in this thread or something. "

I know, I know. Squatz and oatz. I've been meaning to look around Craigslist for a decent squat rack, but I'm running out of space and am a little low on cash. I'll go snap some pics later though, just to upload on here. It's nothing fancy, but a whole lot of benches and rusty weights. Pretty cool in an old school sorta way.

And yeah, progression would be good.

EDIT:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
foggel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By foggel
@Labbo94: That photo of you, that's crazy! You look totally different, good for you. Unfortunately I don't have any before / after of me.

That's a nice gym you got there :) All you truly need is a squat rack, and it's complete.