Thoughts on Top Gear USA?

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Afroman269

I heard that the U.S version started and I'm just wondering if anyone saw it and what are your thoughts on it? The previews that I saw just makes me want to dismiss it and stick to the original.

TheSmashing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By TheSmashing

No  Clarkson, no fun.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

This is the most i ever thought about Top Gear 

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By TwoOneFive

most definitely better than expected.  

they definitely have a cool group of guys who can definitely be awesome together (in due time. so far, theyre pretty cool individuals but obviously it will take some time for these dudes to show true chemistry). one of which was showing off some kick ass driving skills in a dodge viper (while being chased by a fucking cobra attack helicopter-- WHICH WAS FUCKING BADASS, seriously those things are incredible) anyways. The group did some decent pieces. But they all sort of have this thing where they are definitely trying to copy the original to the T. Which isn't a bad thing since its so great. But I think they go too far, and therefore the hosts dont appear completely comfortable just yet. They should do more to be creative.  

Even the car footage looked like it was copied frame for frame. All the same effects etc. They should do more to stylize it differently.  

Another thing.. the guy who interviewed Buzz Aldrin could use a few pointers on interviews. He read from a card almost the entire time... do your research bro!! 

anyways. it definitely is better than expected and has a ton of potential.  

I just wish it aired on a more watched channel.  

One thing is good though, they clearly have a decent budget!  

you can just watch the whole show on history channels website 

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By KaosAngel

It fucking sucks. 

I just watched the Polar Special and the Viet Special over the weekend again, and I realized the Top Gear USA fucking sucks. 

I'm not even a Brit, so you know Top Gear USA is bad.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Afroman269
@TwoOneFive: Alright, I'll check it out. Not sure I'll see myself jumping to this because I just love the humor in the original. Also I don't like the idea of the new guys trying to the copy the original guys, that sounds like it will be just bad and make me want to watch the original more.
Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Afroman269
@SethPhotopoulos: I'm ashamed that I didn't stumble upon this sooner. 

@KaosAngel: In what way does it suck? Do they just try to imitate the original and fail?
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#8  Edited By KaosAngel
@Afroman269: The group aura isn't there, jokes are lame, and the car stuff I can just get from the Brits.
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
@TwoOneFive said:
"  most definitely better than expected.    they definitely have a cool group of guys who can definitely be awesome together. one of which was showing off some kick ass driving skills in a dodge viper (while being chased by a fucking cobra attack helicopter-- WHICH WAS FUCKING BADASS, seriously those things are incredible) anyways. The group did some decent pieces. But they all sort of have this thing where they are definitely trying to copy the original to the T. Which isn't a bad thing since its so great. But I think they go too far, and therefore the hosts dont appear completely comfortable just yet. The should do more to be creative.   Even the car footage looked like it was copied frame for frame. All the same effects etc. They should do more to stylize it differently.   Another thing.. the guy who interviewed Buzz Aldrin could use a few pointers on interviews. He read from a card almost the entire time... do your research bro!!  anyways. it definitely is better than expected and has a ton of potential.   I just wish it aired on a more watched channel.   One thing is good though, they clearly have a decent budget!   you can just watch the whole show on history channels website  "
I thought the helicopter thing was forced and boring. It didn't feel natural. That happens in the original Top Gear sometimes, but Clarkson and the guys hide alot of it. Overall it was OK. It could have been worse (the original episodes of UK Top Gear were bad). Hopefully it will get better. 

I just can't stop thinking how much better it would be if they got Jay Leno and Matt Farah (look up TheSmokingTire on Youtube) to be on the show.
endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By endaround

God its been bad.  Top Gear has some of the most beautiful shots on TV.  Top Gear USA looks to be using cheap digital video.  The hosts feel like they are trying to do schtick.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Afroman269
@MAN_FLANNEL said:
" @TwoOneFive said:
"  most definitely better than expected.    they definitely have a cool group of guys who can definitely be awesome together. one of which was showing off some kick ass driving skills in a dodge viper (while being chased by a fucking cobra attack helicopter-- WHICH WAS FUCKING BADASS, seriously those things are incredible) anyways. The group did some decent pieces. But they all sort of have this thing where they are definitely trying to copy the original to the T. Which isn't a bad thing since its so great. But I think they go too far, and therefore the hosts dont appear completely comfortable just yet. The should do more to be creative.   Even the car footage looked like it was copied frame for frame. All the same effects etc. They should do more to stylize it differently.   Another thing.. the guy who interviewed Buzz Aldrin could use a few pointers on interviews. He read from a card almost the entire time... do your research bro!!  anyways. it definitely is better than expected and has a ton of potential.   I just wish it aired on a more watched channel.   One thing is good though, they clearly have a decent budget!   you can just watch the whole show on history channels website  "
I thought the helicopter thing was forced and boring. It didn't feel natural. That happens in the original Top Gear sometimes, but Clarkson and the guys hide alot of it. Overall it was OK. It could have been worse (the original episodes of UK Top Gear were bad). Hopefully it will get better.   I just can't stop thinking how much better it would be if they got Jay Leno and Matt Farah (look up TheSmokingTire on Youtube) to be on the show. "
Ya the helicopter thing sounds forced just to get a quick WOW factor. 

@KaosAngel said:
" @Afroman269: The group aura isn't there, jokes are lame, and the car stuff I can just get from the Brits. "
I guess I was expecting this. I'll check it out just to see how it is.
falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#12  Edited By falconer

The second ep is almost done right now. It's a LOT better than the first episode, and I've genuinely liked everything so far. It'll be no time before this show is half as good as the original.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Brendan

It's not great, but you gotta remember that it took a while for the UK version to find its stride as well.  It'll probably get better.
Skytylz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Skytylz

It has better teeth, but other than that it's not as good.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Nasar7

I agree that it was pretty bad. They are sticking too close to the original to the point where it all seems pretty lame. I turned it off when they called their driver The Stig.  Also, the hosts are too young. They are knowledgeable enough and all but sort of obnoxious with lame jokes and forced chemistry. It feels very try hard.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JoelTGM

it won't have Clarkson 

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

They seem to have the ability to have cool events, but the event was ALL the episode consisted of. When it's something as powerful and epic and hilarious as the African or 'Nam episodes of Top Gear, it's not so bad to dedicate that much time, but racing around beign chased by a helicopter? No thanks. The personalities are not the worst, but they are pretty close. American Top Gear isn't really Top Gear, it's a show that does stupid stuff and has cars. But it doesn't have that defining characteristic that is the chaps across the pond who make Top Gear what it is.

kaungo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kaungo

I would say before you guys slam the TG USA, watch the first 3-4 seasons of Top Gear UK. The show was rather awkward and the hosts did not click at all.  Its rather easy to only see the good stuffs from a 15 season strong original show vs. the new show that is still trying to find their "X factor" as Clarkson would often say about Top Gear.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Afroman269
@ShaggyChu: Are the guys still trying to be "funny"? 

@DOUBLESHOCK: Fantastic, fucking fantastic. You can't top Clarkson.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Claude

I've learned a lot in this thread. Thanks.

CSXLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21  Edited By CSXLoser

after seeing that drifting segment in today's episode 

i'm a lot more interested in Top Gear USA :D

falconer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#22  Edited By falconer
@Afroman269 said:
" @ShaggyChu: Are the guys still trying to be "funny"?"
I thought this episode was much better in the funny department.
butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By butano
@SethPhotopoulos: That is just awesome! I love Top Gear, and I'm ashamed that I hadn't seen that video until today. 
Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tsoglani

If you think that Top Gear USA is bad, then you haven't seen Top Gear Australia... seriously, Top Gear Australia is absolute rubbish.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#25  Edited By rjaylee

Like many have said, I just don't find the personalities great in Top Gear USA. While I'd like to give myself the title of a car aficionado, I still mostly watch Top Gear because realistically it's the Jeremy Clarkson/Richard Hammond/James May "Cock-About" Show.

If I really wanted to watch another Top Gear television series that REALLY talked about cars and still had the video production values similar to Top Gear, I'd rather just watch Fifth Gear. Tiff Needell is simply the best (plus he was actually a race car driver, so he's got some real credentials).

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Afroman269
@Tsoglani: I didn't even know there was one lol.
Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tsoglani
@Afroman269 said:
" @Tsoglani: I didn't even know there was one lol. "
Yeah, it's pretty bad. Shonky, mostly because it feels and looks like they try too hard to sustain the feel and style of the British presenters. They have already gotten rid of one of the original hosts who just happened to be British, and I thought he was the better one of the three. Top Gear Australia needs to die...
Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By Jambones

A weak start but I can see it improving...hopefully soon.

bigman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By bigman247

@Afroman269: i genuinely felt sick watching top gear USA as they have copied everything about the original but with a trio of fucking idiots for presenters,

JM12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JM12088

They aired the first episode on BBC3 last night. I turned it off quickly because one of the morons presenting the show kept saying "epic" and it pissed me off.

Declaring something is epic on the internet is nerdy enough doing it in real life is just cringe worthy. I'll stick to the original...even though last season sucked.

BiffMcBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BiffMcBlumpkin

It's fucking awful. The combined charisma of those three fuckfaces hosting the US version wouldn't fill a thimble.

It's a piss poor imitation of the UK version. Almost everyone here has BBCA at this point, and they're constantly playing Top Gear. I can't imagine why anyone would watch the unwatchable American version over the original.

It's just as bad as that Life on Mars remake.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Example1013

I like watching them fuck up cheap old cars. Like when the dude dragged the OJ-mobile across the road.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#34  Edited By Deranged

It's ok... but the British Top Gear is much MUCH better.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By 71Ranchero

Top Gear USA is terrible. I was glad when it looked like they were canned but I guess they will be back for another season after all. Shame.

PSB_Vam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By PSB_Vam

For me, its not Top Gear without Clarkson, Hammond, May and the Stig together. That being said , Top Gear and Top Gear USA need to come head-to-head in a competition, like TG and TG Australia did. Seeing Clarkson making fun of them would be great =P

crajon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By crajon

I hate it, kinda makes me cringe.