Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

Edited By DBoy

Remixed Trailer

Grand Theft Auto IV Likes & Dislikes

What I liked about the game

• Excellent story: The memorable tale of Niko Belic will forever be etched in my mind as one of the best of all time.
  • Memorable characters: Aside from Niko, every character had his or her own personality, which added tremendously to the story.
  • Stellar voice acting: A superb job from everyone on the cast.
  • Take cover and shoot!: New cover system works wonderfully well.
  • Impressive graphics:There's a new engine under this hood, and it looks damn good.

What I disliked about the game

• This isn't my GTA: While opting for a more serious storyline, Rockstar forgot to include some fun stuff to do while running around in Liberty City.
  • Boring activities: Bowling and shooting pool is fun the first couple of times, but they get old and boring really fast.
  • Friends: No, I seriously do not want to go to the tittie bar or to a show or drinking every 10 minutes!  Stop calling me!
  • B-Sides radio stations: Seriously... where did they come up with this God-awful soundtrack?

The Lowdown

If you know me well, you'll know that I'm a huge Grand Theft Auto fanboy.  The release of GTA IV was, for me anyway, like the second (or fourth?) coming of Christ Himself.  I was actually misty eyed when I finally had the game in my hands.  I couldn't wait to finish work and get home to play the franchise's first foray onto a next-gen console.  Although the game was far from being a disappointment, it certainly wasn't what I expected it to be.  For one, the tone of the story was very serious, something I wasn't used to from previous entries in the franchise.  To me, that sort of detriments what GTA has been all about for almost a decade now.  But please, don't get me wrong here.  I adored the story and the characters immensely, and many of the new gameplay tweaks, such as the cellphone and the ability to take cover, but it just didn't feel like a GTA game at all.  Where was the fun?  And no, bowling and shooting pool do not count as fun activities.  Neither does hunting for flying rats.  However, GTA IV is a superb and masterful achievement, as can attest my 70+ hours spent in Liberty City on my first run-through.  Yes, I did say first, because I intend on going back there as soon as I finish Fallout 3.

The Countdown So Far

10. Fable II
9. SmackDown vs. Raw 2009
8. Gears of War 2
7. Civilization Revolution
6. Saints Row 2
5. Rock Band 2
4. Grand Theft Auto IV
DBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#1  Edited By DBoy

Remixed Trailer

Grand Theft Auto IV Likes & Dislikes

What I liked about the game

• Excellent story: The memorable tale of Niko Belic will forever be etched in my mind as one of the best of all time.
  • Memorable characters: Aside from Niko, every character had his or her own personality, which added tremendously to the story.
  • Stellar voice acting: A superb job from everyone on the cast.
  • Take cover and shoot!: New cover system works wonderfully well.
  • Impressive graphics:There's a new engine under this hood, and it looks damn good.

What I disliked about the game

• This isn't my GTA: While opting for a more serious storyline, Rockstar forgot to include some fun stuff to do while running around in Liberty City.
  • Boring activities: Bowling and shooting pool is fun the first couple of times, but they get old and boring really fast.
  • Friends: No, I seriously do not want to go to the tittie bar or to a show or drinking every 10 minutes!  Stop calling me!
  • B-Sides radio stations: Seriously... where did they come up with this God-awful soundtrack?

The Lowdown

If you know me well, you'll know that I'm a huge Grand Theft Auto fanboy.  The release of GTA IV was, for me anyway, like the second (or fourth?) coming of Christ Himself.  I was actually misty eyed when I finally had the game in my hands.  I couldn't wait to finish work and get home to play the franchise's first foray onto a next-gen console.  Although the game was far from being a disappointment, it certainly wasn't what I expected it to be.  For one, the tone of the story was very serious, something I wasn't used to from previous entries in the franchise.  To me, that sort of detriments what GTA has been all about for almost a decade now.  But please, don't get me wrong here.  I adored the story and the characters immensely, and many of the new gameplay tweaks, such as the cellphone and the ability to take cover, but it just didn't feel like a GTA game at all.  Where was the fun?  And no, bowling and shooting pool do not count as fun activities.  Neither does hunting for flying rats.  However, GTA IV is a superb and masterful achievement, as can attest my 70+ hours spent in Liberty City on my first run-through.  Yes, I did say first, because I intend on going back there as soon as I finish Fallout 3.

The Countdown So Far

10. Fable II
9. SmackDown vs. Raw 2009
8. Gears of War 2
7. Civilization Revolution
6. Saints Row 2
5. Rock Band 2
4. Grand Theft Auto IV
Avatar image for eightbitwarrior
EightBitWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By EightBitWarrior

OH MY GAWD DENIS YOU GAVE GTA4 #4 YOU ARE DUMB OK OPINION OF YOURS = THUMBS DOWN

temperedvortex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By temperedvortex

nice choice! GTA IV definetly derserves at least to be in the top 5, its actually a nominee for my GOTY awards

BraindeadRacr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By BraindeadRacr

GTAIV was a great game, but as you pointed out, most of the "fun" stuff ran very old quickly and once done with the story there wasn't much left to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

GTA4 was a masterpiece that I never wanted to end. And boy, did it end quite quickly (or a GTA game).

Avatar image for deactivated-579a5a254c9a3
deactivated-579a5a254c9a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

what the fuck this game got 98% on metacritic and you're saying there are BETTER GAMES THAN THIS?

Quadrifoglio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By Quadrifoglio

I'm with you on the whole "it's not as fun as it used to be" thing.

ElectricHaggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ElectricHaggis

GTA IV was probably my favourite in the series so far.  Putting at 4 may catch you a bit of heat :-P, though not from me.  I can't think what the top 3 will be now besides Fallout 3.

Brandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By Brandy

Does this mean I'm special for knowing your choices beforehand? :D

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By lordofultima

While we can agree to disagree, I'll say fast score 8.2. thanks.

MrBojangles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By MrBojangles

no roman, i don't want to go fucking bowling!