The power of the Quick Look

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bwast

Thanks to tworecent Quick Looks, I bought The Witcher 2 and L.A. Noire. I had absolutely no interest in either game but the QL completely changed my mind on both. With Witcher 2, I was unaware that they had gotten rid of the weird timing-based combat of the first game. Plus it looks great and the voice acting seemed to be light years ahead of the first one. As for L.A. Noire, I assumed that it was going to be GTA: 1940. Now that I've seen the QL, I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Have any of you bought a game that, if not for a Quick Look, you would let it pass you by?

Conversely, has a Quick Look scared you away from a game that, at one time, you found interesting?
SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 28

#2  Edited By SMTDante89

I felt the same way about L.A. Noire, though I still won't be picking it up right away due to some financial strain, but it is on my "To Buy" list.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Yanngc33

The QL EX of Tron: Evolution sold me on the game, which I proceeded to buy and get all the achievements for because I enjoy hurting myself

SBYM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SBYM

In my experiences, Quick Looks have more of an influence if it's a game I wasn't already all that interested in, only to see something I like during the video. For instance, I'm looking forward to the new Red Faction game after seeing the QL where Brad and Ryan used all the crazy guns to cause damage for points; before seeing that, I couldn't care less about it. As far as games I already either did or didn't want, I've yet to see a QL for one that made me change my mind one way or the other.

Malphye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Malphye

Happened to me with Red Dead. No hype and no real interest then I watched the QL. Bought it that same week if I remember.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Exactly. I had zero interest in L.A. Noire before the QL. It can also have the complete opposite effect. I was interested in Brink until I watched the QL...

Klippinidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Klippinidas

I was on the fence about LA Noire until I saw the Quick Look, as well. I wanted to make sure it was what I had thought it was before I went and got it. It's been better than I expected too!

VierasTalo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VierasTalo
@wewantsthering said:
Exactly. I had zero interest in L.A. Noire before the QL. It can also have the complete opposite effect. I was interested in Brink until I watched the QL...
Just popping by to say that I also was somewhat intrigued by Brink but that QL completely changed my mind. It looked so boring and stock.
huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By huntad

I was not planning on picking up LA Noire. I watched 5 minutes of it and instantly knew that I had to have it. I finished watching it, and immediately drove down to the nearest Gamestop and picked it up. Did not regret my purchase one bit, thanks GB!

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dylabaloo

Boderlands; which I regret, Splosion man and Super Meat Boy Brads enthusiasm for that was a powerful beast. After seeing the Witcher quicklook i'm defiantly interested but no way my PC can handle it. Oh speaking of PC's Dave's Mount and Blade quicklook also convinced me and i'm currently enjoying it.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By crusader8463

There were a couple that made me think a game might be better then my initial thoughts, but so far I have always ended up regretting that decision once I got to play the game. I will admit though, the "The Withcer 2" QL sold me on that game. I was completely ignoring it until after I watched that, and now I really want to play it. I'm just hoping this new video card I bought will be enough of an upgrade to let my system run it.

I wish I could recall what games it was that made me change my mind. I think it was only a couple.
Tireyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Tireyo

Quick Looks are absolutely necessary. They make me want games that I can't get, but I get the joy of watching them!

I haven't had any experiences with quick look.
Vinny_Says

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Vinny_Says

Bought singularity because of a quick look. Totally worth it.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By nintendoeats

I don't get excited for games until they come out, so I don't think a QL has ever prevented me from buying something I wanted. I have bought games because of QLs though. Raskulls comes to mind (you should buy that).

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By haggis

I haven't bought any games I wouldn't have already because of a Quick Look, but I've gone out and bought games immediately because of them, rather than waiting. I prefer the QLs to actual reviews, since I tend to learn more about the game by actually seeing it played. Subtle things that aren't as evident in traditional game reviews. The QLs are easily the most valuable feature on this site, at least from my perspective.

ShaneDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShaneDev

I had plenty of interest in LA Noire before I watched the quick look as in I knew I was going to buy it. The quick look of The Witcher 2 made me quite interested in it, I had no idea what it was before or any idea what it was about but the QL made it look very good.

MayorFeedback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By MayorFeedback

Games I bought because I watched the Quick Look:

You Don't Know Jack
Pac-Man CE DX
The Polynomial
Super Meat Boy
Def Jam Rapstar
Enslaved
Amnesia
Civilization V
Limbo
RISK: Factions
Final Fight: Double Impact

Probably others. Be fair, though, the number of games I didn't buy because I saw the Quick Look is much, much longer.
MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By MEATBALL

I bought the Enslaved's DLC based on the strength of Vinny & Brad's quick look, along with a desire to throw some extra support behind Enslaved (it's a bit overrated, to be sure, but I really enjoyed it for what it was). Giant Bomb's Quick Looks definitely factor into some of my purchases.

GanglyMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By GanglyMonster

Deadly Premonition comes to mind.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#20  Edited By veektarius
@GanglyMonster: That, sir, is not a quick look.

I think the QL sold me on Civ V.  I bought Chime based on the Ql and that was kind of a mistake.  Shadow Complex.