Timezones

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Wuddel

Hum. I watched the panel today. And it just occurred to me.

Timezones. Fuck'em. Why still have timezones? Who gives a shit what the number on the clock is. Why can't we all use GMT or something?

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

Because that wouldn't make sense.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By crusader8463

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

Why not? There would be a transition period but after awhile it would all even out. Would make life much easier.

inkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By inkerman

Because time needs to make sense. People would have to get used to the idea that in one place midday is at 4 am, and in another at 9pm.

TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose

@crusader8463 said:

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

Why not? There would be a transition period but after awhile it would all even out. Would make life much easier.

Because it's a lot more convenient to know that 12.00 = noon everywhere, than it is to know that 02.30 = noon in New York and that 06.00 = noon in Copenhagen.

(pulled those numbers out of my arse)

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By mosespippy

Screw timezones. The time right now is @290 beats.

von_wemberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By von_wemberg

Yeah! Swatch internet time all the way, duders!

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By iam3green

it would be confusing, in some places it would be 3pm and dark, while it's like 7and dark. i don't think it would be good. 

maybe if the earth was flat then we could.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By singular

Too bad the sun doesn't shine everywhere at once huh?

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By Sooty

WHAT IF THE 5 O CLOCK I SEE ISN'T THE 5 O CLOCK YOU SEE

No Caption Provided
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AlexW00d

@SinGulaR said:

How does this matter?

If everyone could forget that their 12pm was the middle of their working day then it would work fine. Just get rid of am and pm, and have a 24 hour clock. Seems a good idea to me, but the transition would be a bit weird for some.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ravenlight

@enpopica said:

Yeah! Swatch internet time all the way, duders!

This guy's got it! Beats all the way!

CptChiken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By CptChiken

I think its much more sensible to have 12 noon be midday everywhere. shit would just be wrong otherwise.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#15  Edited By BeachThunder

@CptChiken said:

I think its much more sensible to have 12 noon be midday everywhere. shit would just be wrong otherwise.

I love how relevant your avatar is to your comment :D

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By singular

@AlexW00d said:

@SinGulaR said:

How does this matter?

If everyone could forget that their 12pm was the middle of their working day then it would work fine. Just get rid of am and pm, and have a 24 hour clock. Seems a good idea to me, but the transition would be a bit weird for some.

I don't know about you, but I would like my biorithm to fit to the enviroment around me. And getting up when it's night outside just because the clock tells me it isn't night but 7am does not only seem wrong to me, but totally unnatural.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By AlexW00d

@SinGulaR: You didn't read a single bit of what I wrote did you? I said we ditch the idea of am and pm, just numbers. That way we have nothing that shows 7 should be morning. Everywhere has 24 hour days still, and they go from midnight to midnight like now, but they just don't go from 12am to 11.59pm, they from 7 to 6.59 or 16 to 15.59. That kind of stuff.

Obviously this would never happen so it doesn't matter, but we can all hypothesise.

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Wuddel

@AlexW00d said:

@SinGulaR: You didn't read a single bit of what I wrote did you? I said we ditch the idea of am and pm, just numbers. That way we have nothing that shows 7 should be morning. Everywhere has 24 hour days still, and they go from midnight to midnight like now, but they just don't go from 12am to 11.59pm, they from 7 to 6.59 or 16 to 15.59. That kind of stuff.

Obviously this would never happen so it doesn't matter, but we can all hypothesise.

Exactly am/pm is more a amercian thing. Guess we have to wait until we start colonizing Mars or so.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By louiedog

That would make it easier for scheduling something with people around the globe, but it's not exactly difficult to calculate the time difference. You say, "we'll have the conference call at 11:00 EST," and people can figure it out easily. However, for unscheduled communication it becomes a problem. If we use GMT and I want to give my good friend in Sydney a call at 16:30 which is late morning for me but early morning for them. How do I know that? Do I consult a map with a current night/daylight overlay? Is there a timetable with common wake/sleep times for every area on Earth? With everyone on the same time how do I know what those times mean for people in different places? Under the current system it's very easy to know exactly what part of day any place is in, regardless of my familiarity with it.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By mosespippy

@dudeglove said:

Because the planet rotates across the sun, and they figured how to measure this shit out millenia ago, so it's not going to change any time soon.

Hate to burst your bubble but minutes as a measure of time and distance are only centuries old, not millenia old. That's why way back in the day moments were a measure of time that were 1/40th of an hour. They had moments because minutes didn't exist yet.

singular

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By singular

@Wuddel said:

@AlexW00d said:

Exactly am/pm is more a amercian thing. Guess we have to wait until we start colonizing Mars or so.

I get it. Put wouldn't considering the sleep/wake cycle of the part of the planet you communicate with be just like considering the timezone? I mean where is the difference between "Their buisness hours are from 17:00 till 01:00." and "Their timezone is mine +9 hours." Where would be the merit in a change there?

BTW: The shedule on Giant Bomb shows times relevant to the timezone you are in.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By crusader8463

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

@crusader8463 said:

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

Because it's a lot more convenient to know that 12.00 = noon everywhere, than it is to know that 02.30 = noon in New York and that 06.00 = noon in Copenhagen.

I'm confused.... I'm agreeing that we should have the same time everywhere but your first post is against it then your second one is that you are for it....

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

@mosespippy said:

@dudeglove said:

Because the planet rotates across the sun, and they figured how to measure this shit out millenia ago, so it's not going to change any time soon.

Hate to burst your bubble but minutes as a measure of time and distance are only centuries old, not millenia old. That's why way back in the day moments were a measure of time that were 1/40th of an hour. They had moments because minutes didn't exist yet.

Yeah...I'm sure you really 'bursted his bubble'. I hope you can pick up on this sarcasm, because I'm laying it on pretty thick.

TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crusader8463 said:

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

@crusader8463 said:

@TheSeductiveMoose said:

I'm confused.... I'm agreeing that we should have the same time everywhere but your first post is against it then your second one is that you are for it....

What?

I'm saying that the time of day is more important to ordinary people than what the international time is.

When I said that it's more convenient to know that 12.00 is noon everywhere, I meant that it's more convenient to know that the sun is at its highest position (almost) at 12.00 regardless of location.

JBird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JBird

@TheSeductiveMoose: I literally have no idea what your saying now! I read this entire thread thinking you have some interesting points but maybe you confused yourself? Is this what your trying to say...

Lets say that everyone in the world decided that GMT was the standard, and we had a 24 hour clock. So when the sun is highest in the sky above Greenwich it is 12 for the entire world. The problem is that for someone in New York, from their perspective the sun is not the highest in the sky is it? To him, the sun will be at its "highest" point not for another 5 hours, so you propose that everyone changes their entire life pattern to live following GMT. Everyone eats lunch at 12noon, whether its dark, suns rising, setting or whatever. This is in no way a good idea.

For my dude in new York to live a normal life and eat lunch when the sun is highest in the sky, following GMT he would be eating at about 5pm. At this point there is no real advantage to anyone outside of the UK. Everyone will be living the same life that they already lived but following British Time, which is kinda dumb.

TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@JBird: I have no idea how you can have trouble understanding what it is I'm saying, though to be fair I'm not entirely sober.

I have argued against removing timezones because 12.00 should always be when the sun is at its highest for wherever you live, which is what we use now (timezones).

Jesus Christ, maybe I should just give up on English and start writing everything in my native language.