The Worst Song of This Decade? (2010-2019)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By liquiddragon

Obviously inspired by the worst 80's song talk. I don't actually listen to music that much so I'm having trouble thinking of a song I really hate this decade or ever really.

What are really bad songs from this decade? Which one would you nominate as the worst of the decade?

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By shiftygism

As someone who was primarily influenced by radio, late night television, and the juggernaut that was MTV back in the day, I've kinda fell off the wagon when it comes to anything released for the better part of the last two decades, so this thread should be interesting.

Especially considering a lot of modern music that I have heard has left me wondering what the hell happened? Did things get worse or did I just get old?

Country and rock had taken a nosedive back then, I can't imagine either have bounced back much, and the majority of newer hip hop I've been exposed to seems to be mush mouthed autotuned nonsense for the most part.

doombot13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despacito

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Onemanarmyy

enjoy some Corey Feldman. This is the single, so you could probably dig through his album to find something even worse, but i don't have the guts to do it :D

Miley's sister squealing over this song while her boyfriend's crackly voice raps is not a great listen neither. Check the last part of the song if you think that the singing is not all that bad.

This fall out boy song is quite dreadful as well.

oh and while Rock is not in the mainstream all that much, if you're looking for it there's quite some quality guitar music to be found. White Reaper, Squid, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, The Voidz, Chromatics, Iceage, Black Midi, Fontaines DC, PUP, Fucked Up, Parquet Courts, White Lies, Flasher, Shame, Gang of Youths, Tame Impala, Pond, Drenge, Angel Du$T, Black Mountain, Swans, Kurt Vile, Cass McCombs, Alex Lahey, The Growlers, The National, Courtney Barnett, Sturgill Simpson, Arctic Monkeys, Mitski, Vampire Weekend, St Vincent, DIIV, Ghost, Big Thief, Alex Cameron, Foals, Twin Peaks, Nilufer Yanya, Charly Bliss, Raconteurs, Mac Demarco, Priests, Ariel Pink, Hop Along. I'm not too well versed in metal, but i've seen quite some praise for recent metal music as well. Deafheaven, Inter Arma, High on Fire, Goatess and such.

Music is in quite a decent spot, but i have to work a bit harder than i used to to find stuff that i like. Naturally there's way more bad stuff / stuff i don't care for readily available as well.

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

First thing that comes to mind is "I'm Sexy and I know it" by LMFAO. The song is pretty annoying and the video is worse. I don't think I can even post it here because there is so much footage of dick bulge swinging in your face. I think they were trying to make fun of macho masculinity but the official video is pretty gross.

Loading Video...

For the indie scene, there's this song by Cold War Kids. The song is boring and so is the video.

Loading Video...

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

@onemanarmyy: oh god, I have seen that Corey Feldman video...

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By imhungry

First song that came to mind was Selfie by The Chainsmokers. Pretty much all their music has been terrible but boy is that song bad.

The actual answer probably lies in the dregs of Soundcloud and Spotify parody raps, but for practicality's sake that rabbit hole has to be ignored.

billmcneal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 6

Ylvis - The Fox (What does the Fox Say?)

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By wollywoo

Rihanna - Work is really grating. Adele - Rumor Has It is also very annoying, although I like some of her other stuff.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Whatever’s on the radio right now.

I like a lot of current stuff, but the shit getting airplay these days is atrocious.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's gotta be a Corey Feldman or Logic song.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I can't name and specific song, but I'm thinking that it belongs to either Lil Yachty, IceJJFish, Hopsin, Jaden Smith, Eminem, Logic, Drake, Nicki Minaj, Lil Pump, Tekashi 69, Nickelback, or just all of Chance the Rapper's The Big Day.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Somebody That I Used to Know - Gotye 2011

What a garbage fire of a song.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's whatever is playing over the gym speakers at any given moment.

If I have to name an individual song, it's whatever that "I'm only human" crap is called. It's been used to death in just about every trailer for every movie, game, and TV show for the last couple of years.

I'm probably the wrong person to ask through. I think there hasn't been a good band since Tchaikovsky.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't.
I can think of a few i really hate, but pop music and modern rap gets more and more offensively disgusting every day.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mellotronrules

didn't even have to think about it-

California Gurls by Katy Perry.

the writing is conceptually bankrupt, it's yet another vehicle for snoop's slow decline/cash-in, and the chorus vocal riff sounds like an ambulance siren sample routed through a freeware vocoloid VST.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Anything by Tekashi69, but to be specific Gummo. Its just awful. Like how can this be popular awful.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

I listened to "Fancy" by Iggy Azalea the other day, thinking I could defend that song despite thinking she's otherwise terrible, but uh, oh god, no, even that song was awful. Like, God-awful. Like, when people had beef with her accent, I get it now. Not only does it sound fake as hell, it also doesn't sound good either. At all.

Runners-up include "You're the One" by Greta Van Fleet, "Bad Blood" with Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar, and "Demons" by Imagine Dragons.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiftygism: ...ain't gonna lie, will be bumping in the whip. But at least that sounds like fifty times better! I'd say the same about Weird Al Yankovic's version, too.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Anything by imagine dragons but lightning is particularly grating.

mikachops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By mikachops

Hozier - Take Me To Church

Jesus fucking christ I hate it so much. It's bad enough the lyrics are fucking awful, the arrangement is boring and obviously trying to cash in on the Adele style songwriting and delivery everyone was doing around that time, but it's also a white guy trying to do gospel shit.

It's awful from all angles.

Edit: I'll also add Dancing On My Own by Calum Scott. It's bad (in the cheap, slow balled variety that was popular this decade) but it also eclipsed the classic original by Robyn in popularity, and fuck that.

Also, can I add an album for most overrated? Lemonade by Beyonce was baaaaaaad and is lauded purely because shes rich and the machinations surrounding her made it so. Formation is a fun song though.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

There are a lot of totally fine, competent, annoying but hey, that's cool songs here. I hated "Rude" by Magic! as much as the next guy, but there's also a reason I heard that song a hundred times.

No, we need more truly awful music in this thread. We need more random mixtape filler from the early 2010s. We need more Juke features on Trinidad Jame$ album cuts if we're going to maximize this thread's potential.

Loading Video...

HIMSteveO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Surprised that no-one’s mentioned ‘Gucci Gang’ by Lil Pump... That thing is the dirt worst and is the epitome of ‘mumble rap’, which is god awful.

Tekashi69 should go down as the worst artist of the decade though, bar none! His music is TRASH, but then when you bring in all of the cases he’s caught and everything else... MAN!

UncleJam23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A few nominees I think should be considered. Sticking with relatively known songs. I'm sure there's some Youtube fart or crunkcore whatever that's worse than everything on here. But I feel like picking that stuff is cheating somehow. I don't know.

1. "Wiggle" by Jason Derulo.

- Just aggressively annoying and stupid on every imaginable level.

Loading Video...

2. "Diva" by Beyoncé

- Look. I love Beyoncé. You (at least on some level, probably) love Beyoncé. We all love Beyoncé. But it's healthy to be honest about the things and the people we love, and the bottom line is that "Diva" is incredibly unpleasant on a sonic and aesthetic level.

Loading Video...

3. "We Dem Boyz" by Wiz Khalifa

- Is it worse to be be boring or offensive? Can something be so boring that it becomes offensive? I ask because "We Dem Boyz" exists...

Loading Video...

4. "Marvin Gaye" by Charlie Puth feat. Megan Trainor

- ...as does "Marvin Gaye," which commits the arguably worse crime of taking Marvin Gaye and his works and using it do... that.

Loading Video...

5. “Look At Me Now” by Chris Brown feat. Lil Wayne & Busta Rhymes

- It's like he's rubbing it in our faces that he got away with it.

Loading Video...

6. “Sucker for Pain” by Lil Wayne, Wiz Khalifa, & Imagine Dragons w/ Logic, Ty Dolla $ign, feat. X Ambassadors

- I don't know. Just feels kind of right that it gets included here.

Loading Video...

Will probably think of some more soon enough.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

This isn't even fair. This decade had soundcloud rappers. For every good soundcloud rapper there were like 50 that ranged from dull to aggressively terrible. This has been made worse by the popularity of TikTok, which has made meme-like songs become popular for all the wrong reasons.

Here is one of many, many examples I can think of. The lyrics in this DBangz song are super NSFW just as a warning:

Loading Video...

The Jeopardy theme music did not deserve this.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Loading Video...

There are several Imagine Dragons songs that could qualify, but this one is particularly horrifying. It meets all of the qualifications for being the worst song of the decade.

• It was grossly overplayed - Once is arguably too many times to hear this, but this trash was somehow one of the most popular songs of the decade. It was unavoidable (despite my considerable efforts), as it frequently appeared in commercials, trailers, etc. I guess people found it "catchy" or some shit; I have no idea. It makes me want to break things and/or stab myself in the eardrums.
  • It is musically bankrupt - The "instrumentation" in this "song" is little more than a casio keyboard beat with a couple of annoying samples sprinkled in. The vocal inflection/emphasis at the end of each line is beyond grating, and there's a very real, borderline offensive "white guy who should in no way be rapping" quality to it as this infuriating assclown pretends like he's spitting hot fire.

• It is lyrically vapid - It has all of two extremely phoned-in verses which amount to "I dreamed as a kidof making it big and now look at me, I made it", which is absolutely the most tired premise. I could actually forgive that as something to be expected of yet another lame pop song, but the rest of it is literally repeating the word thunder. Over. And over. And over again. Here is an unedited excerpt from the actual lyrics of the song:

"Thunder Thunder, thun', thunder Thun-thun-thunder, thunder, thunder Thunder, thun', thunder Thun-thun-thunder, thunder Thunder, feel the thunder Lightning then the thunder Thunder, feel the thunder Lightning then the thunder Thunder Thunder, feel the thunder Lightning then the thunder, thunder Thunder, feel the thunder Lightning then the thunder, thunder Thunder, feel the thunder Lightning then the thunder, thunder Thunder, feel the thunder Lightning then the thunder, thunder Thunder, feel the thunder Lightning then the thunder, thunder Thunder, thunder, thunder Thun-thun-thunder, thunder Thunder, thunder, thunder Thun-thun-thunder, thunder Thunder, thunder, thunder Thun-thun-thunder, thunder Thunder, thunder, thunder Thun-thun-thunder, thunder"

I rest my case.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notnert427: For the longest time I thought they were saying "Fun Dip, Fuh-Fuh-Fun Dip"

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look, I get the Imagine Dragons hate if you look at their work as regular ass music, but those songs actually work great as anchors for commercial purposes...same goes for equally repetitive shit like Beyonce's recent stuff (not a fan). I mostly associate "Thunder" with that attractive lady quitting her job ad (Cuervo?), "Whatever it Takes" as a WWE ppv theme, and of course "Radioactive" with Sony's E3 event years back. They've found their niche...harmless repetitive pop, but while they lack depth, they're far from the top offenders of "worst song" this past decade. Even as someone that's been out of touch with the music scene I know that.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@notnert427: For the longest time I thought they were saying "Fun Dip, Fuh-Fuh-Fun Dip"

This would have made it a much better song, honestly. I could get on board with something as dumb as a song about obscure candy of questionable quality.

Look, I get the Imagine Dragons hate if you look at their work as regular ass music, but those songs actually work great as anchors for commercial purposes...same goes for equally repetitive shit like Beyonce's recent stuff (not a fan). I mostly associate "Thunder" with that attractive lady quitting her job ad (Cuervo?), "Whatever it Takes" as a WWE ppv theme, and of course "Radioactive" with Sony's E3 event years back. They've found their niche...harmless repetitive pop, but while they lack depth, they're far from the top offenders of "worst song" this past decade. Even as someone that's been out of touch with the music scene I know that.

You're not wrong that their songs are straight-up designed for use in promo shit, but that actually makes it worse in my book. It's not even really attempting to be music at that point; it's solely intended to have some cheap hooks to specifically exploit what's been proven to be "catchy" to the masses. In fairness, lots of pop music does this, but they're arguably the worst offenders, and there's a level of brazen laziness to this song in particular that I find extremely offputting.

I'm going to very much disagree with it being harmless. It homogenizes music and undermines the idea of music as an artform. There are countless utterly incredible musicians who play multiple instruments, write poetic lyrics, and possess true vocal talent who struggle to catch on while this insipid shit from some producer's pop playbook that requires no talent on any level is ubiquitous. They've found a niche and are successful, but that doesn't make the music good in any way.

saispag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A lot of the songs so far are at least listenable, just to different peoples tastes. Yes you might not like Imagine Dragons, but they are actual songs, and some people like them. And then there is this pure garbage shit fire.

Like it has to be a joke. The blink parts are awful, they put out an album after this where they can sing and play so this has to be taking the piss. And the lyrics, and the ... the everything.... its ... oof

Loading Video...