pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By pakx

No Caption Provided
there's been a metric ton of Trek talk on the podcast and amongt the community in general, i figured a big thread would be appropriate.

so here it is! make with the nerdiness!  is it Picard or Kirk? Sisco or Janeway? what's the best Trek flick? favorite episodes? villians? vulcan or Klingon?

are you new to Trek and want to get into it, but don't know where to start? start here! ask questions and dive headfirst where no man has gone before!
JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By JoelTGM

If everyone watched Star Trek the world would be a better place. 

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Seedofpower
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" If everyone watched Star Trek the world would be a better place.  "
How better?
emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By emkeighcameron

I have a feeling this thread is going to mainly be about STO and how it sucks.

pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By pakx
@Seedofpower:  the population crisis would be solved, as women the world over would be forced to choose a life of service to God, or a Klingon wedding.
jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By jeffgoldblum

I'm a TNG fan myself. I respect what TOS did for Television and SF, but it is just too damn campy to be enjoyed anymore.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By EvilTwin

I'm blowing through the original series online right now.  I've been watching the episodes in their full original glory.  Ugly ass ship model and all.  Would you guys recommend I watch the remastered episodes instead?  Is anything lost in translation?

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By JoelTGM
@Seedofpower said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
How better? "
No racism, a bar fight would consist of some slow motion punching, a bottle smashed over a head, followed by a slow two-handed beat down to finish the fight, and wars would only be waged with other planets.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By rjayb89

I've welcomed my first blu-ray disc into my hands just today and it was Star Trek (2009).

pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pakx

hey, Cap'n Kirk is closing off the Olympics!

pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By pakx
@EvilTwin: the remastered stuff is very nice. rarely if ever intrusive, and makes alot of the space battles FAR more... watchable.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By turboman

NNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS 

No Caption Provided
Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Seedofpower
@DOUBLESHOCK said:
" @Seedofpower said:
" @DOUBLESHOCK said:
How better? "
No racism, a bar fight would consist of some slow motion punching, a bottle smashed over a head, followed by a slow two-handed beat down to finish the fight, and wars would only be waged with other planets. "
ooo makes sense.
rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By rjayb89

We'd be insulting people with "live long and prosper," which hey, I wouldn't mind that.

pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pakx

i love how Trek has become this flagship for futurists, and how much it's affected the world to suit it's vision of the future.
generations of engineers, scientists, philosiphers, storytellers and futurists (read: nerds) bending the world to suit this vision of what;s to come. it's incredible, really really really speaks to the power of fiction... i'm rambling, but the point is, this is what makes Star Trek special: it's effect on the real world. shit be cyclical, dawg. Gene Roddenberry was a masterful futurist, and his foreground lead the way for other futurists and storytellers to explore the possibility of what's to come through technology that exists and could plausably exist in the future. a perfect example would be the first space shuttle, which was, by virtue of Trekkies, named the Enterprise 101, followed by the first commercial space craft, currently in production, which will also be called The Enterprise.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By singular

There is a dude who calls himself sfdebries on youtube. He does a regular show called Opinionated Star Trek Guide in which he reviews episodes of the ST series. I think they are hilarious. Here is one episode: 

pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pakx
@SinGulaR said:

"
There is a dude who calls himself sfdebries on youtube. He does a regular show called Opinionated Star Trek Guide in which he reviews episodes of the ST series. I think they are hilarious. Here is one episode: 

"

oooh, Portal gags, edgy.

i much preffer his Trek film reviews.

TotalEklypse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TotalEklypse

I'm sorry cant get into a show with grown men in the future in tights... shooting pussy lazer guns set to stun.

pakx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By pakx
@TotalEklypse said:
"

I'm sorry cant get into a show with grown men in the future in tights... shooting pussy lazer guns set to stun.

"
wait what? what tights?
Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

First Contact had to be one of the worst Trek films, watch this review (all 4 parts) and you'll understand why

Im a big trek fan tho, im finishing up DS9 for the 3rd time, that series was so goddamn epic once Roddenberry passed away, the Dominion wars had to be the best story produced from the trek writers since Best of Both Worlds and All good Things from TNG
crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21  Edited By crusader8463

Over the last month i have watched every episode of every season of TNG, and I'm four episodes shy of the last season of Deep Space Nine. I already have all of Voyager ready to watch, then I'm going to work on Enterprise and lastly The Original Series. I know its out of order but that is the order in which i ranked the shows worth with TNG being the best. DS9 i had skipped over until i watched it now, and have only watched a few of TOS so it's in last place, until i watch it it holds my interest the least. After watching most of DS9 i would place it in 4th place as my favorite of the series. I just disliked too many of the characters to give it a higher ranking, despite the few that i liked being some of my favorite ones in all of Star Trek. 

1. The Next Generation
  2. Voyager
  3. Enterprise
  4. DS9
  5. The Original Series
Avatar image for bam_d_leprechaun
Bam_D_Leprechaun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bam_D_Leprechaun

you seriously rank Enterprise over DS9? FAIL

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By crusader8463
@Bam_D_Leprechaun said:

" you seriously rank Enterprise over DS9? FAIL "

No not really. With the exception of a couple characters i found the entire cast of DS9 to be dull and uninteresting. I hated the show being about religion and how believing in it will be our only hope of salvation. I liked it, and it certainly had its moments where i was on the edge of my seat, but by the end of the series i was just hoping it would get over. I hated where they took almost all of the characters development, and as i said above the whole idea that they had to accept a religion in order to save themselves from the dominion just soured the whole show for me. 

As for enterprise being higher then DS9 on my list, i only watched the first season of the show and i remember liking it a lot. I still have to watch Voyager, Enterprise and TOS so I'm sure my list will change up some after i do. I have only ever watched a couple episodes of TOS, the last few seasons of voyager, and the first season (plus a few odd ones here and there) of enterprise. So my ranking of them is only based on the little bit of each that i remember.
RedSox8933

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By RedSox8933

I tried to watch The Original series the other day, but that shit is unwatchable now. I'm a little disappointed that I don't like it more.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

I had a thread like this when it came to the captains.

Picard>Janeway>Cisco>>>Archer>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Kirk

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been doing a very slow watch/re-watch of the franchise the last couple years. I've worked my way through all of TOS (only saw the first season previously), all of TAS (never seen before), and I'm up to mid-season 3 of TNG (I've seen through season 5ish before).

DS9, which I have seen through a couple times, is one of my favorite TV shows of all time. I think the characters on that show get much more complex and deeper than most other Trek characters because of the nature of the show. Episodes like "Far Beyond the Stars," "The Visitor," and a lot of the Dominion War arc still hold up incredibly well.

Haven't seen any of the modern shows yet (Discovery, Picard) because I got real turned off of post-2009 Star Trek, but I know they abandoned some of the alternate timeline stuff I disliked so I'll give them a chance at some point.

Colmymeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tds418: I find it interesting that you watched DS9 first and that you really like it.

DS9 is by far my favourite star trek series. But i always thought a large aspect of that was because it feels like a deconstruction of the ideals of Star Trek, particularly Gene Rodenberry's humanism vision of the future. Some of the later season arcs feel like modern day television with the serialisation.

I disliked DS9 so much when it came out, I'm from Ireland and it aired at a time when paramilitary attacks and religion were at the forefront of everyday life, and i did not want it from my escapism.

DS9 is not just the best Star Trek it's one the best tv shows ever. Voyager is so poor until Kes gets killed off, Enterprise only gets good in its last season, TNG's first 2 seasons consist of 51 episodes and clip show and i can think of maybe four episodes that are good. Also season 7 isn't great, aside from having one of the most satisfying closing scene and episodes in television. TOS goes off the rails in season 3.

DS9 first 2 seasons are pretty good, besides any episode that focuses on Dax, and Bashir is so annoying in the early seasons. But it comes good in the 3rd season and only ever gets better from there.

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By tds418

@colmymeh: DS9 wasn't my first by a long shot, I had watched some TOS and TNG beforehand as well as all of the films to that point (pre-2009).