The Number 23-Review

bonesaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 11

Edited By bonesaw

When I first heard of this film and who the starring character was, I thought: there is no way in hell this going to work. This though was mainly due to the fact that the main character, a humble dog catcher named Walter Sparrow, was played by the enthusiastic and hilarious Jim Carrey.  Never in a million years would have thought the guy who starred in The Mask back in the mid-90's, was same man who played a disturbed, twisted character in The Number 23.  However, despite this notion in my mind that there was no way Carrey could pull this role off, I was intrigued by the overall concept that a simple number could be related to so many horrible events such as the bombing of Hiroshima and the day Ted Bundy was executed.  So, with all of this in mind, I went into the film expecting a semi-decent thriller, with sub-par acting from Jim Carrey playing a serious role for the first time.  Boy was I wrong. I cam out of that film feeling a sense of creepy paranoia that the number was all around me and if even began to start adding the numbers of my birth date it would inevitably equal the dreaded number 23(which it did ironically).  OK, maybe I wasn't that freaked out, but I still came away from it feeling like I just watched not only a decent thriller, but a pinnacle moment in Jim Carrey's career as a superb actor.

The basic premise of the story revolves around a simple, laid back dog catcher, who is seemingly unexcited to celebrate his birthday.  That is until his wife, Agatha Sparrow (Virginia Madsen), gives him a seemingly, at first, interesting paper back titled of course The Number 23.  At first Walter thinks nothing of it, but as he reads chapter after chapter of the extremely detailed and dark tale, he discovers that this book has much more in common with his life than he ever expected.  From their, its up to Walter to figure who the strange author is that wrote this book which shares so many details with his personal life.  While at first, the plot just seems like another average thriller (shocking moment of discovery, with the inevitable quest for why these strange events are happening), it separates itself from the group by introducing the characters of the actual story as Walter Sparrow, who in the story is the cold and curious detective known simply as Fingerling.  With his wife, Agatha Sparrow, playing Fingerling's adventurous and twisted lover Fabrizia.  What makes this so interesting is that portrays both the main characters from outside the story as their exact opposites.  At the same time though, through these differences, we the striking similarities between Fingerling and Sparrow, in both their childhood's and the eventual terror that consumes them as they slowly exposed to the evil of the number 23.
    The acting is believable, and definitely helps make the movie feel that much more real and creepy, especially when Jim Carrey narrates the novel in the depressed, yet seductive voice of the disturbed Fingerling.  Carrey's co-star also does a fairly good job at acting as both a comforting wife and mother, and as the seductive and manipulative love interest to Fingerling.  Besides these two, the acting overall is solid, except with a few missteps from the minor characters, especially Robin Sparrow (Logan Lerman), who at times doesn't really seem terribly surprised or disturbed at extreme turns in the plot.  However, this doesn't in any way shape or film scar the film, it simply just takes you out of the experience if only for a second.
    The story is especially well done, with several moments of shocking plot twists and turns which will make you keep changing your mind on who the culprit is.  As I said before, the narrations are especially well written and delivered, which really help immerse you in the disturbing experience of Walter's life, as he reads chapter after chapter, and delves deeper and deeper into unknown biographical writing of life which he doesn't remember.  The ending is a little bit of a let down but at the same time really makes you think about the capabilities of the number 23 and how much of a relevance it really does have on real tragic events.
    Simply put, The Number 23 is one of those films that you just don't expect much from initially.  I went into that film expecting another lackluster thriller with sub-par acting and predictable plot twists.  What got, was one of the most imaginative and twisted, not only thrillers, but one of the most enjoyable and memorable films of 2007 and is easily one of my favorite films of all time.  So, if you passed this film up the first go around, do yourself a favor and rent this film immediately.  You'll be on the edge of your seat until the disturbing conclusion of who wrote the book is revealed in all its twisted glory.
5.0/5.0
"you can call me Fingerling."

bonesaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By bonesaw

When I first heard of this film and who the starring character was, I thought: there is no way in hell this going to work. This though was mainly due to the fact that the main character, a humble dog catcher named Walter Sparrow, was played by the enthusiastic and hilarious Jim Carrey.  Never in a million years would have thought the guy who starred in The Mask back in the mid-90's, was same man who played a disturbed, twisted character in The Number 23.  However, despite this notion in my mind that there was no way Carrey could pull this role off, I was intrigued by the overall concept that a simple number could be related to so many horrible events such as the bombing of Hiroshima and the day Ted Bundy was executed.  So, with all of this in mind, I went into the film expecting a semi-decent thriller, with sub-par acting from Jim Carrey playing a serious role for the first time.  Boy was I wrong. I cam out of that film feeling a sense of creepy paranoia that the number was all around me and if even began to start adding the numbers of my birth date it would inevitably equal the dreaded number 23(which it did ironically).  OK, maybe I wasn't that freaked out, but I still came away from it feeling like I just watched not only a decent thriller, but a pinnacle moment in Jim Carrey's career as a superb actor.

The basic premise of the story revolves around a simple, laid back dog catcher, who is seemingly unexcited to celebrate his birthday.  That is until his wife, Agatha Sparrow (Virginia Madsen), gives him a seemingly, at first, interesting paper back titled of course The Number 23.  At first Walter thinks nothing of it, but as he reads chapter after chapter of the extremely detailed and dark tale, he discovers that this book has much more in common with his life than he ever expected.  From their, its up to Walter to figure who the strange author is that wrote this book which shares so many details with his personal life.  While at first, the plot just seems like another average thriller (shocking moment of discovery, with the inevitable quest for why these strange events are happening), it separates itself from the group by introducing the characters of the actual story as Walter Sparrow, who in the story is the cold and curious detective known simply as Fingerling.  With his wife, Agatha Sparrow, playing Fingerling's adventurous and twisted lover Fabrizia.  What makes this so interesting is that portrays both the main characters from outside the story as their exact opposites.  At the same time though, through these differences, we the striking similarities between Fingerling and Sparrow, in both their childhood's and the eventual terror that consumes them as they slowly exposed to the evil of the number 23.
    The acting is believable, and definitely helps make the movie feel that much more real and creepy, especially when Jim Carrey narrates the novel in the depressed, yet seductive voice of the disturbed Fingerling.  Carrey's co-star also does a fairly good job at acting as both a comforting wife and mother, and as the seductive and manipulative love interest to Fingerling.  Besides these two, the acting overall is solid, except with a few missteps from the minor characters, especially Robin Sparrow (Logan Lerman), who at times doesn't really seem terribly surprised or disturbed at extreme turns in the plot.  However, this doesn't in any way shape or film scar the film, it simply just takes you out of the experience if only for a second.
    The story is especially well done, with several moments of shocking plot twists and turns which will make you keep changing your mind on who the culprit is.  As I said before, the narrations are especially well written and delivered, which really help immerse you in the disturbing experience of Walter's life, as he reads chapter after chapter, and delves deeper and deeper into unknown biographical writing of life which he doesn't remember.  The ending is a little bit of a let down but at the same time really makes you think about the capabilities of the number 23 and how much of a relevance it really does have on real tragic events.
    Simply put, The Number 23 is one of those films that you just don't expect much from initially.  I went into that film expecting another lackluster thriller with sub-par acting and predictable plot twists.  What got, was one of the most imaginative and twisted, not only thrillers, but one of the most enjoyable and memorable films of 2007 and is easily one of my favorite films of all time.  So, if you passed this film up the first go around, do yourself a favor and rent this film immediately.  You'll be on the edge of your seat until the disturbing conclusion of who wrote the book is revealed in all its twisted glory.
5.0/5.0
"you can call me Fingerling."

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By TwoOneFive

5/5 are you kidding me????? LMFAO!!!!!

2/5 AT MOST

this movie was an insult to my intelligence. 

he needs to stick to smart films like Eternal Sunshine or straight up comedies. 

"I went into that film expecting another lackluster thriller with sub-par acting and predictable plot twists. "

but that IS exactly my description of this film, a lackluster thriller with sub-par acting and SERIOUSLY predictable plot twists. 
MisterSpiffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MisterSpiffy

Yeah...this movie definitely DOES NOT deserve a 5/5.  I saw it when it was in theatres, and I remember my friend and I being the ONLY people in the theatre.  Literally. :\

bonesaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By bonesaw

in my opinion, i thought the movie was pretty good. sorry if you didn't like it, but i enjoyed it. just cause you didn't like it doesn't mean others can't enjoy it. also, its just a blog man, you dont have to get all up in arms about it.  rather than bashing my blog, you should write your own review for the film and see if others agree or disagree with you.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By jakob187

Bad movie...but glad you enjoyed it.

bonesaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bonesaw

jakob187... fair enough man, hope you enjoyed the review regardless

serbsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By serbsta

I enjoyed it aswell, wouldnt go to 5/5, max 3.5-4.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187
bonesaw said:
"jakob187... fair enough man, hope you enjoyed the review regardless"
Totally did, actually.  While I don't agree with your opinion, you laid it out to the point that I'm not going to sit here and say "fuck your review" or anything.  You absolutely justified why you like the movie, and that's your own deal.  =  D
AvD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By AvD

From what I saw of it, The Number 23 seemed like a amateurish and unintelligent movie, I guess I just don't see what you saw in it.  But in regards to what you first said about not being able to accept a serious role played by Jim Carrey, I guess you have never seen Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, he was great in that movie.

bonesaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bonesaw

no, i actually havent seen eternal sunshine, really wanted to though. that might be next on my list. :)