The InFamous Choice

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Edited By Stealthoneill

Has been so long since I not only used this blog but visited this site! So many changes since my last visit it has been a little overwhelming catching up on missed blogs and podcasts and stuff, those people whom I usually check up on and pop in to see this blog I am getting round to catching up and loving what I am seeing so far. Anyone else who stumbles across this be sure to check out DBoys Den and JohnnyAvacado’s video blogs, they can provide some good weekend entertainment!

So what have I been playing? Honestly, not much! I’ve been working like 6 days week to earn some time off over the summer to enjoy the sun, sea and sand. Although I did take this Bank Holiday off to enjoy some games that I have been collecting and have had sitting on the shelf for the past few months.

Isaac Clarke, Posing in his new suit
If you follow me on Twitter you will know I have been really sucked in to Dead Space recently, I picked it up months ago and put a couple of hours down at the beginning but after that never really pushed forward with it. Being bored one day I threw it on and hoped it would fill the gap until I had to leave, but to my surprise I found a great atmospheric, shuddering and evil game. I find myself so drawn in to Isaac Clarke’s universe that playing in the middle of the night unnerves me to a point I stop and put something else on. I haven’t had that feeling since back playing the first Resident Evil when I was a teenager so it’s an enjoyable feeling! Currently working on slowly making my way through chapter 10, it has fast become my go to game to fill some space and destroy some boredom.

I tried to pick up UFC the other day, but to my surprise it was completely sold out everywhere. The guy behind the counter informed me it would be two weeks until they get more stock. Since when do fighting games run out of stock?! Looking around the shop I found a gem, a game I have heard very little about but knew it had only just come out. I knew a couple of people around here were quite hyped so I decided to spend my cash on a whim and pick it up, this game is obviously Infamous. Got it home yesterday and literally struggled to put it down when I had to, everything feels extremely polished and fun, Sucker Punch have even found a way to make the Parkour aspects fun and engaging something I see as a big step up from games like Assassins Creed. The Combat just works, the different powers make for some pretty interesting combat scenarios and I find myself trying things differently with every encounter. I have played through and ‘freed’ most of the neon district, doing side missions before story and I have just been introduced to the characters nemesis so I am interested to see how these things will play out in the long run.

No Caption Provided
 There appears to be a whole host of mission types that I am unlocking all the time which will make the play through much easier. Currently playing on the good side of Karma choices, but I am certainly enjoying the fact these decisions aren’t made through decision trees or cut scenes but in game and in the middle of the action. You want to destroy that gate, killing all those citizens? Then you charge the power up for it! An interesting take on a very tired and over used concept!

As for the story I love how it plays out, comic cuts with some pretty good cut scenes. I was surprised that this has a feel of the TV show Heroes, not sure though, whether that a good comparison to make or not considering what’s happened to it.

You will have to forgive the lack of proper structure in this blog, I had planned to say so much more but I am tired and my lunch break at work is almost over. More to come soon and I won’t leave this space empty as long as I have been...

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Stealthoneill

Has been so long since I not only used this blog but visited this site! So many changes since my last visit it has been a little overwhelming catching up on missed blogs and podcasts and stuff, those people whom I usually check up on and pop in to see this blog I am getting round to catching up and loving what I am seeing so far. Anyone else who stumbles across this be sure to check out DBoys Den and JohnnyAvacado’s video blogs, they can provide some good weekend entertainment!

So what have I been playing? Honestly, not much! I’ve been working like 6 days week to earn some time off over the summer to enjoy the sun, sea and sand. Although I did take this Bank Holiday off to enjoy some games that I have been collecting and have had sitting on the shelf for the past few months.

If you follow me on Twitter you will know I have been really sucked in to Dead Space recently, I picked it up months ago and put a couple of hours down at the beginning but after that never really pushed forward with it. Being bored one day I threw it on and hoped it would fill the gap until I had to leave, but to my surprise I found a great atmospheric, shuddering and evil game. I find myself so drawn in to Isaac Clarke’s universe that playing in the middle of the night unnerves me to a point I stop and put something else on. I haven’t had that feeling since back playing the first Resident Evil when I was a teenager so it’s an enjoyable feeling! Currently working on slowly making my way through chapter 10, it has fast become my go to game to fill some space and destroy some boredom.

I tried to pick up UFC the other day, but to my surprise it was completely sold out everywhere. The guy behind the counter informed me it would be two weeks until they get more stock. Since when do fighting games run out of stock?! Looking around the shop I found a gem, a game I have heard very little about but knew it had only just come out. I knew a couple of people around here were quite hyped so I decided to spend my cash on a whim and pick it up, this game is obviously Infamous. Got it home yesterday and literally struggled to put it down when I had to, everything feels extremely polished and fun, Sucker Punch have even found a way to make the Parkour aspects fun and engaging something I see as a big step up from games like Assassins Creed. The Combat just works, the different powers make for some pretty interesting combat scenarios and I find myself trying things differently with every encounter. I have played through and ‘freed’ most of the neon district, doing side missions before story and I have just been introduced to the characters nemesis so I am interested to see how these things will play out in the long run.

No Caption Provided
 There appears to be a whole host of mission types that I am unlocking all the time which will make the play through much easier. Currently playing on the good side of Karma choices, but I am certainly enjoying the fact these decisions aren’t made through decision trees or cut scenes but in game and in the middle of the action. You want to destroy that gate, killing all those citizens? Then you charge the power up for it! An interesting take on a very tired and over used concept!

As for the story I love how it plays out, comic cuts with some pretty good cut scenes. I was surprised that this has a feel of the TV show Heroes, not sure though, whether that a good comparison to make or not considering what’s happened to it.

You will have to forgive the lack of proper structure in this blog, I had planned to say so much more but I am tired and my lunch break at work is almost over. More to come soon and I won’t leave this space empty as long as I have been...

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

Only thing I'll say is that I don't think InFamous' parkour aspects are a step up from Assassin's Creed, but a different style.  They are sticky and less smooth, which is completely makes sense in this game where you can constantly be engaged in combat and climbing at once.  Assassin's Creed is much more subtle and that works for a game where you're more methodic in your climbing.  I don't think one is superior, they both work for their games.

Otherwise, good post man.  Enjoy the games.  Playing through InFamous now and liking it and really had a great time with Dead Space.

Megalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Megalo

On another note, which path is harder to stay on?

Like in True Crime it was much easier to be a bad cop than a good cop, is it the same for this game?

DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By DBoy

Thanks for the shout out man.

As for inFAMOUS, it is a marvelous game.  I can't seem to be able to put it down one second.

Stealthoneill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Stealthoneill

You are right, it is a different stlye of Free running and I suppose it all depends on what you want out of it and how you want to play!

I haven't really played much of the bad side, the little I have played does seem quite even! Interesting point though, would be good to hear from someone who has played both sides to see just how even they have made it. 
Avatar image for deactivated-66389f20962dc
deactivated-66389f20962dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm getting inFamous here in a couple of days - sure hope I find it as good as everyone else.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By Gizmo

I honestly do not understand why anybody would buy a full-price single-player game.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud
Gizmo said:
I honestly do not understand why anybody would buy a full-price single-player game.
Uh... because they want to?
Avatar image for randominternetuser
RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
Gizmo said: I honestly do not understand why anybody would buy a full-price single-player game. Uh... because they want to? [more]
Yeah.. maybe someone wants to own it so they can replay it, and go back and get achievements and collectibles and such.  Maybe someone doesn't have enough time to finish the campaign in the time given for a rental.  Also, do you think developers will keep making awesome games like InFamous and Dead Space if no one buys them because they single-player games?
ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ahriman22
Megalo said:
On another note, which path is harder to stay on?Like in True Crime it was much easier to be a ... [more]

It's always harder to stay good than to stay bad.

No matter what game.

Okay, maybe Fable 2 was easy on the good path.

Time_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By Time_Lord
Gizmo said:
You Sir are why we have games that have terrible multilayer like RE5's versus mode or Fable 2s bad co op not every game needs multilayer to be fun. Fallout 3 as an example comes to mind.
donwoogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By donwoogie
Gizmo said:
I don't care much for online multiplayer.  Especially on consoles.
Guess it's different strokes for different folks.

As for the climbing system.  I prefer it to Assassin's Creed.  It's a lot less smooth and steamlined which I like since climbing buildings was just super easy AC, then again, that was my main gripe with the whole game overall (1 button attack? Really?).