The Pre-Digested Book Experience - Reading 'A Game of Thrones'

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Seppli

So I'm reading 'A Game of Thrones' after having seen the fantastic HBO adaption. I thought I might be wasting my money on a story I already know. I feared I might be bored without the element of surprise. Boy was I wrong.

There's levels to good reading. Simply understanding the context is easy - basic reading. Imagining places and faces and voices and picture actions and motions - adding my imagination to another's creation - it makes reading a book more awesome, but also more challenging and demanding; laborious. Like shooting a movie of my own. Mise-en-scène is hard work and not every passage lends itself well to such a thing. I remember fondly the shoot-out in Tull in the first Dark Tower book and how Stephen King's words came to life in my mind. Not all of that book lived up to that chapter's pedigree though. Much was read merely for context since I couldn't be bothered to flesh it out in my mind.

Reading 'A Game of Thrones' though is effortless. All the imagination work has already been done by others; better and more complete than I ever could do so naturally and on-the-fly. It's all there, pre-digested. Everything's already stored in my memory and naturally fleshes out my reading experience. What a delight. I love to experience the book this way. Must be the best reading experience of my life to date. High fidelity reading all the time without breaking a mental sweat.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GunslingerPanda

But the show sucks compared to the books.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Jimbo
@GunslingerPanda said:

You suck compared to the books.
beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By beforet

@Jimbo said:

@GunslingerPanda said:

You suck compared to the books.

You book compared to the sucks.

What?

And the show was awesome, even when compared to the books. If anything, the show shows some restraint and an appreciation for brevity which the books sorely lack.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By azrailx

no the show is great the book is excellents 
since pov dont rly work well in tv some stuff is lost in the translation 

not to mention about half the added scenes werent rly that good

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I started reading the books after episode 4 of the TV show and finished book 4 by the time episode 9 came along. I too, found the reading process to be effortless thanks to all the visuals I already had in my mind. 

Many things still turn out to be surprises, though. Tyrion, for example, is quite the warrior in the books. He rides into battle and chops up fools left and right with his war axe. Of course in the TV show he simply gets knocked out and wakes up after the battle. This was probably done for budgetary reasons. The general sense of scale is also much larger in the books. The tent in which Khal Drogo "crowns" the good prince is described to be as large as a castle and filled with thousands of warriors.

@GunslingerPanda said:

The show was really fantastic.  
LinusPauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LinusPauling

Knowing the good experiences a few of you have doing this, I will happily follow suit. Thanks!

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dany

Yeah, I started the first book on my kindle awhile ago and its really great. I am quite surprised on how similar the tv show is to the book series and how simple it is to read.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Seppli

I'm pondering to read the second book of the series before watching season 2 next year; even though many who read the books first enjoyed the HBO series less because of it, whilst people who read the book after the fact, enjoy both to the max.

Risky business. Guess I'll have to be adamant about not spoiling season 2 for me, even though my urge to read-on is really strong.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Dany
@Seppli I Havnt heard that all all. The books are superfaithful so far, everyone I know whose read the books love the shoW
armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By armaan8014

Felt the same way reading The Witcher books!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Tennmuerti

My own imagination is the greatest asset when reading books. It's what makes books such a great medium in the first place.

It is the reason why I am also refusing to watch the series even after so many people are saying it's quite good. Because I do not want someone else to impose on how I perceive the world and the characters of the books.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@GunslingerPanda said:

Fuck you.

Riddell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Riddell

I ordered the first two books in the song of ice and fire series to take away on holiday. I can't wait to get stuck in.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@Rolyatkcinmai: That's not very nice. The show's great, it just pales greatly when compared to the original novels. No need for that kind of attitude, is there?

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Bollard

I heard the show was good - so I went and bought the book. I've never seen the show, though.

jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I read the book first and then watched the TV series. I recommend that route as I was able to be surprised by the content in its original context and then have it all cleared up in my head by the TV series right before I start the 2nd book. For example, when I read the book I had no goddamn idea who Theon Greyjoy was. I thought he was an adult knight for whatever reason. I still like the version of Eddard Stark I cooked up in my head while reading the book better than Sean Bean though...

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By AlexW00d

@Dany said:

@Seppli I Havnt heard that all all. The books are superfaithful so far, everyone I know whose read the books love the shoW

What do you mean the books are superfaithful? The books are the original medium.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Dany

@AlexW00d: I meant that the show is super faithful to the books.

ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By ChaosDent

As a longtime fan of the book series, I'm glad to see the show is promoting more interest in the books. The fact that the show (or at least it's first three episodes) is excellent is just icing.

azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By azrailx
@JeffGoldblum said:

I read the book first and then watched the TV series. I recommend that route as I was able to be surprised by the content in its original context and then have it all cleared up in my head by the TV series right before I start the 2nd book. For example, when I read the book I had no goddamn idea who Theon Greyjoy was. I thought he was an adult knight for whatever reason. I still like the version of Eddard Stark I cooked up in my head while reading the book better than Sean Bean though...

yeah except theon is changed in the tv show, not to mention he wasnt rly that easy to miss in the novels... 

and while the tv show is faithful there are some major key differences
SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By SSully

I am debating between reading this, The Hobbit, or The Hunger Games. I feel I should read the Hobbit because I have yet to read it after all of these years.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Seppli
@Dany said:
...what I wanted to say is, some people who read the book first have pet peeves with the show. Perceiving it as somewhat lesser than the books because of this or that minor detail, whilst I don't have that problem going at it the other way around. The book is even more awesome because I've seen the show first.
azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By azrailx

the show loses, and rarley, gains something due to the loss of the point of view perspective found in the novels

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By YoThatLimp

@azrailx said:

@JeffGoldblum said:

yeah except theon is changed in the tv show, not to mention he wasnt rly that easy to miss in the novels... and while the tv show is faithful there are some major key differences

How did they change Theon Greyjoy in the show?

Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Gonmog

@SSully: Read the hunger games first. As its the shortest of the three you listed. Game of Thrones books (song of fire and ice books) are really really really long. Great reads but very long. E format is the best for them! LoL

bearshamanbro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bearshamanbro

@SSully: Read the Hobbit, awesome book. I suggest finding the Tolkien Professor podcast on iTunes and get some great in-depth dissection of the material as you're reading it.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rattle618

That is the laziest way of reading I can think of, the "laborious" process you describe is actually reading, if you are not giving something your full attention and concentration you might as well not do it at all, cause after all it´s not like you are getting paid to do it. 
I suppose it suits our internet generation just fine though.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb67033e3422
deactivated-5bb67033e3422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Seppli:

I’d say read all the books I started the first book just after the third episode and I’m almost at book 4 (fest of crows) and really looking forward to the fifth book.