The Yeah Yeah Yeahs "It's Blitz!" Discussion/Review.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Edited By turboman

The best part about "It's Blitz!" is that it was completely unnecessary to change the sound of previous works from the YYY's. From the last two albums/EP's they put out, 2006's "Show Your Bones", and 2007's "Is Is", The YYY's proved that they have one of the most talented guitar/drums duo in music today in Nick Zinner and Brian Chase. These two have provided some of the most enjoyable guitar riffs and experimental drum breakdowns of this decade.

But that's not what "It's Blitz" is about. If not anything, this is the first album that proves the synthesizer just might be as awesome as most alternative rock bands wants us to believe it is. Last year, synthesizer was all over the place, most noticeably MGMT. On "It's Blitz", we get a taste of the frenetic side of the synthesizer with the 80's song on acid single, "Zero", and then it is used to perfection to slow down the tempo and pace with the absolutely sweet sounding "Skeletons". "It's Blitz" might also go down as the CD that proves Karen-O as the most entertaining frontman/frontwoman of the decade, at one moment she's vulnerable, the next she's a fucking 100 year old queen in "Dull Life" and is completely in control of the song. (Note: listen to this album on speakers that are worth a damn, you'll appreciate it later.)

Breakdown:
  1. Zero - Takes a while to get it's feet going, but when the bridge kicks in and Karen-O starts yelping "Shell-shock!", it's hard to not want to just jump from your seat and do a little moshpit dance
  2. Heads Will Roll - Very aggressive disco song, awesome jungle beat at the end of the song.
  3. Soft Shock - Might be the breakout song from the album. The guitar effects in the chorus seems to reflect Karen's voice perfectly and just makes this song melt into your mind.
  4. Skeletons - It takes balls to put a song like this on an alternative rock cd. Karen is as vulnerable as ever, and the drum stick clacking sounds like an outtake from an Animal Collective song. This leads to the song to just continue to build up rhythmically, mixing electronic drum noises with real drums, it's pretty interesting.
  5. Dull Life - I'm thinking that Nick Zinner had multiple ideas for some mean guitar licks on his next cd, and then Karen and Brian just ruined it by telling Nick that the next CD was going to be all synthesizer. Nick must have cried at that meeting, and feeling sorry for him, they let Nick put all of his ideas into one song, and that song would be called "Dull Life". ..... That's how I imagine how this song was made at-least.
  6. Shame and Fortune - If there was one throwaway song on this CD, it would be this one, unfortunately it kinda drags on and doesn't go anywhere.
  7. Runaway - Since when did the YYY's have an orchestra backing them up? Takes a while to build up, but it rewards you for sticking around by the end of the song.
  8. Dragon Queen - This song is just awesome. It has backing vocals from the dude on TV on The Radio, and that's exactly what this song sounds like, which is TV On The Radio + The YYY's.
  9. Hysteric - The obvious top single on the album. Karen's voice is just amazingly sweet in this.
  10. Little Shadow - This song is just special to me for some reason. It's such a children's song, the organ mixed with drums sounds absolutely amazing, Karen's voice is perfect, Thank You YYY's.

Must have tracks:
The entire CD. Buy the deluxe version on iTunes for some acoustic versions (Hysteric is especially great acoustic)

Final Verdict:
Approved.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By turboman

The best part about "It's Blitz!" is that it was completely unnecessary to change the sound of previous works from the YYY's. From the last two albums/EP's they put out, 2006's "Show Your Bones", and 2007's "Is Is", The YYY's proved that they have one of the most talented guitar/drums duo in music today in Nick Zinner and Brian Chase. These two have provided some of the most enjoyable guitar riffs and experimental drum breakdowns of this decade.

But that's not what "It's Blitz" is about. If not anything, this is the first album that proves the synthesizer just might be as awesome as most alternative rock bands wants us to believe it is. Last year, synthesizer was all over the place, most noticeably MGMT. On "It's Blitz", we get a taste of the frenetic side of the synthesizer with the 80's song on acid single, "Zero", and then it is used to perfection to slow down the tempo and pace with the absolutely sweet sounding "Skeletons". "It's Blitz" might also go down as the CD that proves Karen-O as the most entertaining frontman/frontwoman of the decade, at one moment she's vulnerable, the next she's a fucking 100 year old queen in "Dull Life" and is completely in control of the song. (Note: listen to this album on speakers that are worth a damn, you'll appreciate it later.)

Breakdown:
  1. Zero - Takes a while to get it's feet going, but when the bridge kicks in and Karen-O starts yelping "Shell-shock!", it's hard to not want to just jump from your seat and do a little moshpit dance
  2. Heads Will Roll - Very aggressive disco song, awesome jungle beat at the end of the song.
  3. Soft Shock - Might be the breakout song from the album. The guitar effects in the chorus seems to reflect Karen's voice perfectly and just makes this song melt into your mind.
  4. Skeletons - It takes balls to put a song like this on an alternative rock cd. Karen is as vulnerable as ever, and the drum stick clacking sounds like an outtake from an Animal Collective song. This leads to the song to just continue to build up rhythmically, mixing electronic drum noises with real drums, it's pretty interesting.
  5. Dull Life - I'm thinking that Nick Zinner had multiple ideas for some mean guitar licks on his next cd, and then Karen and Brian just ruined it by telling Nick that the next CD was going to be all synthesizer. Nick must have cried at that meeting, and feeling sorry for him, they let Nick put all of his ideas into one song, and that song would be called "Dull Life". ..... That's how I imagine how this song was made at-least.
  6. Shame and Fortune - If there was one throwaway song on this CD, it would be this one, unfortunately it kinda drags on and doesn't go anywhere.
  7. Runaway - Since when did the YYY's have an orchestra backing them up? Takes a while to build up, but it rewards you for sticking around by the end of the song.
  8. Dragon Queen - This song is just awesome. It has backing vocals from the dude on TV on The Radio, and that's exactly what this song sounds like, which is TV On The Radio + The YYY's.
  9. Hysteric - The obvious top single on the album. Karen's voice is just amazingly sweet in this.
  10. Little Shadow - This song is just special to me for some reason. It's such a children's song, the organ mixed with drums sounds absolutely amazing, Karen's voice is perfect, Thank You YYY's.

Must have tracks:
The entire CD. Buy the deluxe version on iTunes for some acoustic versions (Hysteric is especially great acoustic)

Final Verdict:
Approved.

Bruce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Bruce

Sexy.

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Illmatic

One of the very first rock bands I first had any interest in which is saying a lot for a hip-hop loving teen back then. Now in college with a much wider taste in music and I can say I still pump a little Yeah Yeah Yeahs from my headphones in between some Lupe and Nas. Thanks for the heads up on the new album

MSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By MSG

I can't say I agree.  There are some really shining moments here, namely Skeletons and the climax of Zero, but the rest seems like rather bland dance rock, in the vain of say the Klaxons.  Honestly the guitar riffs at some points seem very uninspired and sound very reminiscent of various sounds across the rock universe (believe it or not the Offspring come to mind when listening to Dull Life).

It's not a bad album by any means.  There are some fantastic moments overall.  I do think Skeletons is one of the best songs released so far this year and leads a pack of standouts including Zero and Hysteric that are pretty great tunes, but the lows heavily outweigh the highs in this case and I can't quite stand listening to this album all the way through without skipping any more.

That being said, thanks for the review.  Keep it up.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By turboman

I think that it is a tough album to listen to all the way through.... whoever mixed the cd together has a lot of balls for some of the groupings of back to back songs, like putting the two slowest songs on the cd, Soft Shock and Skeleton right next to each other and also Shame and Fortune and Runaway, both songs that do tend to drag on a bit.

thanks for the positive feedback so far.
Alexander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Alexander

I really like the sound of Zero, and I'm seeing them next month, I reckon that will be a belter live. Need to give the album a good few listens before hand me thinks.

RetroIce4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By RetroIce4
MSG said:
"I can't say I agree.  There are some really shining moments here, namely Skeletons and the climax of Zero, but the rest seems like rather bland dance rock, in the vain of say the Klaxons.  Honestly the guitar riffs at some points seem very uninspired and sound very reminiscent of various sounds across the rock universe (believe it or not the Offspring come to mind when listening to Dull Life). It's not a bad album by any means.  There are some fantastic moments overall.  I do think Skeletons is one of the best songs released so far this year and leads a pack of standouts including Zero and Hysteric that are pretty great tunes, but the lows heavily outweigh the highs in this case and I can't quite stand listening to this album all the way through without skipping any more.That being said, thanks for the review.  Keep it up."
What he said. I still really like the album.
turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By turboman

have they published a concert schedule yet, Alexander?

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By turboman

this is now on the fantastic new blog at http://plasticguitars.squarespace.com/

(yes, I made a website just now)
MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By MetalGearSunny

no.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By turboman

Yes?

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Virago

This album totally tore me apart; I love early YYYs, and I love synthesizers, but having them together totally shattered my world. I love this album. But I feel really guilty admitting it, because it's so different than show your bones or fever to tell.

I'm glad you appreciate it too =)

InnerBlueAbyss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By InnerBlueAbyss

Not Metal Enough.  Most new stuff isnt.

MSG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14  Edited By MSG

Is that really a problem with music that's not meant to be metal?