'Tis the Season, Video Game Halloween Costume Ideas?

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey guys, its that time of year and Halloween is nearly upon us, time for all those costumed parties!

Usually I'm a big fat dud when it comes to costume parties and I just do a last minute rummage through my wardrobe to slap something together, last year it was Alan Wake - a blazer and a hoody. With two weeks to go I thought this year I'd actually give it a proper go.

So, any ideas for a video game themed Halloween costume? Or any you've done in the past that went down pretty well? Post pictures if you have. Generic zombie would be a bit lame I think as it could tie to anything. Also trying to strike a balance between full on Cosplay sewing and gluing stuff together and just random clothes thrown together.

Thanks.

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By morningstar

Mike Haggar!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Run through the streets naked and start yelling, "THE PATRIOTS ARE CONTROLLING US ALL!" and other such nonsense.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@morningstar: I wish I had the build of Haggar to pull that off. Maybe it would be all the more hilarious because I don't, hmm...

@video_game_king: I'm trying to break from the mould and not go as something I do every friday night, I do cartwheels and everything.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Snail

Vinny.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

If you have a high school/college letter jacket and access to some kind of animal mask, you could be Jacket from Hotline Miami.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Naked Raiden. You're welcome.

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No Caption Provided

You know you want to

daggon55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By daggon55

I usually don't dress up for Halloween but this year I'm going to a couple events so I decided I needed to put together something. So with only a couple weeks to go I figured I'd go with something simple Agent 47. The basic costume is just a 2 button notch lapel black suit (I already have one), a red tie and leather gloves (both easy to get). Also the bald thing is easy for me because I'm naturally part of the way there anyway. Throw in a couple airsoft 1911s, a dual shoulder holster and a temporary barcode tattoo and I'm set. But then I thought, well this is too easy, I should put a little more effort in. So I decided I could make a briefcase for the guns.

I have zero experience making props or costumes so I didn't set my expectations high, but I came up with a plan and took my best try at it. The results were okay, not good by professional standards certainly, but for my first try I'm pleased with it. Also I had a ton of fun putting it together and screwing up several times.

So for the outside I figured keep it simple, just a cheap vinyl briefcase, get a hitman logo, cut a stencil and use some silver spray paint. Unfortunately the cheap briefcase I got from amazon had this stitched thing in the center I didn't notice, so I had to improvise on the placement.

No Caption Provided

Overall not terrible, but there is a little bleeding on the edges. Next time I should use some double sided tape or something to keep that down. Or maybe I'll try some paint thinner and a small brush to try and clean it up a bit.

Next up the inside. I decided to again go simple and use some dry foam to make the inserts for the guns and to just stretch felt over that. Then use some soft foam with more felt for the top so it closes over the space as evenly as I could make it. It turned out okay.

No Caption Provided

The obvious defects here are that the felt bunches and wrinkles so it doesn't look great up close. Still it has the right effect and didn't take me too long or cost too much. I did make a huge mess with the dry foam though. Also that center logo bit is just silver paper and also doesn't look great up close. And it was a total pain to try and cut out something that small and detailed. The space below the syringes was meant for some serum vials but those are not going to ship in time, they are surprisingly hard too find if you don't want to order them by the case. The whole thing closes up nicely and I can swing it about and the contents stay put.

So for my freshman prop making effort I think I did ok. I'd give it 3 stars, too many minor defects to ignore put I really enjoyed my time spent making it. I'll probably dry run the whole costume tomorrow when the holster arrives. Also I'm going to have to shave my beard, which will be tough, we've been through a lot.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert: This might not be a bad idea, buy an animal mask from a costume shop and go as someone from Hotline Miami. I'm from the UK though and we don't have those kinds of jackets on hand, I guess I could buy one but then I'd never wear something like that. Maybe the Owl guy with a suit?

@daggon55: For the same reason I was thinking of getting a Slender Man costume together (although I've never played the game) as it's just a suit with a white stocking/ balaklava.